Raw vegan babies

Is it possible to raise a healthy baby on a raw vegan diet. The child would not be fed breast milk* or formula.

I was reading a site where a woman with a newborn, and no access to breast milk was looking for help on this subject. My first thoughts were that it would be impossible for this lady to create a healthy diet that met her restrictions, but I could be wrong. She was given recommendations to use things like juice and coconut milk. IIRC this set of foods is similar to the one fed to a baby whose parents were recently on trial for his death by starvation. Clearly that particular set of foods didn’t work, but is it possible for for a child to thrive on a diet that has these restrictions placed on it?

*I know that vegans have no problem with breast milk, and the vegan sites I looked at before making this thread were in favor of breastmilk or formula.

No, no, you should always cook your vegan babies first.

All I can say is, should you try to do so, you’d better be really careful you get it right, at least in Georgia

Now that I think about it, I’m 99% certain adults can’t thrive on a raw diet long term, so this thread is moot. Changing the thread slightly, adults can do fine on a raw diet short term. What about babies?

Slithy, that’s the kid I mentioned in the OP. Thanks for digging up a link.

I’ve never felt so at one with Q.E.D. as I do right now.

I’m not sure…I wouldn’t give a newborn baby raw foods from the get-go. I would breastfeed/give formula for at least 3-5 months because, with my limited understanding, their little stomachs can’t really handle much else. And I agree with Omega Glory, but like I said, my understanding on this is limited so I’m probably wrong about a lot of stuff.
Besides I’m Italian and Greek. I’m pretty sure that in our whole family lineage not a single person even considered vegetarianism. xD

[Thetis]
Try your vegan baby styx with dip.
[/Thetis]

Babies need animal fat in their diets for brain development, and formula has been developed to mimic the proteins and fats that a baby would get in breastmilk. I seriously doubt that any diet that did not include formula or breastmilk will be adequate in this area. I seriously hope that there are people who are giving her better advice than to use juice & coconut milk! Ack!

What a terrible idea. Raw vegan diets are fine for adults who can choose these things, but babies need all kinds of fats and nutrients to grow and develop. A newborn shouldn’t be fed anything but mother’s milk or the closest approximation thereof for several months. Their systems are not mature enough to handle solids or raw foods, and juice is an awful idea–too much sugar and not enough nutrition.

I sure hope this mother comes to her senses, or she’ll be doing her baby terrible damage.

There was a case about this in New York City a few years ago. A staunch raw vegan family caused severe developmental damage both mentally and physically by insisting on such a diet. I think the child died but it may have just been left severely disabled. Terrible idea.

I have to wonder who in the vegan community these people were getting their information from.

There was a rash of infant deaths in the 1980s from parents giving their babies soy milk rather than soy formula. The FDA started a major campaign in 1990 to warn parents that soy milk equaled death.

I thought the entire vegan community was well aware of this, and that vegan parents in their late 20s would have been exposed to or have easy access to this information.

Which leads me to wonder a bit about their protests that they had no idea what they were doing or that a 3 1/2 pound six-week-old baby was in danger until moments before the death.

There is no substitute for formula. Soy formula is more expensive than soy milk, which is one reason people were reluctant to abandon it, but it is still perfectly vegan.

Historically, babies have lived on the milk of other animals and survived. Presumably that’s the way that milk drinking was introduced into early societies. But it’s chancy and an option only if there is no alternative. Juice and coconut milk are quackery.

It’s an FAQ style site where you can ask the raw vegan site owner for advice. Then the q and a’s are printed for others to learn from. So, who knows how long ago the exchange took place, and what her final decision was. She was told to try and find a wetnurse, and if that wasn’t possible, to try the things mentioned in the OP. They did tell her to keep a close eye on the baby’s growth though. It was said that the coconut milk would have sufficient fat for the baby’s development.

One can only hope she ran the idea by her pediatrician before doing it.

Unless “raw diet” has some sort of a specific meaning I’m sure you mean “raw vegan diet”. Adults can certainly thrive on a raw diet – the survivability of it becomes a question of immunology and not nutrition.

What is your source on this?

As it happens, my eight month old grandson (who is fed almost entirely on breast milk, of which my daughter-in-law has a copious supply) loves tabouleh, although he rejects things like yougurt and scraped fruit. He is presumably digesting the cous-cous, but the parsley is coming out unchanged. There may be raw veggies such an infant can digest, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Can a grownup live entirely on a (raw) vegan diet? Short answer: no, not without B12 supplements. Only micrograms required, but they are required. I don’t think there are any other explicit deficiencies, but it is not a normal diet. Vegans who claim that this was our diet in the wild are crazy. There is some evidence (far from watertight) that it was the adoption of a diet with lots of animal protein (including, of course, fish and shellfish) that led to the brain expansion of homo sap.

I had thought I heard about a story recently where the young parents did this and the baby died. I remember reading about their upcoming court appearence.

This is the one I’m talking about: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/

Although just searching for it brought up other similar stories.

Not the most stringent of facts for GQ, but I do have some anecdotal evidence: I had a friend in college who had the most restrictive diet that I’ve ever seen. He was allergic or could not tolerate much of anything: all dairy (I think he could eat yogurt, but didn’t like the taste), gluten, wheat, most meats. He was the most frail, thin, pasty, almost always sick in some way sort of human that I have ever met. I met his parents who were somewhat normal looking except that they were unusually thin. It turns out that they’re of the hippy, pocket mulching, level 4 vegan (doesn’t eat anything that casts a shadow) variety. Thank God they only subjugated one child to such a diet.

“Raw diet” as used today almost always implies veganism as well. Steak tartare and sushi are right out.

That’s the same link already given in post #3.

Strange I understood this term to refer to eating regular foods, even with more of a Atkins ‘extra meat’ context. The belief is that cooking destroys some nutrition, and it was the diet man was suppose to have before God gave us fire. This is the first time I’ve heard it in a vegan context.