Pushing Daisies 10/8

I missed the edit window on my previous post, but I wanted to add that Vivian actually is Chuck’s aunt if Lily is telling the truth about being Chuck’s mother. But Chuck may only know that neither Lily or Vivian are related to Chuck’s father and so she may not believe them to be “true” aunts.

I also got a bang out of the moment when they walked into the morgue and it was full of dripping clowns. I really expected much more creepiness out of this episode…instead, it was the first time I ever thought clowns were funny.

When Ned paused to let the cannonball roll by…for some reason, that just gave me the giggles.

Now we know that Emerson’s wife took their daughter and left, seven years ago.

There does seem to be a bit of sadness in this show. Imagine loving someone but knowing you can never touch them. Do we really expect Chuck and Ned to build a long term relationship, or was his butterfly line a hint that maybe she needs to go build her own life, without him?

Sniff.

I enjoyed this episode very much, but like Wile E, I hope they bring Olive back to the Pie Hole soon- although they’re getting some good material out of the nunnery scenario. “You have a bottle in your Bible?!?” (crosses herself).

Some of the best bits have already been mentioned- the clown car gag (and the clown on stilts), the dripping clowns in the morgue, the “cannonball was meant for us” bit, and the clown dressed as the Wicked Witch of the East- not the first “Wizard Of Oz” reference on the show! Last year when they went in the sewers to look for Oscar Vibenius (Paul Reubens), they had to “follow the yellow thick hose”!

It’s probably because I don’t like Chuck much, but I think it is far sadder that he can never touch his dog.

They haven’t shown the candy-striped morgue exterior yet this year. That was one of our favourite running gags on the show. :slight_smile:

Just to verify as I realize some viewers might not know this. The tie-in to the Wizard of Oz is Kristin Chenoweth played Glinda in the play “Wicked” in the Original Broadway Cast. That probably isn’t listed on the IMDB or Wiki.

I see I am wrong, it is on her Wiki page. The IBDBof course has it.

I noticed when I was watching it last night it bugs me how close Chuck and Ned are all the time. Digby intelligently stays a safe distance from Ned, but Chuck & Ned seem to blunder around each other all the time and I find it distracting. I’m constantly wincing at how easy it would be for those two to touch.

Emerson Cod makes my heart grow three sizes bigger every episode. “I don’t like this road. It’s got a 'kick out the window and run ‘cuz they about to cap yo ass’ kind of feel to it.” Ah, love him. Loved that little touch of him diving into his Girl Detective pop-up book during the awkward mother-daughter reunion.

Ned, on the other hand, made me want to kick him for being so appallingly smothering. Was that supposed to be cute? Ugh. Chuck I can normally take or leave, but I was squarely in her corner as she tried to start building her own life. I also was moved by the scene between her and Vivian. sniff

The narrator, as usual, was delightful: “Pigby enjoyed the warbling sounds that the nice smelling thing that fed him made.” Hee. That’s like Digby loving Olive just for her salty tears.

ETA:

I was just watching season 1 again on DVD, and when little Ned and Digby reunite at the Longborough School and they both realize they can’t touch each other, I, uh, nearly cried. It’s true! And unexpected! I also got choked up when Emerson talked about his daughter in last week’s episode. This show is sneaky like that.

Loved most of the episode, especially the oft-mentioned-already gag with the clown car. In fact, I love that particular bit so much that even the memory of it has me giggling quietly to myself.

The only thing I didn’t love, come to think of it, is Chuck’s wardrobe selection. I love the retro 1950’s full skirted dresses, but I most certainly do not love the retro 1950’s high-waisted skinny pants… ew ew ew. It’s even more disappointing because normally the costume design (and overall set design) has me twitching with uncontrollable fits of Want.

I give Olive another episode before she hies herself out of the nunnery.

And his stress knitting. :smiley:

Which is why I’m so glad that Chuck moved out. Those doors are still too close in the morning, though.

I hope Chuck moves out of the building and gets another job altogether to keep up the “life on her own” theme. That would add some extra ideas/tension/storylines to the show so it’s not all Pie Hole all the time. It’s good to get out some.

I hope Olive brings Pigby next week.

Pigby rocks.

I’m not kidding. I want one. I’m sick of cats and dogs.

Teeny Tiny spoilers for Episode 8 for those who’re fans of Bryan fuller

Bryan Fuller has said that Episode 8 will have a Wonderfalls crossover AND it’ll be a musically inclined episode Interview with Bryan Fuller

Yep. One of my LJ friends is an actor and he was an extra for Ep. 8. supervenusfreak just about had a geekgasm about it when he heard the details.