Question about muscle repair

Ok so I have a question which extensive Googling has failed me on with regards to protein quality and muscle repair.

Generally people always say things like ‘Yeah burgers are high in protein but its a bad source of protein’ (in this case referring to a Big Mac or something)

Or, yeah Doner Meat is full of protein but its really bad for you and chicken breast is much better.

Does this mean, that eating from a ‘bad’ although complete source of protein, the protein fails to act on damaged muscles for repair?

I just ate a bunch of store bought cheap ham post work out as I’m broke. Does this mean I actually need to eat an 8oz chicken breast on top of that, to achieve my grams of protein intake for repair?

I’m a little confused. Is ‘a good source of protein’ just a source that is low fat and healthy? And does that mean that I’m still getting the right protein from store bought less healthy ham, but I’ll just put on a bit of extra fat too?

Please help guys, thanks.

Protein is broken down by your body and really there is no bad or good protein. If you get complete protein from milk, or blood or eggs or combining rice and beans.

It it true that certain kinds of protein are more easily assimiiated into the body. But unless your a competitive bodybuilder looking to intake the smallest amount of calories for the greatest return of every gram of protein, it doesn’t matter.

Remember a gram of protein (and carbs) has 4 calories and a gram of fat has 9 calories. So if you’re watching every single calorie you want to make sure every gram of protein taken in is used fully by he body so you don’t have to take in additional calories. This is where the ease of assimilation by the body comes into play.

Bodybuilders want to have as little fat on them as possible so they are attune to making every single calorie count. Most of the rest of us will be satisfied to be within ten pounds of our goal weight.

Of course what the protein comes WITH is also a factor. A dry piece of lean chicken is probably better FOOD for you than that delicious 75% greasy hamburger. :slight_smile:

You’re fine with high-calorie protein sources, if all you are concerned about is adequate protein intake. A complete protein is a complete protein; some sources simply have more calories and additional macronutrients than others.

When might be more important than what. For distance athletes like myself (half marathons and century bike rides) it’s important to get something with protein and carbs in your system within an hour of the end of exercise to start recovery faster. If you are also dehydrated, liquid is good. Believe it or not, chocolate milk is pretty good stuff. I also like Slim Fast drinks as they have a lot of vitamins and minerals also. Even a milk shake is good for recovery.

A greasy hamburger may have a lot of protein; however, it has a lot of fat. If your goal is a better overall diet, lean chicken might be a better choice.

Protein is protein, but food is made up of much more than protein. Such as carbs, fats, sugar, sodium etc. A good source of protein for working out are eggs and peanut butter.

Also, the only people who say you need more than 1 gram of protein per lbs of weight are protein manufacturers, anywhere from .75 to 1 gram is plenty.

Unless a person is dieting for fat loss, in which case protein intake should increase as calories from carbohydrate and fat decrease. This is in order to spare muscle tissue from being broken down by the body and used as energy. 1.5 grams per pound of body weight is recommended.