Queen's Gambit on Netflix

Just finished this today.

Agreed that she had lots of help with a major theme being her having to learn to get past mother’s directive to refuse all help. Even that girl in the bathroom trying to help her with her first period. WHY so many wanted to help her is unclear to me. Maybe because she was a pretty white girl? She was not a good friend. She never sent the janitor his ten bucks back even or even sent a thank you. Never visited him?

I hope she at least remembers to pay back Jolene. Doubt she’d be there for her if she ever needed her.

I agree that she’s kind of a cold-hearted person, but I do think that Beth listened when Jolene admitted that she was not helping Beth purely out of the goodness of heart–but rather to maintain a source of support she could use if she ever needed it. I think that little speech was a subtle jab at Beth’s strategy to relationships up to that point in the film. Jolene was basically telling Beth that we’re all out here using people in subtle and not so subtle ways (just like chess), but giving back is how we feel connected to others. The last scene in the park shows us that Beth has learned this lesson.

Everyone who helped Beth benefited by helping her. The janitor got a playmate and a sense of legacy he wouldn’t have otherwise had. The adoptive mother got a loving companion and a source of income. The chess guys got to enjoy her feminine charms and live vicariously through her, while learning from her. And rooting for Beth gave Jolene a sense of family.

The reason the girl helped her in the bathroom is easy to grok. Women/girls have code of ethics for periods. We offer a sister in need a pad or a tampon because we know how it feels to be in the horrible situation of not having supplies, and we also want someone to have the same compassion for us when it is our time again in the future. Honoring the code perpetuates the code. Kindness begets kindness. The kindness of the janitor lead to kindness for the old guys in a park thousands of miles away.

FWIW my point with the girl in the bathroom is not why that girl offered to help Beth (yeah even guys get that), but that Beth really refused to accept the help, being unwilling to ask for an explanation of how to use the supplies given using padded toilet paper instead. To me that was the point of that scene, not the trope of first period at the worst possible time and unprepared for how to handle it, but the refusal of help offered.

I’m also not so sure she is so “cold-hearted” per se … it is just that the social contract of giving back in return concept that you reference, that most humans understand, was deficient in her. She had a complicated relationship with help from others, to others, with others in general. Her growth, to my read of it, was going from the appeal of chess as a defined world within her own control in which she needed no others, to including others.

Thoughts:

Liked

1. I’ve always liked ‘explorations of genius’ movies and books. From the same screenwriter who brought us Little Man Tate (as well as Minority Report and Get Shorty), this is one Scott Frank felt he ‘got right’. Beth is very well written and acted.

2. The lighting and color pallette(s) are fantastic. There was this one shot of Beth leaving the high school where the color of the room changed, but you were able to get a preview of the rooms color scheme by a brief flash of that color as she enters each section. Wonderfully done.

3. How much do you think this cost? My daughter flatly said ‘this wasn’t a TV show budget’ and I agree - this was not made for a mere $2 million an episode. $25 million for the entire series? $40? Game of Thrones was about $15 mil per episode, for comparisons sake, and while this one wasn’t as extravagant, it also wasn’t done on a Law & Order budget.

4. Her adoptive mother. Easily my favorite character in the series. I was genuinely sad to see her go.

5. The flaws. Everyone’s flaws seemed natural to the character, not a narrative choice to drive plots and situations (except for the drug addiction, more on that later). As mentioned above, I, too, had to adjust my ‘horribleness quotient’ way down.

6. The untold narratives of some of the minor characters was fascinating to me, with her adoptive Dad being the most intriguing. We were never really told what happened to him, but it seemed obvious to me - he had his own demons which made domesticity an untenable long-term choice, especially with a wife with demons of her own.

Dislikes

1. The tranquilizers. Or, really, how they were resolved. I firmly believe that Beth would have figured out how to play mental chess at a high level w/o them while still at the orphanage, but given how the story develops, c’est la vie. That’s not my issue here. I hated, hated, hated the … magical … drop of her dependency during the biggest match of her life. Seeing those chess pieces on the ceiling above Borgov’s(?) head was cheesy. It was Movie Of The Week. It was After-school Special. It was A Very Special Episode.

It sucked.

