Racing: any mode of transportation not raced?

Is there any form of transportation that is not raced? OK, spaceships are not raced (and don’t bring up the Space Race, that’s not the kind of racing I’m talking about) and neither are airliners. At least not officially, but if you google for >>airliner race<< you will come up with some videos of, I assume, informal races between airliners. So depending on your definition, even airliners are raced. Is there any other non-raced form of transportation?

Elevators
Submarine
Bathyspheres
Freefall
Cablecars
Ski lifts
???

Airplanes on treadmills? Men shot out of cannons?

There are surely lots of informal ad hoc races of virtually all human conveyance.

I’ve never personally seen or heard of unicycle racing or skateboard racing. But no doubt they’ve been done many times.

I can’t imagine sanctioned tank racing (e.g. M1 Abrams) has ever been done. But I can’t rule out that a few servicemen somewhere screwed around and raced a pair of them. Would seem to be risky behavior – with potentially heavy penalties for those involved – but I wouldn’t know personally.

Moving walkways?

First one to take off wins?

We did informal “elevator races” all the time in the dorms in college, though I suspect that there is not a sanctioned elevator racing league.

There was absolutely submarine racing in the Milwaukee area in the 1950s – the teenagers in Happy Days used to drive out to a secluded area to watch it. (OK, maybe not, but they used the term “watching the submarine races” as a euphemism for going to “lover’s lane” to make out.)

Pretty sure the days of racing locomotives are over.

Yes, but they used to be raced, so I rule that they aren’t an answer.

“funicular racing” only has 391 Google results, none of which appear to be about funicular racing so I’m pretty sure that’s not a thing and also not really a thing that, logistically, could happen.

Modification of the question: each of the two racing vehicles must have a human pilot/driver/operator controlling their speed independently of the other. So things like elevators, ski lifts, cablecars, and moving walkways are out.

Tunnel Boring Machines

The 2021 Not-a-Boring Competition

Teams will compete to bore a 30-meter tunnel with a cross-sectional area of 0.2 square meters (equivalent to a circle with a 0.5-meter diameter).

Knowing my cousin, who was a tank commander in both Iraq and Afghanistan, there’s zero chance that he never raced his vehicle. I don’t think he’s ever in his life used any form of transportation at anything less than its maximum possible speed.

You mean bathyscaphe, since the Bathysphere was a one-of-a-kind, non-self-propelled diving ball. Bathyscaphe would be an answer, I believe.

Not counting inside orbiting spacecraft, the main occurances of extended freefall are in the first part of a parachute jump. I imagine that there’s been many informal races by chutists to see who can get to the landing zone first. So I don’t think this one is an answer.

But just once, for 20 minutes, in 1960.

I mean that would just depend on which is the faster treadmill, right? :wink:

Oh yes, they’ve been raced. Not formally, perhaps.

Unicycle, I’ve seen. Skateboarding, I have not. However, I bet they have timed events with one board at a time, like a gymkhana or autocross, but not wheel-to-wheel.

Skatercross