Purpole or Pink? I'm getting old

We went out tonight with a group from work, and talking about various music groups of old. Someone asked a younger guy (mid 30s!) and he wasn’t too sure of the difference between Deep Purple and Pink Floyd.

Sigh. I’m going home to turn up the volume on my 2112 album, if anyone has heard of that.

I always listen to classic rock in my air car.
ETA: anyone remember/can find that list some college (nice n’ vague, no?) puts together about things their incoming class of freshmen have grown up with? Something like “none of them has ever owned a record player” or “there has always been a gulf war” … masochistic list, but fun nonetheless.

That’s the Beloit College Mindset List. It wasn’t very good this year, IMHO.

If it makes you feel better, my nieces and nephews (ranging in age from 13-22) all love classic rock. I went on a driving trip with one a few years ago and he brought his favorite CD at the time to listen to in the car. It was “Brain Salad Surgery”.
The youngest niece just had her Bat Mitzvah last week with a rock n’ roll theme. After it was over the table decorations were handed out - and the most popular with the kids who attended were the decorations from the “Beatles” table.

If it makes you feel any better, my 12 year old daughter knows the difference between Pink Floyd and NOT Pink Floyd. We listen to a broad enough range of stuff in our house that she can’t pinpoint song titles, but she’s shaping up to be almost as big of a fan as I am.

All hope is not lost, and I hope that, should she ever find herself in Tokyo, you might allow her to be on your lawn. :wink:

My god, you’re right. That was terrible. And a good portion of them aren’t even true. Now I’m off to see what they said about my class.

Yeah, Pink Floyd is the one with the synthesizers.
Whenever my son (age 19) is in the car with me I quiz him on the songs that play on the Classic rock station I listen to. When I first started he learned to guess Led Zepplin first, but now he can identify Plants’ voice, Pages’ guitar and Bonhams’ drums. Over the last couple years he’s learned to identify the Rolling Stones, Van Halen and Aerosmith too. I think he knows who Pink Floyd is but they don’t play much Deep Purple.

I couldn’t find my class, but the one for those a year behind me (but my age - I skipped a grade) is totally wrong. I most certainly do remember the Cold War, and the Challenger blowing up, and pop tops, and actually pretty much everything on that list. It was really fundamentally incorrect.

Yeah, I just checked the one for the Class of 2003, and a lot of the stuff was completely wrong or seriously misplaced (JFK holds no special signifigance to the people born in 1981!). Points for trying, but the amateur lists I’ve seen floating around for stuff like that are always better.

And they forget the biggest one for this year’s class: The Simpsons has always been on the air. That always blows my mind.

Sorry for the continued hijack.

Back in the '80s I was at a B&B in London, hanging out with a friend, listening to Dark Side Of The Moon. The B&B owner’s 12-year-old daughter came in and asked, ‘Do you want to listen to a good record?’ whereupon she played Come On Eileen by Dexy’s Midnight Runners.

OK, I liked then, and like now, New Wave and '80s pop. But that particular song is just annoying.