Quick question to you Scottish people out there

Hya, this is a call for all you Scots out there.

I lived in Edinburgh for a while and when I was there I learned certain Gaelic expressions for which I would like to know the correct spelling (since you hardly ever write it the way it sounds). So help me out here.

1. Cheers/To your health - Sounds something like ‘Slange’ or ‘Slange Va’

2. (This will sound weird): Up the arse/Up yours - Sounds something like ‘Pok me hod’

I would be eternally in your debt if you could help me here. It has been annoying me for weeks.

And while we’re at it… maybe some other foreign people can tell me what these things are in German/Finnish/Japanese/whatever. Please include phonetics as well, or otherwise I could never show off towards my friends…

“poke me haaaaaard”

snicker.

[url=http://violet.umf.maine.edu/~donaghue/toasts.html]Here* I found that I had suspected, that Slainte is Gaelic for “To your health!” and that it’s pronounced as if you quickly slurred “It’s a lawn chair!”.
Can’t help ya with the other one though-or with ones in other languages.

Hmm…no. That’s not really what it sounds like :wink:

Previous reply was meant for EJsGirl, not for you Lsura. Thanks tho. Slainte is quite possible, but how to spell ‘Va’? ‘Mha’? ‘Bha’?

I also found a site that listed a band called [i}Slainte Mhath*. Could that be it?

And I’m having problems remembering to preview today. What in the world did I do to that link up there? Oh, I see(on previewing this post). I forgot to close it off. sigh

preview, preview, preview. Would someone like to beat me now?

Number two isn’t “up the arse”, it’s “kiss my arse”, I think. Pok ma honn. ‘Pok’=‘kiss’, ‘ma’=‘my’, ‘honn’=you get the picture.

There’s an old film where some guy shouts it as he leaps to attack over a wall. He was just told to expound in gaelic, so he did.

Arabic - kasak or sukhatak

Chinese - gan bei

Japanese - kanpai (borrowed from Chinese)

Korean - gonbae (borrowed from Chinese)

Czech - Na zdravi (cf. Russian, Polish)

Dutch - Proost

German - Prosit

French - A votre sante

Greek - stin iyia sas or see-EE-ah

Hebrew - l’chaim

Hungarian - Egeszsegedre

Italian - Alla tua salute or Cin cin

Polish - Na zdrowie (cf. Czech, Russian)

Portugese - A sua saude

Russian - Na zdarovyi (cf. Czech, Polish)

Danish, Norwegian, Swedish - Skol, Skal

Finnish - Kippis and skol

Spanish - salud

Swahili - Afya yako

Vietnamese - shuek ban niu shukwei

Serbo-Croation - Ziveli (m.), Zivile (f.)

Well, it’s been a while and I can’t guarantee I’ve got the spellings (or pronunciations) right, but I understood that there are three toasts here.

The simplest one is “Sláinte!” - “to your health” (sounds sort of like “slon-ja”).

The second is “Sláinte Mhath!” - “Good health” (sounds sort of like “slon-ja va-ha”).

To which the reply is “Sláinte Mhor!” - “Great health” (sounds sort of like “slon-ja va-hor”).

All of which is based on very foggy memory. Maybe ruadh will wander by and help us.

It’s “slàinte” - the accent goes the other way in Scots Gaelic (it’d be “sláinte” in Irish).

The other one is pòg mo thòin (Irish póg mo thóin) - kiss my arse. Phonetic pronunciation being “Pogue Mahone”, the original name of the band the Pogues.

[funny story]

While I was living in Japan teaching English, one of our students was a good friend with another English teacher there and always brought her little toddler, Yo-chan, to the lobby to hang out and play.

One day Yo-chan was sitting in his high chair with a sippy-cup of tea, and I was sitting at the table reading. Well, I hear Yo-chan giggling and look over at him. He takes his sippy cup, holds it up over his head, yells “KANPAI!!!,” takes a huge gulp, then puts it down and laughs hysterically at his own cleverness. :smiley:

It was one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen.

[/funny story]

Thanks ruadh!! Consider me eternally in your debt. I’ll be your personal slave from now on. Your wish is my command, oh master. :wink:

Now, is Mhath also written correctly?

I posted Gaelic from memory and the only correction ruadh makes is the direction of the accent??!

Woo-hoo!! (How do you say “Damn, I’m good!” in Gaelic?)

:cool:

In Scots Gaelic, yes. In Irish it would be “mhaith”.