Project Runway 9/9

The problem with Mondo’s design was pretty simple–it looked like something you could buy at Target. Actually, Nina said it looked like you could buy it at Kmart, which is even more damning in the PR world. The whole point of fashion as they define it is that these clothes mark the wearer as being special in some way–adventurous, interesting, creative, cool, or at the very least rich. Something that 100,000 other people all paid 19.99 for does not bespeak any of those traits; it’s just clothes, as opposed to fashion.

(Yes, I think it’s something of a silly distinction to make, but that’s framework the whole show is based around. Mondo knows, or at least should know, that this is the lens through which all their work is viewed.)

And yes, I agree that April’s outfit looks more like lingerie than anything you’d wear out in the world. I mean, it’s sheer babydoll, ffs. A black one. And they referred to what was under it as a “panty.” Andy was robbed.

I usually watch PR on Saturday nights, because I’m watching Real Housewives of DC on Thursdays at 9, so I’m late to the party.

When I saw that black negligee babydoll thing I thought, “Well, she’s getting kicked off for that.” Guess I don’t know doodoo about fashion! I also thought Andy should have won with the bathing suit/coverup dealie.