Rank the four leagues.

How would you rank the four major American sports leagues in terms of your personal enjoyment of them?

The only one I watch is MLB, pretty regularly.

1. NHL.

2-4. everything else.

1. mlb
  2. nhl
  3. nba
  4. nfl
  1. **MLB **The only sport I still really care about, even this is nothing compared to 10 years ago. Replay, shifts, constant pitching changes are all hurting the sport I love. Older terrible trend was allowing batter after batter to step out between pitches to adjust gloves and the like and the slowness of pitchers actually pitching.
  2. NFL: Drifiting away, replay and the safety rules are actually detracting from my enjoyment. Also I swear the announcing keeps getting dumber and worse.
  3. NBA: I’ve drifted away from the sport as defense was regulated out and faking for fouls increased. Doesn’t help my teams are Knicks & to a lesser extent Nets.
  4. NHL: they went on strike in 95 and I found I didn’t miss the sport.
  1. MLB
  2. NHL
  3. NFL
  4. NBA

The first three are really close together. I enjoy all three of those sports; if you asked me on another day, my answer might change, but I grew up loving the Cubs, the Hawks, and the Bears. But since my 20s, I’ve become more of a casual consumer of sports. I try to watch the Bears game every Sunday. I have the Cubs on in the background. I start paying close attention to the Hawks during playoff time. I’m not the obsessive “watch every Cubs game I can” type of person I was when I was a kid.

NBA I simply don’t give a shit about. I was lucky enough to have attended all the home conference semi-finals, conference finals, and finals games for the Bulls’ fifth and sixth runs in '97 and '98. I was working photography stuff, half running and dunking (processing) film, half shooting, got to walk on the court and all that kind of fun stuff. And, I mean, it was cool. It was fantastic watching such athleticism in action and getting so close to the players that they’d actually touch/run into you at times. And the theatre and atmosphere of the playoffs was jaw-dropping. But, even with those experiences, it didn’t instill any sort of interest in the sport. Maybe it’s because I always sucked at basketball, I just never got any joy out of it (that said, I never played hockey, so that can’t be the full explanation.) It just bores me in the way my favorite sport, baseball, bores other people.

1. MLB
  2. NFL
    wide gap
  3. NBA (been to two games in my life, watch about one game per year on TV)
  4. NHL (been to one game in my life, watched zero games on TV)
    wide gap
  5. MLS
  1. NBA
  2. MLB
  3. NHL
  4. NFL

There are other sports I love that would fit in amongst all of these, but this is my ranking of the top 4.

1. MLB
  2. NFL
  3. NBA
  4. NHL

I’d probably like the last two leagues more if they had teams in my state.

1.NBA
4.MLB
6.NFL
8.NHL

The extra slot are loosely representational of more minor sports( like, say, tennis or the WNBA )that I slightly prefer to major leagues. But really I’m content to watch any of them semi-randomly. I just don’t usually make the time. The NBA is the only one I closely follow now. But for me it tends to vary from year to year.

And I am 100% a bandwagon jumper. If a local team is doing unusually well, I’ll start watching them more. If they’re doing particularly shitty not only will I stop watching them, I might even abandon watching that sport entirely that year. I have no loyalty or fidelity to any sports or sport franchises and limited purist love for any game. Entertain me by winning or at least losing in a close, exciting way or get the fuck out of my way :).

So for example given the current state of the 49’ers and Raiders, I’ve not been watching a lot of football this year :p. You have to at least be competitive.

1. NFL
    gap
  2. MLB
  3. NHL
    big gap
  4. NBA

I grew up in Green Bay, where being a Packer fan is a birthright. I now have the Packer season tickets that have been in my family since the 1950s, and I have a share of stock in the team. But, that said, the head injury issue is increasingly making it uncomfortable for me to watch football, and I’ve grown tired of the league’s attempts to monetize every single moment of the game, and the ridiculous contortions of recent rule changes (like the rules on acceptable ways to hit quarterbacks, and what constitutes a catch).

