Question about PB&J Sandwiches

Now that we know where they came from, here is my question: In A PB&J sandwich do you think of Jelly as a condiment for the peanut butter (i.e. it’s a Peanut butter sandwich with Jelly) or do they have equal billing in the sandwich? I suppose the jelly being the star is also an option but that seems crazy for some reason.

For me, equal billing. Too much PB and it sticks to the roof of my mouth, so they are equally important.

Equal billing, of course.

For me, about equal, but I err on the side of a little more peanut butter than jelly, as I don’t have much of a sweet tooth.

Depends on my mood, but I would say equal billing on average. Though I can’t really the last time I ate one.

I try not to think about it at all. Even though I still love and eat them, when I look closely at the combination of gooey jelly (for me always raspberry preserves) and semi-solid peanut butter together between the bread, it’s kinda of gross looking*!* I would never, ever put PB&J on a cracker where it was visible, where I had to see the two ‘mixed’ together…

I tend to use more PB than jelly, often spreading both pieces of bread with PB, then adding the jelly, but they’re still equals.

It’s peanut butter jelly time!

Double-seeded rye bread, toasted.

Just PEANUTS peanut butter(no nothing added, save for a pinch of salt)

Pineapple preserves.

About equal parts, maybe erring a bit on the PB side.

And oh yeah, a glass of milk.

Your welcome. :slight_smile:

They’re equal in my mind. Like Martin & Lewis, Abbott and Costello, or Laurel and Hardy.

You don’t even need jam to make a peanut butter sandwich. The jam is there so that parents can make something that kids will eat.

While we’re on the topic we might as well just decide what the difference is between jam and jelly!

I’m not a jam person, but I surely do love a peanut butter and bacon sammich. Yums.

There is a NSFW answer that I’m too embarrassed to share

They’re equal. After reading the thread this weekend, I wanted a PB&J sandwich, but found that I was out of peanut butter?!!?!!

I had a butter and jelly sandwich. I also like cream cheese and jelly.

Alternatively, I can have peanut butter and honey or peanut butter and banana.

So they each have their role, independently and together.

It must be jam, 'cause jelly don’t shake like that. :smiley:

Old timey stuff.

In the US, jelly is made from fruit that is cooked down and strained (so, basically, from the cooked juiced fruit). Jam is the fruit itself cooked down, but not strained. So it’s lumpy and tends to have recognizable lumps of fruit in it, unless it’s completely broken down in the cooking process. But it’s not like the homogenous, smooth gelled mass that jelly is. At least that’s how I’ve always seen it.

The peanut butter is clearly supreme. Because you make a lot of other peanut butter sandwiches. You might make a jelly sandwich, but that’s about it. Sure, I guess cream cheese (but only on hot stuff), but cream cheese is also something that you can add other things to instead of jelly.

Or, perhaps, to put it more simply: I’ve never wanted a PB&J, find out that we’re out of jelly, and then not go ahead and add something else. But, if there’s no peanut butter? Forget it.

This doesn’t answer your question, but it reminded me of this:

Warning: My Little Pony related.

Nice Username and Post combo!

I’d say that the Peanut Butter is more the dominant part of the PB&J, since I’ve never heard of Jelly paired with anything else, but with Peanut Butter:

Peanut Butter sandwich
PB&J
Peanut Butter and Fluffernutter
Peanut Butter and Bananas
Peanut Butter and Raisins
I’ve even made myself a Peanut Butter and Choc Chip Ice Cream sandwich

I pair jelly with butter to put on toast or muffins.