Potato photo sells for €1 million!

:eek::smack::confused:

What’s more lucrative than Johnny Depp or Yoko Ono? A photogenic potato, at least for renowned celebrity photographer Kevin Abosch.

His “Potato #345” — a simple portrait of an organic Irish spud — reportedly sold for €1 million ($1.08 million) last year to a European businessman, who saw it while dining at Abosch’s Paris home.

The 46-year-old Irish visual artist — who typically charges up to $500,000 for portraits of famous figures — revealed earlier this month that the sale, brokered over a few glasses of wine, was the biggest of his career.

In 2010, Abosch made three prints of the now-famous tuber: one hangs in his private collection, the other was donated to a museum in Serbia, and the third was sold.

But why shoot the humble spud?

***“I see commonalities between humans and potatoes that speak to our relationship as individuals within a collective species,” says Abosch.

“Generally, the life of a harvested potato is violent and taken for granted. I use the potato as a proxy for the ontological study of the human experience.”***

:smiley:

I’m from Idaho, and I can tell you that is one nice potato.

I have to say it looks a bit like an 80 year-old man’s ball sack.

I thought it was one of Pluto’s moons.

I demand royalties!

I wonder what it would be like to live in a world that made sense.

That guy should get in on tulip futures before it’s too late.

standingwave:

I’ve closed your thread for two reasons-

1. You posted the majority of the linked article, which starts to stretch the limit of fair use

2. You did not indicate that most of what you posted was quoted from the article.

We ask posters to contribute more than a link to their OPs, and by simply quoting most of your article without adding anything of your own, you really haven’t contributed much to the discussion. You are welcome to try this thread again, keeping these issues in mind.