Question about Coke and Phosphoric Acid.

For years I’ve read about all the things that Coke will do, like cut grease in the wash, disolve nails, remove stains from toilet bowls, ect. It’s all linked to the phosphoric acid in the Coke. My question is, what is this stuff doing to my stomach? I drink 10 to 12 cans of Caffeine Free Diet Coke a day, have for years. Am I gong to die a horrible painful death by disolved stomach by the time I hit 60 or so? Any medicaly knowledgeable people here who know the answer to this?

Nothing much. Your stomach is designed to tolerate its own hydrochloric acid already. It’s your teeth you should be worried about.

Snopes:

What teeth? Well that explaines why my teeth are gone.

It’s your brain that I’d be worried about. :wink:

I’m not going to worry about the brain untill I start taking my Diet Coke by IV!

a gastroenterologist who visited one day in biology class said that coke is about the acidic equivalent of orange juice.

I see you received the same email spam I did, eh?

Yes, I did. I’ve wondered about this for a long time now, the e-mail just pushed me enough to post the question.

Welcome to the Boards. Enjoy your stay :slight_smile:

I tried the ol’ nail and Coke experiment.

There was a huge Har-vard study showing that drinking coke is bad for young girl bones… because young girls who drink coke are not drinking milk.

Searched for a copy, or an abstract ,or even an accurate news story covering this story without being able to find it anywhere free on the internet. Sorry.

The acids in the carbonation of all sodas, even diet, will increase your dental disease by 300% if you drink more than two a day.

Araby, Dental Hygienist

Araby76, Could you please define “dental disease” for me? Is it like teeth desolving or cancer of the gums or something else?

That is just my scary way of saying to patients, “You are going to get a lot of cavities if you continue to drink more than two sodas per day.” The gums are a different story.

Whats the story with diet coke and gums? I don’t have a problem with cavitys, mainly because my teeth are all breaking off at the gum line.

There isn’t a connection between sodas and gums. None that I have ever known, the connection would be with sodas and teeth. Problems with gums are a completely different situation. If you haven’t seen a dentist about your teeth breaking, I suggest doing so as soon as possible. Dentures are only 30% functional as your teeth. /puts her percentages back in their filing cabinet for the night.

I thought it was the sugar that did this, not the carbonation.

Sugar is bad for your teeth if you never brush them. But it isn’t the carbonation persay…it’s the acids that break down the enamel.

Well wait, Araby76, what about orange juice? lemon drinks?

Is this 300% increase based on two 12-oz sodas?

And I can’t imagine that carbonation would be bad for teeth, although I imagine it’s possible that chemicals used to make something bubble could cause trouble. Are you suggesting there are acids in the carbonation?

Now I’m lost. (But I love those Bostons! Thanks for the link.)