I think the story would’ve worked better had Beth been ‘merely’ an alcoholic, turned onto it by her adoptive mother in a moment of celebration, and dropping the tranq storyline totally. That would have been far more tragic. Instead, we got a Very Special Moment. Ugh.

1. Finances. Beth had an amazing clothes and travel budget for someone playing competitive chess for money. And the financial narrative about the Christian group didn’t make sense: she took the sponsorship because she needed the $ short-term, but was able to write a check for their entire investment when she quit? How?

2. Benny was a little too out of his time. Nothing about him said ‘1960’s’.

Agreed. My wife is from Lexington and she commented on the lack of accent in the Kentucky scenes.

She and some of her friends were trying to figure out where it was filmed–not Kentucky as it tuns out. Apparently much of it was filmed in Toronto. The orphanage is in Berlin.

Chess apparently pays decently at the very tip-top (and mostly only at the very tip-top). If you can win consistently at high level tournaments something Beth did throughout the series, it seems you can make a reasonable living. A recent top ten chess income list from 2018 ranged from ~200k to ~700k/year. Only a handful of chess players will become millionaires (usually from gigantic world championship purses that seem to dwarf other tournaments), but it seems the best of the best can get there.

Beth was temporarily short of cash because she had just bought that house from her adoptive father for $7k in 1968 dollars and had been putting money into it to fix it up. The Christian Crusaders had paid for a previous trip to SF and advanced money for Moscow. After returning the advance/paying them back she had ~$2k left in her back account and was about $1k short for a trip that would cost at least $3k. The CC people were like commercial sponsors for athletes today - an additional source of funding beyond tournament prizes via paying for pricey air fares and hotel accommodations. Basically Beth turned up her nose at sponsorship on the spur of the moment and found herself stuck with a temporary cash flow problem at the worst possible time because of it.

I sympathized a lot with Beth in that scene. Tampon logic is not intuitive and it does require someone to navigate you through your most intimate body parts. Beth might have been open to that kind of coaching from Jolene or her mother, but a complete stranger? I would have done exactly what Beth did: put on an act of competency by accepting the tampon but ditching it in favor of a something more intuitive. I agree with you that her refusal fits in with the theme of “going it alone” and hiding her weaknesses. But out of all her acts of lonewolfdome, it’s the one that is the least weird, IMHO.

I didn’t really have a problem with the orphanage handing out benzos. In the 1950s, that sort of institutional management (abuse) wasn’t uncommon, women and girls were often seen as hysterical and medicated - even institutionalized - out of their emotions - and valium was to the 1950s what opiates were to the early 2000s. Its the era of lobotomies. Its the era from which The Feminine Mystique sprung.

It wasn’t the handing out which I had a problem with, it was the resolution during the final board match which was the issue, especially her seeing the chess pieces on the ceiling which, again, felt cheesy. If one can’t resolve it better than that, after getting everything else so right, then get rid of the storyline.

Yeah, this stuck out to me as well. In fact, I felt that the whole show struggled with balancing two conflicting goals: first, a realistic portrait of the era; and second, avoiding being Just Another Show About Straight White People.

In a longer, more complex series, the balance would be easier to achieve, because you’d have the space to develop subplots about gay characters struggling with the need to stay in the closet, Black people living rich interior lives while forced to work in dead-end jobs that were intellectually frustrating, and so on.

But that kind of expanded scope was unrealistic in seven episodes. So instead we wound up with Jolene, the pharmacy guy, Townes, and maybe one or two other characters I’m missing (the trans teacher perhaps?). The fact Jolene had no hope of being adopted was the only real nod to the barriers these individuals would have faced. Otherwise, they seemed to sail smoothly, if peripherally, through the plot waves of the show.

I don’t know how it would have been possible to do any better in the framework of a seven-episode series. Still, the presence of those characters felt contrived, albeit in a well-meaning fashion.

Someone wrote what looks to me like a somewhat believable fanwank about this. Apparently visualization of chess boards like that and staring at ceilings during matches (not necessarily at the same time) are things with at least a few top players. However using tranquilizers is not - some become boozers from the stress, but usually their game suffers as a consequence as with Beth and her earlier game with Borgov. I find that fanwank above acceptable from a fictional POV - for me it doesn’t really compromise my enjoyment of the show. Her ability to shrug off withdrawal symptoms is a lot more problematic as is CairoCarol’s complaint above about contrived characters/situations. As Eonwe said it is all a bit precious.

