Racial Slur?

Mrs. Plant used “you folks” at work yesterday and had a guy jump down her throat. Apparently a New York term, I’ve often had to explain “she’s not from around here”, to people in AR, but we’ve never had this happen.
Of the three Black acquaintences I saw today, one tells me it is a slur, another says it may be “depending upon where you come from” and a third works for city government and is expected to lie as a matter of course. :slight_smile:
What is the opinion of Black dopers?

Huh? “you folks” is a racial slur? WTF?

You folks is a racial slur? Did she say it to a bunch of black people and it sounded by “you people” as in: “You people are always blah, blah, blah.”

But just saying “You folks?” It wouldn’t occur to me to think I should possibly be almost offended.

Biggirl,
“Hey Fred, Ms. Smith asked if you folks could paint the furniture today.”

Fred being the head guy and his staff exclusively Black. Ms. Smith being exclusively Black, for that matter. :slight_smile:

She does talk funny sometimes, but he repeated, “You folks! You folks!”.

Thanks

CP

Well then had I been your wife my answer would have been, “Yeah, folks. You folks. That folk over there and this folk here.”

Even if, by some strange and magical stretch of the vernacular the phrase “you folks” could be considered offensive, why would someone take offense when it is obvious none was intended?
Some folks are just too thin-skinned.

That’s what all you folks always say.

I wouldn’t think “you folks” used in that context could be considered a racial slur. It was used in the same manner that I would use “y’all” and “y’all” has nothing to do with race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc…

Just my $.02 worth.

You normal skinned people are always discriminating against us dermal density challenged people.

No, he’s being a dumb butt.

This isn’t even a case of “if I didn’t mean it offensively Wop is a perfectly good term.”

Ask him about my favorite “all yall”.

No way, Jose! Not a racial slur at all. It sounds like she has a real live-wire idiot on your hands. I suggest that she report him for harassment ASAP, she really shouldn’t have to put up with that kind of crap.

They’ve since settled it, he having had a “bad day”, but something hacked him off. Maybe he associated the Archie Bunker New York accent with racism, or maybe he knew that she is married to the infamous Carnivorousplant. :slight_smile:
Thanks, everyone.
CP

"I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good.

I hate a song that makes you think that you are just born to lose. Bound to lose. No good to nobody. No good for nothing. Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim too ugly or too this or too that. Songs that run you down or poke fun at you on account of your bad luck or hard traveling.

I am out to fight those songs to my very last breath of air and my last drop of blood. I am out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world and that if it has hit you pretty hard and knocked you for a dozen loops, no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work.

And the songs that I sing are made up for the most part by all sorts of folks just about like you."

**--Woody Guthrie**  (A Folksinger, as I recall.)

Yeesh! Talk about skin so thin you can read a newspaper through it!

As in you folks better put down the 40s and KFC wings and get your monkey asses back to work?

What? That’s not racial, right?
Anyway, the correct New York pronounciation is “Yooos Folks”.

Stop saying “folks”!

The word has lost all meaning to me after reading it 23427 times in this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Medea, I got all yall beat. I can be heard saying “Alla yalls better stop that yellin’” to my kids when they get to boisterous. I’ve got all of 2 kids. And I’m a native New Yorker.

I can’t find a reference to it, but I seem to recall some minor scandal with Ross Perot in his first presidential run saying “you folks” to a bunch of black people. Hystrionics ensued.

Fenris

Short People got no reason,
Short Poeple got no reason,
Short People got no reason to live.

They got little hands, little eyes,
They walk around telling great big lies,
The got tiny little noses, tiny little feet,
They drive tiny little cars that go “Beep, beep, beep”

Well I,
Don’t want no short people,
Don’t want no short people,
Don’t want no short people round here.

Randy Newman (Academy Award nominated composer, as I recall)

He refered to the group he was speaking to and or all Blacks as “You People”. Not cool.

iANABD, but “black folk” or “folks” for short is used by black people to refer to black people, and it could be seen as a slur for a non-black person to refer to a group of black people as folks. This would seem to be more offensive if the reference were to a number of black people within a larger mixed-race group, but could be construed as a reference based on race in any case.