"Pregnant Women are Smug" is bad and it should feel bad

That doesn’t seem relevant to this thread. njtt was saying there’s something in this very thread that evinces an obsession over something.

Hadn’t heard the song until just now. Fucking funny.

Then again, I still laugh at a friend’s discomfort over his asking a woman her due date when she dint have one.

Yes, your OP. I am clearly not the only one who thinks so.

True dat.

Please explain? :confused: How does a single post about a topic one has never written about before give evidence of an obsession?

Can we all at least agree that a lap dance is always better if the stripper is crying?

The questioner isn’t meant to look bad. The questioner is the hero of the song. But it’s a song about the single woman, not about the pregnant woman. The Sun Also Rises is not about bullfighting, it’s about Hemingway.

This isn’t a song that would have been written by Flight of the Conchords (dudes) or by Lahna Turner, a mother of two (I’m talking about the comedy musician, not the classic film star).

It’s a song about what it feels like to be a woman in her early 30s, unmarried, not ready to think about starting a family and to find her circle of friends increasingly becoming settled down and pregnant. This is a song to say to all single women who can relate “You know what? To hell with those smug bitches anyway!” Cue applause and celebratory comeraderie.

The anymosity toward the pregnant woman isn’t to condone true bitter feelings toward the “other”, it is simply a means of shaking off any feelings of inadequacy on behalf of Team Single Woman.

This seems to assume that “to hell with those smug bitches” means something other than “to hell with those smug bitches.” I’m not sure I can see how this can be…

It could be like the “do you have the time?” example above–things people say where they don’t actually mean what they literally said. But it’s very difficult for me to believe “to hell with those smug bitches” is a case like that. For example, not only is the sentence itself said–but arguments are given for it. Evidence is given that pregnant women are smug. Examples. Speculations about motivation. Etc. This all seems to indicate that the statement is meant literally.

You’ve never in your life said “You know what? Fuck that guy” when you didn’t truly have any ill feelings toward that guy, you were just pep talking yourself into no longer dwelling upon what that guy has that you don’t have?

Not: “Fuck that guy! I wish for bad things to befall him! I hold him in contempt!”

But: “Fuck that guy! I’m not going to try to measure up to him anymore, I’m just going to be happy being the best Frylock I can be!”

The song content didn’t bother me at all. The song itself, with its constant stops and talking, didn’t really work for me.

What is with so many people saying that it’s comedy as if that is some sort of argument? Does it being a comedy mean you can’t discuss it’s message? This seems just like people saying that we can’t discuss the implications of a TV show or movie because it’s just fiction.

Plus, the reason why this type of comedy even works is because you accept it to have a nugget of truth. If you truly believe there is nothing wrong with how the pregnant women reacted, the joke fails.

Yeah!

A closer parallel to “fuck that smug bitch” would be “fuck that jaded asshole.” I can’t imagine thinking that without truly having the view that the guy’s a jaded asshole. But even if I could imagine that, to make the scenario really parallel, we would need to stipulate that I not only thought “fuck that jaded asshole” but also went into giving reasons and examples for thinking the guy is a jaded asshole. Given that, not only can’t I imagine myself calling him one without actually thinking he’s a jaded asshole, I can’t imagine anyone doing so. If they’re actually sitting there arguing for the view that he’s a jaded asshole, it’s a sure bet they really mean what they say when they call him a “jaded asshole.”

Similarly, this song isn’t just emoting–it’s actually making the claim* that pregnant women are smug. It’s not just saying that for “single girl power” emoting purposes–it actually tries to support the claim. This means it probably really means what it says

*an exaggerated claim, for sure, but the question of whether it’s meant as literally applying to every pregnant women isn’t at issue here. The question is whether it really is meant to be generalization that really is supposed to apply to pregnant women in some general sense.

To late to edit in an elaboration on my “yeah!” of the prior post, but:

(BTW this is the obvious next step after SuperDude and njtt’s objections to the OP. It’s an absolute mystery to me why one who has been around the boards for years and years wouldn’t anticipate this response and adjust the objection accordingly. It’s even more mysterious to me how njtt could call it a “very good point.” That’s frankly incredible.)

Well, yeah, otherwise you’d end up with a really short song.

Ah, so it’s a problem with your capacity for imagination. O.K. I can accept that.

Well it has a nugget of truth, you just don’t recognize it because you are not the person intended to recognize it – an childless, and possibly childfree-by-choice woman in her 30s with a lot of pregnant friends.

You see, son, women in this society are expected to care about other women’s pregnancies. So, even if they don’t, they participate in a social ritual which involves asking trite, ritualized questions about said pregnancy. In turn, the pregnant woman responds with a set of equally trite, equally ritualized answers. If the pregnant woman is white, educated, and over 30, part of the ritual is explicitly rejecting a preference on gender. They may also raise the subject of breastfeeding, and how they plan to do it, because its so much healthier for the baby. They may also talk about “screen time” and how they plan to limit it, because its so much healthier for the baby. They may also talk about kale, and how they plan to eat it, because it’s so much healthier for the baby. ad infinitum. As if anyone gives a shit about their milk production, tv habits, or choice of greens. Pregnant women feel obligated to declare the socially correct position, non-pregnant women are obligated to listen without contradicting any of the propositions put forth by the pregnant woman. Hence the feeling that the pregnant woman is a bit smug in projecting that all her choices are by far the most superior choices that can be made.

This song is about the ritual and how it is both stupid and predictable, leaving both parties trapped in a cycle of boredom from which there is no escape.

tl;dr “social rituals are annoying” is the subject of this song. Frylock has experienced a whooossh so powerful it broke the sound barrier.

We can only analyze the song we have, not the song we wish we had. :wink:

Sure sure. I’m sure that’s it.

This could be key to the whole thing. Perhaps there’s some kind of massive misunderstanding happening, or maybe this differs from group to group. But for whatever its worth, I don’t think this is true. At least, it’s not true among the people I have been friends with. As far as I know, it’d be perfectly okay (and indeed–many women would be grateful) if you simply ignored it unless they brought it up.

(Depends on the context of course. One video for this song depicts a baby shower. In that case it’d be weird to ignore the pregnancy! But that adds information I don’t think we find in the song itself.)

In this very thread you’ve seen at least three people explicitly agree with the overt message of the song, not the coded message you’re finding in it. The other thread also contains examples. An internet search will show many more.

The song doesn’t depict the pregnant woman as being trapped in a cycle. It depicts her as being smug.

I cosign bienville and Hello Again. The song highlights how difficult it is to have a simple conversation with a certain subset of pregnant people. If you’ve never experienced this in real life, you’re not going to find humor in the song.

Last week, right before my yoga class started, the yoga instructor asked a bunch of us to move closer to front of the room. There was this one recently pregnant lady who was laying on her back in a relaxation pose. “I’ll move in a minute,” she said. “It’s just that I’ve been breastfeeding and I really need to recharge.”

I don’t know the most appropriate adjective to describe this woman. “Self-important” comes real close, and that’s awfully close to “smug”.

That said, that’s the only example I’ve encountered in real life, at least recently.