[QUOTE=Procyon]
<snip>
Is it true that if you “think a war is necessary” then you have an obligation to fight in it? <snip>
Yet the state of being “pro-war” is not a binary; it is a spectrum. To what degree must one support a war before ethical obligations arise? What if I support certain aspects of a war very strongly yet revile others with equal strength?
I realize that your original pitting was probably not aimed at people in the kind of gray zone I’m describing, but your argument would carry more force (with me, at least) if it were better defined.
[/QUOTE]
Procyon, if I may comment.
You have used the words “fight” and “spectrum”, which I’d like to expand upon. In my view, fighting a war is indeed a spectrum. Not everyone can shoot straight, not everyone can drive a tank, not everyone can fly. Furthermore, the war effort depends upon a viable economy, so you need the bankers, the financiers, the farmers, in other words, the “civilian types”.
However, from a soldier’s perspective, this does not give the civilian types a free pass. I am not a pacifist. Sometimes war is necessary. But when war is declared, all those in favour should participate. Not necessarily fight, but fully participate, to whatever varying degrees.
Bear with me here. If you want a war, I am willing to fight your war, which becomes our war. On one condition. You participate. And you participate actively. If you are greasing the wheels of the economy as a civilian, you, just like me, first report to base and sign on as a participant. You the civvie, me the shooter. You and I both get up at 4am every fucking day, get fucked up by the PTI every fucking day, and you piss blood and puke, every fucking day. At 7am, every fucking day, I head for the parade ground and shooting range, you exit base and head for your office. At 5pm, every fucking day, you return, not to your family and comfy TV chair, but to the messhall and inspection thereafter. You clean your calculator, I clean my rifle. You and I both go to bed, tired, haggard, and fucked up, every fucking day.
You don’t have to kill anyone, but you also don’t get the luxuries of civilian life.
Soldiers resent civilians, even well meaning civilians, not because they don’t support the war, but because they do not share in the suffering and hardships brought on by war. A soldier might end up never firing his rifle in anger, but he still endures immense psychological and physical suffering during training. And no amount of vocal support is going to lessen his resentment of those who do not actually share his suffering.
When soldiers look over the walls at the civilians driving to the mall, they think, “fucking civvie freeloaders.” They begin to hate the very people who are supposed to be on their side. When they come home dragging colostomy bags, and see Johnny Stay Home get the girl, they get slightly pissed.