Random Food-Related Confessions

my totally bad…

mrAru is off at ennsic, and I just ate half a jar of nutoka [sort of like nutella] straight out of the carton=\

and I am atkins and diabetic=(

sigh God is a man, otherwise why would he make women crave chocoalte at this time of month? whinge

put me down for asparagus with home made hollandaise sauce, artichokes with melted butter ot homemade hollandaise sauce, spinach salad made with bacon, balsamic vinegar wilted style in bacon drippings served with raw veggies and blue cheese dressing to dip in on the side, never had a PBJ in my life, occasiona;;y drink pickle juice, and have a serious thing for digbys savory toasted cheese [aka cheesy spoo in our house] a heavenly concoction of butter, brie and cream cheese=)

I can hear my arteries harden just thinking about it=)

In my youth I once convinced my mother to let me make a pickle-juice popsicle.

I couldn’t finish it.

snort

Count me into the ‘don’t really care for banana, melon, and fresh tomato’ group.

I have a secret and shameful love for General Tso’s Chicken from the Safeway China Express. KFC’s Popcorn chicken is just too darn good and is my one fast food sin.

My favorite meal is to clean a whole, fresh Dungeness crab and eat it with melted butter, maybe with a little bit of fresh garlic slowly cooked into it.

And cheese is the best thing in the world.

I dig the really, really cheap frozen cheese pizzas at the supermarket. I mean the no-name, 2 for $2.00 variety. I think it’s the sauce.

I dig grilled cheese sandwiches with tomatoes or… apple butter. So good. I also dig PB&J sandwiches with a slice of good American or Cheddar cheese, but only if the jelly is strawberry or apple.

I’ve never eaten any kind of shellfish, pork, lamb, veal, rabbit, any game meat, any organ meat or any poultry save chicken and turkey. I have no plans to ever do so.

I love asparagus, beets, spinach, turnips, parsnips, artichokes, mushrooms, all kinds of leafy greens and really, every vegetable and every fruit – with the screaming (and running away in horror) exception of lychees and starfruit. Blech!

I don’t eat eggs unless they’re entirely hidden as an ingredient. In a cake, mayonnaise or a custard, fine. French toast is occasionally okay. But eggs on a plate? Egg salad? Quiche? Omelette? There’s absolutely no way, I get a little queasy just thinking about eating any of those things.

I also like boxed mac and cheese, but not Kraft. I don’t like the flavor of the cheese. I like the store brands. Right now I am especially appreciative of the Wal-Mart brand. It’s got a nice mellowness to the cheese. I add a ridiculous amount of frozen chopped spinach, some minced garlic, hot sauce and some onion or scallion, sauteed if I’m feeling fancy, but usually just raw. If I’m feeling the need for extra creaminess, I’ll add a little more butter and a nice chunk of cream cheese. Nummy!

[QUOTE=Philster]
I have never eaten a PBJ because I have been guilted into never eating white sliced bread./QUOTE]
I guess the overriding question here is what sliced white bread has to do with PB&J sandwiches. You can make a PB&J on any kind of bread you want. I’m eating one right this minute on 12 Grain & Flax Seed Bread. The bread doesn’t matter.

I love it when I have a piece of leftover steak in the fridge. For breakfast, I’ll slice it up, fry it up in butter until it’s hot, then eat it with ketchup. Those are my favorite breakfasts, ever.

Put me in the ‘hating bananas’ category, too. Especially banana-flavored things. Yech.

In college, I got really high one night with a friend, and ate an entire loaf of homemade bread with butter and an entire jar of strawberry jam.

I believe that cheese is the most perfect food in the world.

steps to podium

My name is wolfman and I’m a cheese-in-a-can-oholic. Specifiacaly Sharp cheddar Easy Cheese. I love fancy cheeze in all it form, and can be a bit of a snob at times, but Sharp Cheddar Easy Cheese is like crack.

I buy a can of cheese and a box of Ritz. then I make five sandwiches and eat them, and put the cheese and crackers in the cupboard. About 30 seconds later I go and get the can and the crackers and eat 5 or 6 more. Repeat ad-naseum, until the can is empty. Then I suck on the nozzle like a nipple to get any remaining atoms of cheese. I simply have no self-control. If there is Sharp Cheddar easy cheese in the house I simply am not capable of thinking about else until it is well and truly empty.

steps away from podium hanging head in shame

I despise homemade stuffing-but I absolutely adore the boxed stuff. Stove Top, Butterball, it’s all soooo good. I love it. But I won’t eat homemade. (Yes, I know that’s gross, but if preferring the pre-packaged stuff is wrong, I don’t wanna be right).

I also love Jeno’s/Tostino’s frozen pizza. The cheapest thing out there.

And um, Pizza Hut. I love Pizza Hut.

Uh…I’m going to leave now. Goodbye.

:o

I ::heart:: gas/petrol station food. Teriyaki beef jerky, cheese curds, lukewarm burritos and pork pies, toxic orange nacho cheeze…yummmm. This often overlooked cuisine has, IMHO, been raised to an art form in Ireland. The most toothsome being a Breakfast Roll or a Bacon Sausage.
A Breakfast Roll is a crusty baguette sliced lengthwise and slathered in butter. It is then filled with rashers, sausages, white pudding (black being nasty), fried potatoes, baked beans, grilled tomatoes and grilled mushrooms. Brown sauce is liberally applied, then all 12 inches of paradise is wrapped in tinfoil. Served with a cold Cidona or a cup of milky tea it is The Breakfast of the Gods.
What I call a Bacon Sausage is a sausage, wrapped in streaky bacon and stuffed with seasoned breadcrumbs. Deep fry until crunchy and you have The Snack Food of the Gods.

