Questions you'd ask an Apollo moonwalker?

I can’t imagine why:wink: But seriously, thanks for letting us know how it went!

You got to talk with the Coolest Man on Earth? We are not worthy…

Regards,
Shodan

“Nothing beats an Astronaut!”

I’d have asked him “Which of your fellow astronauts was the biggest asshole?”

As for the training, Buzz also said some “extremists” at NASA incorrectly thought the lunar dust, having never been exposed to oxygen, might spontaneously combust when they repressurized the lunar module. He wasn’t concerned, but as a precaution they were directed to put most of the samples in a vacuum packed container outside of the LM. He and Neil vacuumed the dust from the inside of the LM and from their suits as much as possible. One dust and rock sample was brought inside the LM and placed on a open surface. (This is the sample that Neil grabbed as soon as he first stepped on the lunar surface. He had tucked it into a small pocket on his suit leg in case they had to commence with an emergency launch – they didn’t want to leave without at least a sample from the moon.) As they repressurized the LM, they watched the sample. If it began to smolder or worse, they were instructed to depressurized the cabin, open the hatch and pitch the sample outside. Of course, no such problems arose.

As part of my time with Buzz I had the chance to scuba dive with him; he is still a very active diver and clearly comfortable in the water. Something I thought was interesting is that after his dives he “walked” upside down on the bottom of the boat before getting out of the water. That was cool to see.

There were a lot of off the wall wrong guesses by scientists in the early days of the manned space program. Some medical doctors predicted that in a weightless environment, since there was no resistance from gravity, one’s pulse would just race until your heart exploded. Some psychologists thought that astronauts would experience suicidal depression from feelings of extreme separation from everything after they viewed the curvature of the Earth from orbit. And some geologists thought the lunar module would just sink and sink into the lunar dust until it was buried, as if it landed in quicksand.