But I agree the downers do stretch to fantasy just like there being rather less misogyny towards Beth than you might expect for those times. Dulling the mind is the exact opposite of what chess prodigies generally strive for.

I thought it was really good. I did have one comment though.

I know it’s supposed to set an example for girls everywhere, but it kind of portrayed like every woman in the 50s and 60s was either emotionally disturbed, suffered from substance abuse, or both. And Jolene had to practically tell Beth she wasn’t Beth’s “Magical Negro”

I also agree with @Icarus that it was nice having money come into play. Like the mom calculating if traveling for a tournament would turn a profit. It wasn’t like she one her first match and never had to worry about money ever again. Although I did have to go look up exchange rates to figure out if it was “a lot of money” in 1950s - 1968.

Tough enough to accompany Bran Stark north of The Wall!

Benny was “chess tough”.

Not just disturbed and addicted, but stupid and mean. Like those vapid girls that Beth hung out with that time. And even the female reporter who interviewed Beth was kind of stupid and mean. There weren’t any strong women in that movie except for Jolene, which left me with the impression that white womanhood of the 1960s was uniquely crappy. Maybe it really was that bad, but I am skeptical.

I think the film intentionally went heavy on the “the 60s were a horrible time for women” thing so that we could appreciate what chess was saving Beth from, but it certainly put out a “women kind of suck, so isn’t it grand Beth gets to be around men all the time?” vibe to me. For this reason, I was kind of relieved that Beth was portrayed as feminine and never espoused a “I’m not like other girls” attitude.

For those of you who were around in the '60s…was French pop as popular then as Mad Men and The Queen’s Gambit would lead us to believe?

It seems to be a reoccurring theme in movies and shows set during that 50s to 60s time period:

• Woman drinking = sad, lonely, alcoholic

• Man drinking = literally every scene. Although the men in Queen’s Gambit didn’t seem to drink much.

I guess it depends on your definition of “crappy.” My sense, from having lived through an extremely white middle-class childhood in the 1960s (I turned 12 in 1970), is that the worst problem for financially secure married white women is how restricted their lives and options were. Some random recollections:

My teachers were all young white single women. It was understood that upon getting married (which simply had to be their goal, that was a given) they would quit, if not immediately then within a couple of years, to raise children.

Mothers absolutely did not have jobs outside the home except if the father’s income was not enough. A mother working meant the family was poor, and it was shameful. I remember finding out that the mother of one of my classmates worked, and feeling terribly sorry for him.

One specific memory that has always stuck with me is my mother cross-examining my father at the dinner table about his day, asking him for every scrap of detail about his activities. One night, my father erupted in annoyance, saying, “for heaven sakes, Kay! Who cares whether my hamburger had pickles on it! I’m tired, I don’t feel like answering all your questions.”

My mother responded, practically sobbing, “You don’t know what it’s like! I sit home all day and it is boring. Nothing happens. The only variety in my life is finding out what you did while you were out working!”

Scenes like that helped form my views as a feminist. And probably contribute to my undying hatred of the Rolling Stones. I have never forgiven them for the song, “Mother’s Little Helper,” which placed all the blame for Valium abuse on women themselves, when in fact they were being given drugs by male doctors to calm them down when they understandably felt dissatisfied and anxious with their lives.

All seen through a very middle-class WASP cultural lens, of course. I wouldn’t presume to speak for what it was like to be a woman from a different background then.

Thanks for that post. It was very insightful.

I thought it was poignant when Beth’s adoptive mom recoiled in horror when Beth suggested she could get a job and told her that only poor people and black people did that kind of thing.

I never knew my mother as she died in '68 but the progression of her face from happy bride to distraught, bored mother is there to see. My siblings weren’t happy when I pointed this out, of course.

Loved this production, and we’ll see it winning in the Emmys. I like that they skipped a lot of tropes, like having an evil headmaster at the orphanage or a pedophile in the basement, etc.

So apparently Queen’s Gambit is the #1 item on the Nielsen’s Streaming Ratings
Also Netflix said it is the most viewed Limited series they’ve ever had.

I’m impressed.