Ahh. My version is Kraft Mac & Cheese, a can of drained tuna and a half can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup (undiluted). And I must be totally honest: the resulting dish looks like vomit. Really, really. The sight of it is enough to send both the WryGuy and the Terrible Teen to the back of the house, gagging. They do not understand at all how I could eat this. I love it.

I was also raised in a very ethnic Italian household, and I get the “no Irish Spring soap” rule (in fact, the very first rule I broke when I got my own house!) but I must confess: I eat Spaghettios sometimes. And I put a dollop of butter on 'em first. I also butter Pop*Tarts.

Back when we were poor, Mom invented a meal that we kids took to instantly. She’d peel, chop and boil a couple pounds of potatoes, then, without draining them, stir in a large can of tomato puree, several shakes of garlic powder, and a pound of sliced hot dogs. “Hot Dog Stew!” she proclaimed. It sounds yucky, but it’s actually pretty yummy.

My mother-in-law eats her oatmeal with salsa, instead of brown sugar.

You can gag. I’m still giggling.

The rest of this thread inspired me . . . to put a cup of Chef Boyardee mini ravioli in the microwave.

I have seven other cans just waiting for the right moment.

In my family, we have a saying: “Asparagus is not an option.” I had to go and marry an asparagus-freak. He insisted that I only disliked asparagus because I’d only had mushy asparagus from a can (although he likes that nasty stuff too.) So we bought fresh asparagus, I looked up a recipe from Cook’s Illustrated to cook it with… and nope, it was still deeeeee-stgusting.

Things I eat that other people (mainly, my husband) find gross:

The Pure Fat Sandwich: Salami, Pepperoni and cream cheese.

Chili Mac: Kraft mac ‘n’ cheese, with ground beef, chili powder and drained diced canned tomatoes.

Rice and Spinach Soup: Saute chopped garlic and tomato paste in olive oil until it is a lurid shade of orange. Add Chicken Stock, rice and spinach. Cook until rice is done. Eat with Parmesan. I usually put in more rice that you are supposed to, and make a huge vat so that I will have leftovers. After a while in the fridge, the rice swells and splits, and it becomes a sort of half-assed risotto.

When I was a child, I would take packets or cubes of buillion and make broth, then put in all sort of weird spices and drink it from a coffee cup.

:eek:
My cardiologist would call you evil incarnate and run from your presence, screaming.

I remember when store bought tomatoes were good enough to eat whole like an apple (with just a little salt). That’s how we ate them when I was a kid. They’re too mealy for that now and I am not a talented enough gardener to grow my own.

I also like asparagus, but not the canned variety. We never had this when I was a kid but later when I was teenager my mother started buying fresh asparagus and I found I liked it. Not the canned variety though. I also like many other vegetables that people wrinkle their noses at cauliflower, brussels sprouts but much of that comes from spending about 10 years as a vegetarian and needing to expand my horizons.

I am also a reformed pickle and olive juice drinker. Olive juice being preferred. I’d drink it in those little juice glasses when I was a kid. Now I limit myself to occasional sips from the jar for old times sake.

I like pickled okra. Even stranger I like it with squeeze cheeze. Poke a little hole in it and squeeze the cheeze right in, lovely.

I also love mayonnaisse. I try it with many things, however I don’t like it when there is more mayo on my tuna salad than there is tuna. I grew up on the generic “salad dressing” not even Miracle Whip so I was surprised when I discovered that mayo actually had some flavor to it.

But more so than mayo, I use Ranch dressing on lots of things. I often use it as a pasta sauce (although I have cut back on pasta so I don’t do this as much). I always have some ranch dressing on hand. Yes, I even dip cheese in ranch dressing.

Hmm … what else? Well, that’s all I can think of for now. I remember one school age food habit I won’t try again, eating sugar sandwiches - white bread, margarine and granulated sugar. It makes my teeth hurt to even think about it now.

My favorite kind of cheese is Velveeta.

Can I have your receipe? This sounds too good to let alone. :o

I may be this gourmet chef now, but I have to admit: Velveeta makes perfect cheese sauce for homemade Mac & Cheese.

Okay, okay. Your husband wins.

I’ve never tried spam. It kinda scares me. The very thought of defiling my precious cheese in a can by putting it in the cavity of a piece of spam makes me shudder. However, since I’ve never tried spam, I might like it.

Hmmmmm… <scratches chin speculatively>Maybe it’s time to buy some spam.

I love lox that has been quick-fried in bacon grease. My dream is to open a restaurant in which everything on the menu is cooked in bacon grease. ;j

I’ve been known to eat roasted baby lamb. :eek:

Sure!

1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 c water
8-10 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
salt
pepper
1 c cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tsp paprika

Dissolve the cream of tartar in the water. Add potatoes and toss together. Drain.
Place half of potatoes in crockpot. Sprinkle with onions, salt & pepper (to taste), and half of the cheese.
Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese.
Spoon soup over top. Sprinkle with paprika.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4 hours.