Questions about Danny Elfman of Oingo Boingo

Anyone else here a Danny Elfman/Oingo Boingo fan?

Got a few questions for anyone in the know. Might sound weird. Lol.

Is he actually a Scientologist or is it just the rest of his family?

Why did his wife Bridget Fonda suddenly disappear from the spotlight, her career, and pretty much everywhere pretty much immediately after they married?

Has anyone here ever met or worked with him?
Or know anyone that has?

And what exactly was the extent of his association with Harvey Weinstein? Only the fact some of the movies he scored were made at the Weinstein studios or? Were they friends at all?

I am looking forward to see the responses as I was a huuuuuge Boingo / Elfman fan. Except for noting his many credits for scoring movies and tv shows I really haven’t followed him over the years. I did not know he was married to Bridget Fonda, for instance. And I would be very surprised (and somewhat saddened) if he is, indeed, a Scientologist. His Wiki entry entry says he’s a cynicologist(?)

Since you asked, I’m going to stealth brag that I have met him several times( I worked with Boingo member Johnny Hernandez’s wife and got lots of tickets to events) but I in no way know / knew him. They as a group and he as the lead are by far the best live performers I have ever seen.

I don’t know if she’s ever spoken publicly about it, but I suspect she decided to retire and be a stay-at-home wife and mom. Elfman makes millions of dollars a year from film scoring, so there’s no need for her to work if she doesn’t want to.

It isn’t unusual for actors to walk away from successful careers—there was a thread about that recently and Fonda was mentioned.

Dead Man’s Party just started playing on the iPod.

Weird Science played on my YouTube earlier.

Thanks, bananabug, I never knew Elfman was in Oingo Boingo until I read this thread. I always thought he was just a TV and film composer.

Dude. Way to make me feel old. :cry:

Nah. Coming up, my crowd liked denim and leather and hair, hair, hair. We had an open disdain for any group that might call itself Oingo Boingo.

It was only later in life that I came to appreciate them.

Ah. I was definitely more New Wave than Hair Band. Got some nice Psychobilly on now (The Cramps).

ETA: And now The Catholics Are Attacking. Always loved that one. What really makes me feel old is that the newest albums on my iPod (yes, iPod) are from… 1997? A Green Day album, I think.

Are you thinking about Scientologist Jenna Elfman? She is married to Danny’s nephew, but he converted as an adult according to wiki - I don’t think its a family thing.

Mark Maron Interviewed Danny Elfman on his WTF podcast recently. Very interesting guy.

His brother Richard produced and directed a film called Forbidden Zone in 1978. I have it on Blu-ray, and it’s a wacky film.

Wow, I was not aware that Richard Elfman was a Scientologist. Upon reflection, one can see how the creator of Forbidden Zone might be taken in by the consistent internal logic of the Xenu origin story.

One of my faves. I have at least a couple of copies on VHS, and one or two DVDs. (Seems like I kept buying better versions as they were available.)

‘The Queen said she was going to ream us with a 20-inch cattle prod, and I’m still waiting!’

Give 'er all the juice! Give 'er all the juice! Twenty-thousand volts in her caboose will make her see the errors of her ways! ♫ (Frenchy is going to tell. Frenchy is going to tell…)

‘Johnny just shot Billy!’
‘Well, the man was cheating so I just had to do away with him. And that’s all there was to it.’

Of course his early movie appearance in Back To School

Or a later appearance in The Gift. A great movie and his brief scene might be one of the creepiest parts

I just realized this clip is not the entire thing. You kind of need to see it in context.

Turns out its just the weinstein studio only that Tim Burton , who danny was scoring for, used and weinstein owned it but nobody was directly involved. Its supposedly used by almost everyone. Freaked me out at first.

Also, found out he is not a Scientologist. He is athiest. I was not sure of that was correct or not. Only his brother and nephew are Scientologists.