Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's Speech

http://thestar.com.my/oic/story.asp?file=/2003/10/16/oic/20031016123438&sec=%20OIC

After reading the full text of Mahathir’s speech and taking into account Islams history in the past 1000 years, we are in for a interesting ride.
The whole tone of his speech rests not on the improvement of muslims for better lives etc, but to regroup and come back at the Jews with new tactics to whom they blame for all thier ills.
Ever since the Islamic world failed to destroy Israel in several wars, new programs were initated, one which is using the Palestinians as pawns for thier greater ambitions.
The textbooks, education, and social construct in Palestine funded by Islamic countries have as the sole intent to create as much hatred as possible towards the Jews.
It has not been wholly successful, which is what Mahathir refers to.
He says,

It is surely time that we pause to think. But will this be wasting time? For well over half a century we have fought over Palestine. What have we achieved? Nothing. We are worse off than before. If we had paused to think then we could have devised a plan, a strategy that can win us final victory. Pausing and thinking calmly is not a waste of time. We have a need to make a strategic retreat and to calmly assess our situation.

and
Those weapons and horses cannot help to defend us any more. We need guns and rockets, bombs and warplanes, tanks and warships for our defence. But because we discouraged the learning of science and mathematics etc as giving no merit for the akhirat, today we have no capacity to produce our own weapons for our defence. We have to buy our weapons from our detractors and enemies.
While he mentions they need these for the defence of the Muslim Ummah, keep in mind what that really means in terms of who is Islams enemies and and what they consider oppression.

“The Quran tells us that when the enemy sues for peace we must react positively. True the treaty offered is not favourable to us. But we can negotiate.”

What the media is not telling you is the words that followed:

“The Prophet did, at Hudaibiyah. And in the end he triumphed.”

The Treaty of Al-Hudaybiyya was an agreement made by the Prophet Muhammad with the Meccan tribe of Quraish—which the prophet broke as soon as his armies were strong enough to attack and conquer the Quraish.

Read the whole thing; there is absolutely nothing moderate about this speech. In many ways, it is tantamount to a declaration of war.

My suggestion on the topic, for what it’s worth.

1. The quote was too long and unfocused.

2. It covered too wide an area, but I repeat myself.

3. The debating point, such as it is, is too vague and woolly. A declaration of war? Perhaps, but that is not something that leaps out at the reader who is patient enough to slog through it all.