PS3 COD4 Double XP Weekend

This thread is a quick shout-out to any and all Dopers who play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on the PSN. Starting today, Friday 9/19 and running through Sunday 9/21 is another double experience points weekend. This is a good time to level up, or maybe a good time to go prestige. I’ll be online as much as I can this weekend, if you see me (MaddMaxx51) say hi, or send me an invite and we can gank some noobs together.

Also, if you haven’t already done so, you can purchase the Variety Map Pack at the Playstation Store for $4.99 right now instead of the normal $9.99.

For the record, it’s game-wide. It’s also Double XP Weekend for the 360 as well.

Does that also include the PC version?

Wow, someone plays that?

I kid, I kid. I assume it does include you PC folk.

Hey! FPS are best on the PC, and always will be. :slight_smile:

Seriously though how can you guys play FPS’ on consoles? I tried COD4 at a friend’s house on his xbox 360. I found it impossible to accurately control my targeting. Even he wasn’t very good after playing the game for months, or at least I thought he wasn’t very good. Everyone else said he was doing just fine, but it looked horrendously inaccurate and jerky from my point of view.

I then tried the tutorial level and discovered that you automatically target when zooming in. Wow, cheese fest. So it’s either impossible to aim or ridiculously easy to do depending on your point of view.

Can you actually get good with a controller, and even if you could, can you ever be as good as someone with a mouse?

The autotargeting only works in single player. No autotargeting online. And yeah, I’m as good with a controller as you would be with a mouse. I have been using basically the same controller since the PS1. It is basically an extension of my hands at this point. I don’t even have to think about what button to hit. My eyes see, my hands do. All I do is think about the strategy.

But do you have a reference point? Have you played FPS with a mouse, do you know people who do, have you watched the same FPS being played by both a controller and a mouse?

It seems to me that a device that is essentially a 1 to 1 map of the screen would be faster/more accurate than one that is not. I mean, I’m sure your good at a game that is built with consoles in mind and against other people on a console. But how would you fare against someone with a mouse?

I should add that I do prefer the controller for stuff like fighting games, driving games, and some third person adventure games (though some of those play best with mouse and keyboard too).

We’re going to play some COD4 tonight at a friend’s on an XBOX 360 so maybe I’ll change my mind after tonight.

I have played FPS’s with a mouse, and I don’t care for it personally. That is one reason that I play most of my games on a console instead of a PC. (RTS excepted)I’m pretty decent on a PC when I have played, because I typically use one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse in my job as a drafter, which is very similar to the way I’ve seen most gamers play. I’m sure with practice I could be as good on a PC as a console.

From what I can see online at the moment, the XBox 360 Double XP Weekend was last weekend:
http://www.fourzerotwo.com/2008/09/10/double-xp-this-weekend-plus-50-variety-map-pack/

Care to place a friendly wager on that? :smiley: We could gamble on the outcome is important gaming event X!

Sir, I could crush you with my controller. You’re just not used to the controller, little one.

Is that boast based on playing against other people with controllers, or have you crossed sights with an opponent with a mouse? :wink:

I wish there was some way we could test this out, it would be fun, SDMB console FPS fans vs PC FPS fans! Sweetness.

It was tested with Shadowrun. They needed to give consoles players autoaim and nerf the turn-speed and accuracy of PC players to make it even close to fair.

If you think a controller is better than a mouse for shooters, you’re doing it wrong. That’s just the way it is.

That would be big fun, actually. Unfortunately, we can’t settle anything and I resume crushing you guys on the console.

Well, I played earlier, and it didn’t seem like I was getting double XP. What’s the deal?

Okay, so I went back on, and I was getting double XP for the points in the game, but not for the match bonus or for completing any challenges. I was kind of looking forward to getting 2,000 for compleing each weapon category again, because I had just gone back into prestige mode again last week.

Oh well, I’ll take it.

Well, I didn’t see or hear from anyone claiming to be a Doper all weekend. :frowning: I even changed my clan to SDMB for the weekend to make it easier to spot me. I did, however, level up 7-8 times. I was in a zone Saturday morning, I had a 20 kill/ 2 death round, followed by a 13 kill/ 3 death round.

That’s what happens when you have a PlayStation.

Yeah, I guess so. I’m going to go watch a blu-ray movie to make me feel better.