I am making a recipe tonight that calls for a pound of pasta. Does this mean a pound after it is cooked? How much dry pasta should I buy to end up with a pound of pasta for the recipe?
Thanks…
I am making a recipe tonight that calls for a pound of pasta. Does this mean a pound after it is cooked? How much dry pasta should I buy to end up with a pound of pasta for the recipe?
Thanks…
It generally means a pound precooked.
I’d agree with that. You usually weight pasta precooked, or measure it in cup measures, if you’re not using really rule-of-thumb techniques like ‘a handful of spaghetti.’
As an aside - is dry pasta sold in one-pound or two-pound packages down there? Here in canada they’re usually marked as ‘900g’ or ‘450g’, which comes pretty much to the same things.
[QUOTE=chrisk]
As an aside - is dry pasta sold in one-pound or two-pound packages down there? Here in canada they’re usually marked as ‘900g’ or ‘450g’, which comes pretty much to the same things.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, it is. But I measure spaghetti by the “handfull” or the “big handfull”.
[QUOTE=chrisk]
As an aside - is dry pasta sold in one-pound or two-pound packages down there?
[/QUOTE]
Pasta is always sold in one-pound packages, except for the extremely popular shapes like spaghetti and linguine which also often come in half-pounds – for singletons and dieters, I suppose.
I’ve never come across a two-pound bag of pasta.
Noodles (as in non-Italian egg noodles, to go under stew or into soup) seem to come in 12-ounce bags nearly as often as in pounds. I wonder why that is.
One pound packages are the rule, at least where I’ve lived.
For some reason, angel hair pasta often comes in 12oz boxes.
[QUOTE=Ukulele Ike]
Pasta is always sold in one-pound packages, except for the extremely popular shapes like spaghetti and linguine which also often come in half-pounds – for singletons and dieters, I suppose.
I’ve never come across a two-pound bag of pasta.
Noodles (as in non-Italian egg noodles, to go under stew or into soup) seem to come in 12-ounce bags nearly as often as in pounds. I wonder why that is.
[/QUOTE]
You New Yorkers need to get out more. You can buy 2 or even 3-pound boxes of spaghetti. Likewise for macaroni. Of course, it’s not going to be the same quality as you get.
Thanks, all. I figured it would be the dry amount in a package but I wanted to be sure before I went to the market. I just bought a one pound bag of fusilli for dinner.