Question about UTC time (related to upcoming moon landing anniversary)

I’m having trouble figuring out how to convert UTC time to Eastern time zone. Anyone know how to do that? The online conversion sites I’ve found don’t seem to be doing it correctly (or I’m not doing it correctly).

Armstrong stepped on the moon at 2:56 UTC July 21, 1969, but that was still July 20 here in the Eastern US. I’m trying to figure out exactly what time that would have been, to mark the exact 40th anniversary moment.

Thanks for any input.

Check the tables on the web page. US EDT is four hours behind UTC. So 2:56 UTC July 21, 1969 converts to 10:56 pm EDT, 20 July 1969.

You can also commemorate the event by going here —> http://wechoosethemoon.org/ It’s a real-time, interactive recreation from the JFK Library. As I type this we are less than 24 hours from launch.

Thank you!

Remember that UTC does not go on daylight savings time. At the moment, it’s an hour behind GMT, but will match again this winter.

GMT doesn’t go on daylight saving time, either. The only difference between UTC and GMT is the odd leap-second here and there.

GMT != BST, in other words. :wink:

Right - as I type this it is 10.30am UK time (BST), which is 9.30am GMT, also 9.30am UTC, so that’s 5.30am EDT.