[QUOTE=Martin Hyde]
Ah, so you’re just a blithering idiot, then?
What war would be so great that it would eliminate the need for police men, construction workers, etc? You realize that during World War II we sent about 12,000,000 men to fight, and that left a great many men home. There were even large numbers of men of fighting age who were left at home. Yes, women took up jobs that up until that point were tradtionally the jobs of men. But a simple look at the statistics will show you there were still millions of men on the home front (even men of fighting age) who were continuing with their civilians lives.
Without police officers we would have no way to enforce any laws in our country. Even as its cities were being shelled and bombed on a daily basis the United Kingdom still kept police officers in employ. Just because a society is involved in a great struggle does not mean you ignore all other societal tasks that must be done.
Furthermore, under your logic you are saying you did not support the 1991 Gulf War? That, in your ideal world, since not 100% of the country’s fighting age males would be needed to throw Saddam out of Kuwait, it was an unjustified war, and therefor the ideal outcome for you is we allow Kuwait to be invaded and occupied and just accept it as a fait accompli. Since liberating Kuwait was not a war so great that it required 100% of all fighting age males, it was not a justified war, and Kuwait should have been left to its own devices?
For that matter, World War II also did not require 100% of fighting age males. Should we have left the countries of Europe to suffer under the Nazi jackboot? The countries of Asia to the advances of the Japanese?
[/QUOTE]
I know this is the pit…but why the incivility? Blithering idiot? Because I espouse a view contrary to yours? To each his own I guess.
And, if you will read my posts again, carefully this time, you still misunderstand my point. And that may very well be my fault.
My point is that to believe a cause is of sufficient merit to warrant the deaths of others, but is not sufficient to cause you to risk your own personal security, then I question how serious you really think the original threat is.
George: “We gotta get these evildoers because if we don’t they will kill us because they hate our freedoms! If we don’t fight them in Baghdad, then we will have to fight them in New York!”
Donald: "No doubt about it. And there has been too much patriot’s blood spilled already to leave the job unfinished. Even if we have to sacrafice 1,000 more soldiers and kill 10,000 more of the enemy, the cause of freedom and security demands it.
George: “Some units are returning for the 4th time! That is service! I really honor their sacrafice. When I go to the Nascar race, I will prolly cry when the jets fly over perfectly timed with the end of the “Star Spangled Banner” just thinking of those poor dead soldiers who died for our freedom. But the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots from time to time.”
Donald: “I know what you mean. I am thinking of replacing the flag magnet on my car. It is kinda faded. Do you know where I can get one with a yellow ribbon on it? Maybe one that says ‘remember our troops’?”
Grampa Johnny: “I know how you boys feel. Back in World War 2, I was plum pissed when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. I was watching a movie at the Barksdale Theater when I heard. I went straight to the recruiting station and enlisted. Boy was my mama mad! But like you said, when duty calls, you have to answer. Say, you boys thought about enlisting? Sounds like you take this war pretty seriously.”
George: “Me? Uh, no, not really. I have a wife and kids. Too much to lose. And I would probably have to give up my job. No, I would like to, I just can’t.”
Grampa Johnny: “Pussy.”
Hey Martin Hyde , just out of curiosity, how old are you? Do you support the war?
But on another not, I hope you manage not to be so bellicose in real life. I can imagine people wouldn’t want to be around you much. But if you need to blow off a little stream in here, ya know, calling people names and stuff, no harm.