[QUOTE=Rebecca DiMwitter]
You AREN’T Stephen Colbert??? You have no idea how disillusioned I am, sweetcheeks.
I will admit that I have eaten and sorta liked the spicy pretzel nuggets (can’t recall, are they called “fire nuggets” or something of the like?) but then they have had plenty o’bad fat added to make that delicious seasoning stick to 'em, and naturally, fat & seasoning add all kinds of tastebud-inspiring deliciousness, even to cardboard. But I doubt I’d really ever go and BUY some of these for personal enjoyment. I think it’s partially a texture thing to me—that slimy outside combined with that chalky, splintery inside just doesn’t make the salt hit worthwhile to me.
And I do love me some SALT, contrary to popular belief! Rather swallow my sea salt on the outside of a full margarita glass, however.
Here’s to ya, LOUNE!
[/QUOTE]
I know. I get that reaction a lot. It’s clear that either your palette is much too delicate to handle the complex simplicity that is “pretzels”.
Pennsylvania Dutch Tom Sturgis pretzels were the standard in our house, delivered by visiting relatives. I will say that I trolled for the saltiest ones and often ate just the salt. But Tom Sturgis pretzels dipped in milk? Yummy!
There’s a frozen custard place here (Sheridan’s) that makes a “concrete” (firmish custard dessert) called “Caramel Pretzel Crunch” that is just divine. Vanilla custard, caramel, and pretzel chunks. The pretzels add a nice crunch and saltiness to all the sweetness, and because you have to chew more, they keep you from wolfing the custard down too quickly, which means longer enjoyment. MMMM.
[QUOTE=Max Torque]
There’s a frozen custard place here (Sheridan’s) that makes a “concrete” (firmish custard dessert) called “Caramel Pretzel Crunch” that is just divine.
[/QUOTE]
When I was in St. Louis for a couple of summers, my pals there insisted I go to Ted Drewes for concretes. That was the first time I had heard of such a treat.
Mmmmm pretzels. I have to bring at least two huge bags with me when I come back from the US.
Soft pretzels are good, too - but not here. Here they are covered in chocolate and fruit and god knows what, and mustard must be asked for and is kept under the counter, and sometimes they don’t even have salted, regular pretzels.
While I like the small salt-delivery crunch of stick pretzels okay, there’s an Amish market near us that takes that big, fluffy, squishy, yeasty, warm, salty, smells-like-the-good-childhood-we-all-deserved pretzel dough and wraps it around meat and cheese to make pretzel logs. They are, not to understate it, pure heaven on earth. The dough is simply to DIE for wonderful, and then when you fill them with Amish cheeses and meats, they are simply an explosion of goodness in the mouth.
Also probably 750 calories per bite, but who cares?
Brooklyn is close enuff to Philadelphia/Lancaster County that I can easily obtain DELICIOUS PRETZELS MADE BY AMISH, MENNONITES, AND THE PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH.
There. Those magic words have been said earlier in this thread, but I think they need to be bolded and capitalized. Commercial pretzels suck; small-bakery Eastern Pennsylvania pretzels rock.
Pretzels are nature’s candy. Like grape or dates, they are a natural product designed to civilize human kind and take him away from the temptations of eating flesh.
I’m telling you, if you love hot wings, but don’t care for the prep time or the mess, Snyders of Hanover Hot Buffalo Wing Pieces are unbelievably good. They taste exactly like hot wings!
I find it impossible to eat vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup with a spoon…you must use pretzels, either sticks or traditional shape, as your scooping device. And Trader Joe’s makes these pretzel chips that would work even better…I currently use them for cream chees, but ice cream…oh, my.