Rant-a Claus is coming to town! (December mini-rants)

Mine is just a very basic model. I don’t cook in it and I didn’t want one that could be an air fryer or talk to Alexa. Anyway, last night I heated something up and the plate kept making efforts to turn and finally did a few revolutions near the end of the process. So the motor is working, it’s just not quite up to the task. Back it goes.

Clarity is often a wonderful thing. It’s a PITA that it’s malfunctioing. But now there’s no doubt that’s the probelm.

@Spice_Weasel , I agree with pretty much everything @LSLGuy said here. I’m sorry that trying to get FIL back involved with the family didn’t work. But yeah, it didn’t work in any sort of way. Because of the Alzheimer’s/dementia possibility, I’m not for having your husband block him completely. But I’m all for you doing so.

If he gets a grip and learns how to behave, perhaps he can visit with the family again someday. If he doesn’t, your husband can choose to respond or delete as needed.

He’s always been a narcissist and he’s always had a problem with sexualizing everything (he was voted “Class Flirt” in high school) it’s just been cranked up to 11. His last divorce really messed him up, and in all fairness she fucked him over big time. That’s when he really seemed to go off the deep end, and it’s not just us who noticed. He recently got in touch with a friend of my husband’s from high school, and the guy later called my husband and said, “What the fuck is up with your Dad? All he did was talk about his sex life.” I believe he’s doing this constant revolving door of women thing because he doesn’t want to feel abandoned again. But rather than addressing this with his therapist, he’s acting out around family. And it’s being constantly reinforced by his brothers, who are worse than he is.

My husband thinks there is a potential here for borderline personality disorder, but we hadn’t considered dementia.

I don’t think either my husband or I are at the point of cutting him off completely, just blocking his gross texts. But for now I need a break. And he travels all the time anyway, so we’ll probably get a natural break.

It was just so liberating to realize I don’t actually have to put up with it.

Quoted for Truth & Emphasis.

Good on ya!

You have a document control person? I’m JEALOUS! We just have a black hole that we tidy when its audit time.

Meanwhile, I forgot to do a critical goods receipt. Whoops! Got it in just before the deadline. Unfortunately, it only took me about 30 seconds to do. I’m gonna spend an hour going over my other POs to make sure I didn’t miss any other GRs and then I’ll go back to my book. Because, then, I’ll have nothing else to do until other people do their work.

You don’t. I’m happy for you for that realization. Maybe I can take some pointers from you regarding some of my family.

We actually have two! Unfortunately, one of them has told me repeatedly that she has no idea what to do with some of the books and other materials in the main storage area, which is why I will be helping her. The other person is primarily concerned with digital documents, and has insinuated that her manager would like to do away with hard copies completely. (Fortunately, the main storage room is really the responsibility of the engineering department, so its contents are safe.)

Saw a Dr. yesterday about new glasses. I might have a cataract that needs to be removed.
( Ugh )

I got there early & asked to freshen up before the appointment, and they gave me the code to the Men’s. Alls good ( there’s paper ) but when I was leaving an older man ( 70? 72?) was at the door, so I let him in to use the Men’s. And he was carrying a small pistol on his back belt. The guy didn’t look like a cop; too old. It’s a Medical building… no money to steal, no one is going to rob you. WTF!? What kind of Small Dick Energy Asshole carries a gun into a Medical Building!?

Doctors are there to help people. Billing problems? Call your insurance or call the office or see them if you must but… WTF do you need a gun for?

#LeaveTheGunsHome

I bet you could’ve lifted it out of the holster and made off with it, without him even knowing (bump him as you blunder past him, if needed).

Voilà, one less gun in a medical workplace, and you’ve got a free gun!* And even if he did run after you, he’s old enough (and relying on Small Dick Energy, not Exercise Energy) that you could outrun him!

*Bonus: you’d have a gun that can’t be traced back to you. I’m sure we could come up with a list of fun things you could do with that…

Cute plan, but truthfully what would I want with a gun!?

Also ‘going for the gun’ as a reasonable doubt argument should he decide to kill me. I don’t want to die & the last thing this world needs is another yahoo bragging about ‘good guy with a gun’ BS. Besides, my Drs are in that building, it’s my town, and they Know me. This isn’t some crappy waffle house off a highway in Houston at 3AM…

In case you took any of that seriously, I was joking! It was just a little mind game, a “what if?” … and, yes, a potentially dangerous, even deadly, “what if”!

If I thought there was any chance anyone would take that as serious advice, I never would’ve typed it.

eta: reread it, and your “cute plan” comment makes me feel better that you took it in the ‘absurdist humor’ nature it was intended.

I’m sorry. It just galls me. I mean, this guy was a dead ringer for Joe Montagna except for a deep tan and greying hair. Fine, dress like a Movie Star, play it up, get laid 7 nights a week… it’s your business. But there’s just no reason to bring a gun into a hospital or a medical building.

( Is it to much to ask that if you’re going to see a Dr, that you leave your damn guns home?
Or lock them in a lock-box in your car. Where’s that “The More You Know” NBC Gif when you need it?)

The people who convince themselves to carry would feel naked without it. Doesn’t alter the stupidity of it, but that’s how they feel.

Any traffic light could have a carjacking, any random person in a grocery store could start blazing away at their ex-, whatever. I Gotta Be PREPARED to Return FIRE" is all they know.

Where do you live that it’s even allowed? You can’t do that here (NC), medical facilities don’t permit it.

I don’t think it Is allowed, but I’m no lawyer. A man passes you in a doorway with a gun, who are you going to call, Ghost Busters?

And what if it is legal in NJ? The cops would be Incredibly Pissed if you called them out for something that was legal…

(Legal or no, it’s Immoral though…)

Security. That’s who you call. Probably via the reception desk.

That Dr has a small staff. Three young women ( early 20s? I always look away when they are early 20s. The last thing I need is for one of them to point, screech, and then everyone in 3 blocks is chasing you like “Invasion of The Body Snatchers”.). Not security per se, just clerks and maybe medical assistants. And before you say it, US Healthcare is expensive enough w/o PTSD guards standing around and looking for trouble to justify a paycheck.

Again, we don’t know that he doesn’t have a CCW; I object that CCW extends into medical facilities. Also, who here wants to startle/scare a paranoid old grandpa who is armed and who might react badly? Raise your hands please. ( Would you like popcorn too? )

In the end, I did Not report it. The visit Did go smoothly. No one was shot at all. While I am unhappy with the murder-toy’s presence I have to admit that that went as well as could be expected.

Well, glad it was a mini-rant and didn’t escalate to a maxi-rant.

It’s late, I’ve been on my feet for eleven hours, am back at work in another twelve, and I’m too tired to form a coherent reply.

But I wanted you to know that ^^ got a serious eye-roll out of me.

In less than one hour, it will be the year 2023 in Australia! Where did the time go?