Post your unpopular opinions

I have no interest in thanking Troops for their service. I tend to view them as gullible rubes for allowing someone to talk them into deadly indentured servitude for any reason, regardless of how noble they make the brainwashing sound. If we need an Army badly enough for a critical defense event, then we should draft for it and if its a good enough reason, then Parents will allow their children to go without causing a revolution. So to me, volunteering for the “all ready just add water” Military isnt noble, its enabling asshole behavior by our Government that would not be tolerated if we had to draft for the same fights. So i dont really want to thank well intentioned but misguided brainwashed enablers.

There is an inverse relationship to the number of tattoos you have and your IQ.

Girl Scout cookies are disgusting.

The majority of jobs in the military aren’t deadly, and you don’t know what “indentured servitude” actually means.

While I respect the military, I don’t get warm fuzzy feelings when I see troops coming home, especially if they’re surprising their kids for the TV cameras. I know a little too much about what their families will face in the years to come. Sorry.

You know those those big bullies who value the Second Amendment above all other items in the constitution combined, professes contempt and hatred…biblically justified, of course…for everything that doesn’t conform to their macho/bigoted/etc worldview despite not being regular churchgoers, and expects everyone to get in line with their way of thinking?

Well they should be watched, and branded FAILURES when things don’t go their way.

You know how they say the top 10% controls the top 90%+ of wealth? Well, how much does the BOTTOM 10% waste?

Tom Waits has an absolutely SHITTY voice.

I agree with most of the above, except for the “gullible and brainwashed” part. Are there some like that? Sure. But the main recruiting force comes from abject poverty in the U.S. The kind the U.N. recently compared to third world conditions.

It’s actually a rational decision for many as the only likely route out of poverty; years of guaranteed employment, paid college and medical coverage for them and their family, and possibly a pension when they’re out.

I 100% wish we would shutter most of our 800 military bases and shrink our military, and actually only use it for defense instead of endless offense. But while I don’t buy into the “heroes” narrative, I don’t blame soldiers either for grabbing a lifeline in our shitty war-based economy so they have a chance of surviving the oligarch-induced poverty that 50% of people have to deal with.

Should people who complain about Trump in general check out the UK Head of State too?

The Queen is highly regarded all around the world and recognised as an experienced and extremely good diplomat, so I’m really not sure what your point is here.

I wonder if UY Scuti meant the UK PM. Our Prime Ministers usually seem to decline in popularity, honesty, competence and integrity as their time in office increases.

As I understand it, the Queen is considered Head of State in the U.K., while the Prime Minister is Head of Government. The U.S. seems to be in the minority of countries (although it’s not exactly rare, either) where the two positions are held by the same person/office.

If Trump and the Queen are utterly different, so are the USA and UK, in my opinion, due to their history, geography, culture, etc.

“Mommy juice” is stupid, and so are the women who use their motherhood as a pass to be alcoholics.

There’s a TLC “documentary” about a family with six profoundly autistic kids. One kid with neuro issues just happens. The second child with same issues - eh, bad roll of the dice.

Then third kid: maybe it’s time to call it stops. Going on to have a fourth, fifth, and sixth autistic child? Wow, could this be a genetic issue? Maybe it’s time to call it quits? These kids don’t have Aspberger’s, they are at the extremes of the autistic scale.

Mind you, many families provide loving, wonderful homes for autistic kids. But not these parents. Conditions were appalling: filthy house, furniture in shreds, walls and doors punched in and smeared with shit no bed linens, and so on. The poor kids sit in corners rocking back and forth, screaming, and self-injuring; the conditions are basically those of a horrifying state hospital.

The family is impoverished, the kids don’t receive any learning or social services. The parent’s solution is locking screaming kids. Into bedrooms.

Mom and dad called the kids “gifts from Heaven” sent by God (surprise! They’re fundy Evangelicals). Pure Bulllshit. I complained to TLC then contacted CPS in these diot breeders live in and requested a wellness check.

I suppose my opinion may be unpopular because I don’t think it’s ethical to purposefully bring kids Into a family that can’t/won’t take care of offspring – it’s abuse of the very worst kind.

Wait, “don’t be an alcoholic” is an unpopular opinion nowadays?

Hillary Clinton was an absolutely terrible choice for the Democrats and easily worse than Bernie Sanders (although he had his own problems); the novelty of electing the first woman President was pretty much the only reason to vote for her. However, she would’ve been a far better president than Donald Trump precisely because she’s a woman, and therefore wouldn’t be able to get away with the same crap. She would’ve faced ferocious opposition at every turn, hence be unable to enact her most harmful policies and be forced to negotiate and make compromises. We wouldn’t have war with Russia, and we definitely wouldn’t have rampant xenophobia and an obsession with coal mining and thousands and thousands of stupid tweets.

YouTube is fantastic. Tons and tons of on-demand entertainment that no other website can come close to matching, with plenty of great people with witty, informative, or thought-provoking comments. Sure it attracts its share of cretins, but it doesn’t allow them to run wild, and if you don’t start anything most of them will have the good sense to leave you alone. In fact, the only thing I’d change would be to make blocking someone prevent that user’s comments from appearing anywhere, not just my personal page (I don’t understand the logic behind this at all). I know that are serious issues with things like demonetization and overzealous copyright enforcement, but these are fixable problems, and there’s no reason to believe good sense won’t eventually prevail.

“No sex until you all cut the crap” is one of the best ways of combating stupid, harmful policies or social injustice. In fact, I’d go a step further: No sex or children. And if this means the human race goes extinct, it’ll be exactly what we deserve.

Any attempt to solve problems of homelessness or poverty that doesn’t put birth control front and center is in the realm of cockamamie crackpot fantasy. Furthermore, there are many, many, many instances where mandatory sterilization is absolutely justified.

Rape culture, and reprehensible worldviews in general (Nazis, MRAs, PUAs, white supremacists, etc.), will not end until evil men start paying for their crimes with their lives, and then keep dying until society wises the hell up or there are none left to die. Until this happens, we will never see anything more than token, fleeting change.

The argument over the designated hitter is a stupid colossal waste of time, and both leagues should just go with an 8-man batting order. If avenging an HBP is so goddam important, throw a pie in his face or something.

Japan is a pretty damn miserable place overall. Most Americans who took a vacation there would at best be bored as hell, and you’d have to be out of your mind to want to live there.

The PS3 is the best 7th generation console by every metric, and it not even close.

Maybe we should consider bringing monarchy back to the U.S.

As a President Trump is unbelievably awful; he’d be way more suited to being a mostly powerless, purely symbolic King though. Excessive opulent wealth, pomp and circumstance, attending ceremonies and celebrations all the time - it would all be right up Trump’s alley. And meanwhile we could have a Prime Minister doing the actual governing with Trump just a sideshow. He gets to be King, we get our country back - everybody wins.

Has the U.S. ever been a monarchy?

Only up until 1783. :wink:

You’ll find that, yes Somalis too, can be judged on their merit. Canada’s Minister of Immigration, Ahmed Hussen, is a Somali man born and raised in Mogadishu. He’s quite accomplished and we’re lucky for having him.