questions inspired from a visit to the rock and roll hall of fame

1. How tall is Jimmy Page?
  2. Why the hell are there so many hall of fames (or halls of fame) in Ohio? I understand the Rock Hall, because of Alan Freed, but why football and classical music?
  3. How come the Clash looks really sexy in some pictures taken of them, and freakishly ugly in others?
  4. When was Ray Manzarek (keyboardist for the Doors) born? I’ve seen both 1935 and 1939.

The only question I can answer is why the Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton, Ohio. That’s because that is where the meeting was held, in a car dealership, to organize the first professional football league, a league which evolved into the present day NFL. The football HOF calles itself “Pro Football”, but it is really the NFL hall of fame, as it makes no any mention of the USFL, or WFL or any league there. The College football HOF used to be near Kings Island, Ohio, but is now in South Bend, IN.

1. I can’t help you with that. Gosh, but he sweats a lot!

2. I found this at the Pro Football Hall of Fame website: The Pro Football Hall of Fame is located in Canton, Ohio, for three primary reasons; (1) the American Professional Football Association, the direct forerunner of the National Football League, was founded in Canton on September 17, 1920. (2) the Canton Bulldogs were an early-day pro football power, even before the days of the NFL. They were also a two-time champion of the NFL in 1922 and 1923. The great Jim Thorpe, the first big-name athlete to play pro football, played his first pro football with the Bulldogs, starting in 1915. (3) Canton citizens early in the 1960’s launched a determined and well-organized campaign to earn the site designation for their city. (We have a classical music hall of fame?)

3.Dunno

4.Ditto

1. Who can tell? He’s usually either hunched over his guitar, or hunched over his heroin rig.

2. No earthly idea. I don’t think it’s necessarily a great spot, I assume it’s sort of a “share the wealth” thing (“Why should the same 3-4 cities get ALL the cool museums?”). If you want to find a (lame) city who can claim some rights as a rock-and-roll birthplace, then I’d say Memphis or Detroit are better candidates. However, once they made the decision to have it in Cleveland, they ought to also have the induction ceremonies there. I mean, to me it just confirms the impression that it’s in “the wrong place” when they have the ceremonies elsewhere.

3. No idea

4. No idea

“Lame”? Cleveland is not lame. Nepotism, that’s what it is! (Oh, and Cleveland probably doesn’t have enough hotels or some such thing.)

1. I’d say it’s because they’re four otherwise skinny, funny -looking guys. Sure, they may not be the most photogenic guys in the world, but they’re SO FREAKIN’ COOL that with a good photographer, that will come through. With a bad photographer, they’ll just look like some skinny dudes with a lot of hair gel on.

I can shed some light on #2 as i live in Canton, OH. They put it there so that many many small shitty hotels can survive on people staying one week a year (hall of fame week) and the rest of the time they are empty besides some homeless people and cheaters. Also so that us poor ass locals can charge for people to park in our lawns on game night.
Although, i’ve never actually been to any of the hall of fames.

1.) I’m not sure, but I believe his shadow’s taller than his soul.

2.) Because it’s round on the ends and hi in the middle?

3.) All the pictures I’ve ever seen the Clash appear freakishly ugly. And what’s the deal with Joe Strummer’s Ears? Factoid: The Clash has had a member change or two and I even believe at one point there were two bands calling themselves the Clash composed of (ex)members.

4.) Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll (1983) only mentions Ray Manzerak as being born once, Feb. 12, 1935 in Chicago.

5.) Yes, Rock & Roll was officially dead the day Roger Daltrey cut all his hair off.