I also grew up as a Brewers fan (in the 1970s and 1980s, when they were often pretty good), and was a big fan of the sport for years. But, the 1994 strike started to sour me on the game, and the PED issue hurt even more. And, as What Exit? notes, the game’s current pace and strategies make it increasingly feel like a different game. I watched the playoffs this year (largely because the Brewers were in it), and I’ll sometimes watch games on TV, but I haven’t been to an MLB game in a decade (and I used to attend 2-3 a year).

I didn’t start following hockey until the late 1990s, but I became a Blackhawks fan (an era which coincided with them being a pretty bad team, in fact, and they were rarely televised, due to a policy of the then-owner). I’ve since enjoyed watching the Blackhawks win three Stanley Cups, but I’ve never gotten into the sport in the way that I’d gotten into football or baseball.

I followed the NBA (specifically, the Bucks) when I was in high school, when I was also playing a lot of intramural and pickup basketball. While I followed the Bulls during the 1990s (because it was hard to be living in Chicago and not be following the Bulls during their championship runs), I just don’t pay attention to the sport at all anymore; I’m not even sure that I could tell you why I don’t.

1.MLB
2.NFL
3.NHL
4.NBA

There are some huge enjoyment gaps between 2 & 3 and 3 & 4. I really stopped caring about pro basketball around the time of the Pistons’ last championship ('04). Same goes for the NHL and the Red Wings ('08). I’m really just a fair-weather home-team fan of basketball and hockey.

if you’re in Washington you’re probably going to be in luck. sounds like a Seattle NHL team is a done deal.

1. NFL
  2. NBA
    (big drop-off)
  3. MLB
    (big drop-off)
  4. NHL

NFL is my main love. NBA has been catching up for me, though, for a number of reasons… local team (Warriors) are good and a joy to watch play, my friends are bigger NBA than NFL fans, my local NFL team (Raiders) are leaving and I’m worried about the longevity of the NFL. Wouldn’t be surprised if the NBA overtook the NFL for me 5-10 years from now.

MLB, I usually go to a game every year or so, and some of my friends and relatives like watching it so I kinda keep in the loop on it. But it’s just so dang boring to watch.

NHL I’ve never been into, and not really friends with anyone who is, so it stays pretty far off my radar. I’ve only been to a couple games in my whole life and just don’t know enough about the sports, players, etc.

1. Mlb
  2. Nba
  3. Nhl
  4. Nfl
  1. NFL (Grew up a fan.)
  2. MLB (Mostly because my wife is a baseball fan.)
  3. NBA (Local team moved away, meh.)
    (Just imagine more dots.)
  4. NHL (Never watched a game in my life.)

I might give the NHL a chance when a team moves into Seattle. Also, technically MLS is the 3rd; I played soccer in high school and occasionally catch a game on TV. I haven’t been much of an NBA fan since the 90s (I was a big Sonics fan back then).

MLB
NFL
NBA (although prefer NCAA BB over it)
NHL

1. New York-Penn League (Lowell Spinners).
  2. Futures Collegiate Baseball League (Worcester Bravehearts).
  3. National League (Nats).
  4. American League (Sox).
  1. NFL
  2. MLB, if I’m drinking

I never seem drunk enough to enjoy 3 and 4.

Detroit born and raised here, so:

1. NHL - I’d rather win more Stanley Cups than any other of the four league trophies.

:gap:

1. NBA - I grew up with the '89 and '90 Pistons. I would love to get the Pistons back to the top.

:gap:

1. MLB - I do remember the 1984 Tigers. I would love to have a WS winning team again.

:huge gap:

1. NFL - I don’t care at all. Not just that the Lions have always been terrible, I just think the whole league is a mess. In fact, them taking a knee during the anthem is one of the very few redeeming moments in a league filled with junk.
    Note: Along with Stanley Cups, I want the Davis Cup to return to the US. That is my top sport.