Potential iPod purchase

I’ve been technolusting after one of these for a long, long time. Now I finally have the money and cajones to nab one, but I’ve been wondering: How likely is it that Apple will change the style of the iPod anytime soon?

I know they fairly recently (this year) came out with Style2 (my nomenclature), which IMO is a snazzy step up from Style1. But a friend suggested (idlly, not on rumors or anything) that maybe they’d release a version with changable faceplates, or some other small bonus. The holidays coming up and all.

I’m not really concerned about what comes out in February or what have you. Technology marches on, etc. Nor am I necessarily ga-ga over faceplates. I’d just hate to miss out on something only a month or so away, considering how much I’ve thought about this.

Anyway, I’m just putting this out there in case any of y’all might know something I don’t. Many thanks.

Given Apple’s history, IMO they won’t radically change the iPod design again after upgrading it earlier this year. They might do a promo for the holidays (holiday-themed etchings, maybe?), but not a total redesign.

That said, if you want to change the color of your iPod, several companies sell cases in various colors. No anxiety there. :slight_smile:

Take the plunge before you come to your senses!
You won’t regret it. I have the earlier style (which is actually v.2) and still love it.

After doing a lot of reading about MP3 players here and elsewhere online, I decided to buy the Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen NX (it just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?)
I’m totally having buyer’s remorse and will probably running back to the store this weekend to return it and buy an iPod. The Zen is a good product but I didn’t realize that it has a sensitive harddrive so I can’t take it running with me. iPod apparently is much better at taking that shock. [The only things that stopped me from buying one originally were the firewire connection to PC (which has been resolved so you can use usb2.0) and the fact it doesn’t take .wma files.] I did see a bunch of new MP3 players coming out on the market but that’s always the case with technology, you can always wait for the new version to come out or you can just buy one now

I don’t think the iPod will change anymore this year, however, next year expect more diversity of offerings. Why not a picture viewer, or video player or hologram-like thing? My professional field is strategic technology planning, and the core nature of the business necessitates that what you buy today will be less modern next week. But that should not matter if you want the benefits of the best portable music player available today.

The Zen, like all the rest of the pack, seems third rate in comparison. After holding it for a minute, I really couldn’t take it seriously. Interface accounts for a lot with these devices.

But I am biased, having owned a 3rd generation iPod since August. It is wonderful on all levels. The new accessories seem very promising as well. You can get an exo iskin silicon case in dozens of colors too.

Life is too short, buy an iPod today.

You’re so close, you’ve made the right choice of recognizing that you want an iPod. Now just take the dive and your journey will be complete! Do it! Do it now!

It’s unlikely that a new version will come out soon for the holidays; Apple doesn’t really have a track record of doing that. The last new upgrade, after all, happened around spring of this year IIRC, not around the holiday season. All the upgrades that I’ve heard about (more focused on using the iPod as a general media hard drive) are for the current models, anyway.

And for what it’s worth, I have the previous model that I bought last year, and even seeing all the new upgrades and the new much bigger sizes I don’t regret it or have buyer’s envy for a second. A bigger one would be nice (story of my life), but it’s not killing me or anything.

Ipods are pretty sexy, but I feel it is my civic duty to advocate CD-based MP3 players if it is going to be a “use in the car” or “slip in the backpack/purse” type deal. I just burn a new CD about every two weeks with all the music I want to listen to on it. Even after listening to the same CD for a month I still find new songs. I’ve never had it skip, the batteries last forever, it’s durable as anything and my version has a nifty wired remote that makes navigation a pleasure. Plus, you can listen to your (or your friend’s) regular CDs on it when the mood strikes.

And with the $200-$400 dollars you save, you can take a cheap vacation, buy some other nifty new gadget, have a meal you’ll rememeber for the rest of your life or treat all your friends with iPods to drinks an see who is sexy now.

Of course, if you have your heart set on an iPod, go for it.

The current model is 3rd generation. The first one had a mechanical dial instead of a touch-sensitive ring.

I have the 2nd model and Apple has been pretty good at supporting it. For example, a couple of months ago they released a new firmware which adds Audible audiobook support to the older model iPod (Windows version).

Actually, there was an upgrade less than two months ago (immediately after I got mine–and I’ll never stop bitching about that! :stuck_out_tongue: ) The old 15 Gb model (which is what I got) has been upgraded to 20 Gb (same price), and the old 30 Gb model has been upgraded to 40 Gb.

Still, it’s just incredible to be able to walk around with hundreds of albums stored in this gizmo the size of a lighter!

My “in the car” iPod experience is daily and wonderful. I formerly used a decent “no-skip” portable CD player and it was a frustrating situation. Now, I no longer suffer skips from the player and the bulkiness of carrying that thing around. The player was really too large to carry on my person, so I would fumble in the little backpack to find it, often in those dark mornings. In addition, a 700 MB CDR holds a small percentage of the capacity of any of the current iPods. You are limited in the flexibility of playlist, and you gotta keep burnin’ discs.

You can get a $20 generic cell phone holder at a Radio Shack that fits onto your dashboard vents nicely to hold the iPod.

If your auto stereo head unit has an audio in socket, just jack the iPod through the headphone out. If not, like me, you spend another $20 on a Sony cassette adapter and plug that into the iPod headphone jack. Then you are good.

A third approach is to buy a Belkin auto connect kit ($50) that both recharges your iPod from the auto lighter socket via the firewire bottom jack. The Belkin has a mini-amp into which the head unit in plug goes. This way provides the best quality sound and strong volume.

iPods and all these toys do require a nice chunk of money, but if one is already seriously considering the purchase, then that issue is most likely resolved.

Apple’s plans seem to revolve around offering additional plugins. A week or two ago (when they released iTunes for Windows) they alse launched some plugin devices – a camera memory card reader and a microphone, if I remember rightly.