Ranting and raving about Big Trouble in Little China

I don’t think the kidnapping at the airport was part of any scheme by Lo Pan. I think that was an independent operation by the Lords of Death - kidnapping fresh-off-the-plane Chinese girls, and selling them to the brothel. The fact that one happened to have green eyes was accidental.

Apparently, not just any green eyed girl would do - there’s that whole ritual thing where their eyes go all white and they float around holding swords improperly. So there’s some other element they need besides just the eyes. I’m guessing that Lo Pan probably tried a bunch of white girls in his little ritual, and they kept failing, so he gave up on them, figuring only a proper Chinese girl would do. He is, after all, thousands of years old, and you know how racist some old people can be.

Easiest answer here is that they flat don’t give a shit which mortals are on their “team.”

But, it’s possible that it’s retaliation for the kidnapping at the airport. This is pretty fanwanky, but bear with me.

The kidnapping at the airport wasn’t orchestrated by Lo Pan. It’s just a side gig the Lords of Death have going - kidnapping girls fresh off the airplane from China, and selling them to the brothels. It’s pure chance that they happen to grab Miao Yin. They weren’t targeting her specifically. The brothel itself isn’t part of Lo Pan’s criminal network. It belongs to an unnamed rival. That’s why Lightning Guy blows the roof off the place and kills the madam when he takes Miao Yin, instead of just having her delivered to Lo Pan’s front door.

Word gets out that the Jade Dragon has a green eyed Chinese girl, and reaches Lo Pan. He orders the raid on the brothel, and sends the three storms to teach the Lords a lesson about who they work for. Jack manages to walk into the middle of both of these.

I’m pretty sure that was all the effect of the magic potion Egg gave them right before the big fight. That’s what gave Wang the ability to do all those impossible wuxia leaps when he was fighting the Storm.

A yaoguai maybe?

Nah, the BTiLC world just has demons and monsters in it.

One of the charms of the movie is that it’s basically about an American who stumbles into the last act of an epic story, and assumes that he’s the star of the whole thing. There may be something profound about American-Chinese relations in that.

Anyway, Lo Pan and Egg Shen clearly have a history, and I suspect this movie isn’t the first time Egg Shen has interfered in Lo Pan’s schemes. How long back that enmity extends is open to question. It certainly would not be out of place in this movie for Egg to be a few centuries old himself, or he could be just as old as he appears, and has only been fighting Lo Pan for the last few decades. Maybe he learned about Lo Pan from his master, who also spent his life opposing him, and who learned about him from his master, and so on.

Information about Egg Shen? Recreational torture? Snacks?

Maybe he just doesn’t like her all that much.

I’m glad they didn’t make a direct sequel, either, but as it happens, I caught a great movie on Netflix the other night that could very well take place in the same universe. It’s a Korean action comedy called Woochi. Kung fu wizards fighting monsters on the streets of modern Seoul. I enjoyed the heck out of it.

He didn’t kiss her goodbye because it’s wasn’t goodbye!

You just listen to the old Pork Chop Express here now and take his advice on a dark and stormy night when the lightning’s crashin’ and the thunder’s rollin’ and the rain’s coming down in sheets thick as lead. Just remember what old Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right square in the eye and he says, ‘Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.’

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye, and asks you if you paid your dues; you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol’ Jack Burton always says at a time like that: “Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.”

“You never could beat me.”

“Jack Burton. Me.”

Her name is Gracie Law, not Gracie Lee.

Timely thread. I just dropped by to say that I’ve watched it many times over the years and just watched it again yesterday.

Re: Lo Pan and Egg Shen, I got the impression that they were bitter enemies the last time Lo Pan was flesh. Lo Pan did make a comment about '‘peasant’ magic during their fight at the end.

Bob

I see things… all fuzzy…

I think the movie’s second - no, third greatest strength is that it does not waste time carefully explaining details. It’s an action movie; in-depth back-story is not necessary, when a couple of throw away lines are enough to give you the gist of it. The movie keeps its prioritizes straight and maintains internal consistency, and that’s enough*.

Comedy action, in my opinion, is very difficult, and this is one of the few movies that gets it right. I love this movie.

Grace was born in China, so she is Chinese, in that sense.

“Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this earth to ‘get it’.”

Nah. I’m as white as white can be and I dig it too.

That’s one reason, sure, but another is that it’s just a completely cool movie. It’s a wonderful companion to The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, I believe Jack Burton to be a Blue Blaze Irregular because believing so makes the universe a better place (even if he’d make Perfect Tommy cry). Who cares why Wing Cong are fighting the three storms and stuff? Revel in a universe where that sort of thing happens in back alleys, and in which under Los Angeles flows the black blood of the Earth.

Not only do I enjoy this movie, but it’s one of my all time favorite commentary tracks. John Carpenter and Kurt Russell basically just laugh their way through the whole movie, going off on tangents right and left and reminiscing about their careers together. Sounds like two old friends having a great visit.

Do you mean oil?

I mean BLACK BLOOD OF THE EARTH!

“Wait, what’s that say?”
“‘Hell of the boiling oil’’”
“You’re kidding.”
“Yeah, I am. It says ‘Keep Out’”

Every word of this movie is golden.

W.D. Richter directed & produced “Buckaroo”, and adapted “Big Trouble.” You probably already knew, but you didn’t mention it, and others might not know.

Yes sir, the check is in the mail.

I never drive faster than I can see.

There have been claims that BTILC originated as a BB sequel and morphed into the film we saw. There have also been authoritative denials. But the shared DNA is obvious and fun. Clearly, what’s needed is a third movie tying the two together. Yeah. That’s what Jack Burton says…

This guy-
Jack Burton, Me - YouTube