Predict what my doctor will tell me (TMI)

I’m off to the doctor in 20 minutes. I’m curious as to what you guys think the issue might be, though.

A little background. I’m 34 years old, eat a low-carb paleo diet consisting mostly of grass-fed beef, pastured pork, eggs, nuts, wild-caught seafood, and vegetables. I occasionally eat fruits such as berries or cherries. I generally do not eat grains, drink alcohol, eat sugars other than those found in fruit, or eat dairy, although one divergence last week may play into this. I am overweight but not obese and I exercise 5-6 times a week, either body-weight calisthenics, a kettlebell workout, or Couch to 5K. I take a nightly magnesium supplement but no other meds.

I went to strict paleo from a Primal diet (basically paleo plus dairy) in early June. I ate a completely clean diet for three weeks–nothing I hadn’t cooked myself. My bowel function, which was normally constipation, regulated itself. Then our power went out for six days and I had to eat out a bit. On the 4th of July, after five days of living with my in-laws, I drank a few hard ciders and had a meal at a Brazilian steakhouse, where I had one pao de queijo (Brazilian cheese puff made with tapioca flour). My body repaid me with three days of constipation.

Sunday night I felt like I had to poop all night but couldn’t. Monday morning I woke up with diarrhea. I took an Imodium so I could make it to work. I have not had a solid bowel movement since. I feel like I have to go pretty much constantly, but usually when I try, nothing comes out. It’s worse in the morning and evenings. Nobody else in my household is having this problem, and we’re all eating pretty much the same things.

What do you think the doc will tell me?

I think the doctor will tell you to stop worrying about your poop so much.

I’m not worried about my poop. I’m worried about spending 2+ hours of my day on the toilet.

I think the doc will say you have gastroenteritis.

And possibly recommend you eat like a normal person rather than subject yourself to dietary fads.

I’ve been eating this way for two years, I’ve lost over 50 pounds, my cholesterol is down over 30 total points, and I’ve generally never felt better. My doctor is aware of my diet and has absolutely no problem with it. In fact, today he told me what a great job I’d been doing. But thanks for your concern.

What’s faddish about meat n’ veggies? Seems like the “fad” is the crap that’s available in the supermarkets nowadays.

To the OP - Congrats on the diet. I follow MDA myself. I have no idea what the problem might be, but hope everything comes out fine!

This. And the poop advice. And if you are eating the “paleo diet” and getting lots of exercise and are still overweight, perhaps this diet isn’t working for you.

The doctor will tell you to take an Imodium. When you say you did that already he will give you a prescription for whatever is the latest fad diarrhea drug on TV.

Sounds to me like your body didn’t like the diet change over the holiday. Happens to me sometimes when I travel.

If you already talked to your doctor, what was the point of the thread?

Something like this happened to an ex of mine, and I think it turned out to be Celiac’s disease.

You are aware that it takes time to drop over 90 pounds? The exercise is a somewhat recent phenomenon–I started getting more of it after recovering from my breast reduction in December. Before, the giant jugs made exercise a bit difficult. But seriously, I eat real food. There’s not a damn thing wrong with eating real food, and it’s worked amazingly well for me. I actually have no desire to eat the way I used to anymore. I didn’t realize how awful it made me feel until I quit eating processed crap.

Did you READ the OP? I think the very first sentence said I was leaving for the doctor in 20 minutes. I was just curious to see what people thought, seeing as these are odd symptoms that I’ve never experienced.

What did the doctor say? I’m going to guess food poisoning and colitis.

(Your diet sounds great. I wish more people knew that they could significantly lower their cholesterol by cutting out carbs.)

I predict they will tell you it’s nothing, and to come back if you’re still having problems on Monday.

I personally do not follow the Paleo or Primal diets, but have no problem with them. People forget that there is no human dietary requirement for grains.

No telling what the real doctor will say, but as an internet doctor, I say you just need more soluble fiber. Get you some Metamucil capsules with psyllium-husk fiber, or one of the many generic equivalents. (I use the Walmart generic Equate brand, myself.)

P.S. Don’t follow the recommended dosage, which is IMO, too much. Start with 1-2 capsules at a time max, and adjust dosage as necessary depending on outcomes. You’ll quickly get a handle on how many you need, at what times, and how often.

P.P.S. DO follow the recommendation to drink PLENTY of water when taking the capsules.

A friend of mine was on the Paleo diet and loved it. She was generally healthier on the diet but found that she was starting to gain weight rather than lose it. Good on you for making this work, and for clearing it with your doctor.

You’re going to a doctor over this? I can only assume you’re paying nothing out-of-pocket.

My guess is lactose intolerance.

The doctor will take blood and stool samples. If you’re lucky, one of those will tell him something useful, like maybe you got food poisoning when you ate out.