Often considered the turning point of the series, the episode reveals a character to be an imposter, breaking many established points from past and future episodes. Series creator Matt Groening deems this episode non-canon.[1]
Yep, even on that trivial thing you are really silly.
That sounds about right. With very few *exceptions, everything after season 8 is trash. And that episode was episode 2 of season 9.
…and actually, now that I think about it, episode 1, The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson (had to look it up), was pretty good, at least as I remember it. Granted, it’s been a while.
*Season 11’s Behind the Laughter was also pretty good. A rare standout.
Yes, exactly. When the police say, “calm down”, it’s an order from someone holding a gun at you. Does that work to prevent violence? Maybe? It’s better than actually firing the gun. But it’s not something that’s helpful to say in a verbal spat between equals.
I’m no expert on police methods, but based on my morbid fascination with many of these kinds of bodycam videos, I’d say no, exactly not.
Sure, historically police can sometimes be abusive. I’m not here to defend them. But from what I’ve seen, when police weapons are involved, whether lethal or non-lethal, orders are curt and direct: “show me your hands”, “get on the ground”, “hands behind your back”. If the subject is still being obnoxious while cuffed and arrested, the most frequent command is “stop resisting” and threats of more charges.
I most often hear a phrase like “calm down” (a) during the initial stage of a confrontation, before it’s out of control, and when (b) no weapons are involved, and when (c) it’s a clear attempt at de-escalation, something modern police are explicitly trained to do. I’ve most often seen it used as an attempt to de-escalate a situation as a prelude to dialog.
Perhaps not, but it’s something we may be inclined to say in the Pit to highlight the fact that someone is ridiculously overreacting. If “calm down” is unhelpful, do you think “fuck off” – the apparently favourite phrase of the volatile poster in question – is helpful?
I wasn’t trying to be helpful[1] in the slightest, asshole. I was expressing my displeasure at your completely unasked-for and misguided lecturing. So it worked exactly as intended.
How’s that utterly insincere “Calm Down” working for you, though?
What are you even on about? MrDibble gets angry and hateful at times, but you don’t see him tone policing or telling people off for being angry at him. Nor does he lecture you about what your words must have reasonably meant, which is what started this whole spat.
“At times”? Does he ever take time off from this persona?
This is jerkish because it grossly misrepresents what I said. Again, Dibble’s post made it sound like he was amazed that so much of the SDMB was so militaristic. I clarified that the SDMB was not, but that being so heavily America-centric, it just represented American culture. He said, yeah, I was just lamenting that fact. I said I had made the point just to clarify since it sounded like he had been talking about SDMB culture.
At which point, as he is so frequently wont to do, Dibble exploded with insults like a high-powered grenade. I’m not the only one who’s noted his volatile and abrasive personality here. I only hope he’s not like that IRL.
Not what I said. I said the deference shown was what never ceases to amaze me.
No, that’s not all you said - you said my own actual explanation of what I posted was unreasonable.
Go back and reread - my first post to you was entirely free of animus. And then you had to tell me it was unreasonable for me to mean what I actually meant because you interpreted it differently. Like a contrarian shitstain.
If someone tells you what they meant, the correct response is a simple "Oh, I see’. Not "Well, my reading of it was this, because I need to centre my interpretation and deep insight into blah blah blah. ".
My experience with wolfpup is that he’s (unintentionally?) condescending; and then when folks get annoyed at him, he claims to be surprised and dismayed. He’s being calm and polite; why are they mad at him? It must be their fault. He is, after all, blameless.
It’s apparently an approach that’s served him well in life so far.