Real names of televison characters

Potsie = Warren Weber

No one’s mentioned that Shaggy is really Norville Rogers?

Or that MacGuyver’s first name was Angus?

and isn’t Thaddeus the “T” in Capt. James T. Kirk? Although that’s along the lines of unknown middle names, like Richie “Rosebud” Petrie on “The Dick Van Dyke Show.”

I think that Mary Ann’s last name was Summers. I’m pretty sure in one episode they hear their names on the radio, but I could be wrong.

Tiberius

The “T” stands for Tiberius.

Speaking of Gilligan’s Island, wasn’t it revealed once that Mrs. Howell’s real first name isn’t Lovie?

I don’t believe it was ever established the “Lovie” was her actual name; it was merely Howell’s nickname for her. The IMDB gives her actual first name as “Eunice.”

B. J. Hunnicutt’s (from MAS*H) initials stand for Bea (his mother’s name) and Jay (his father’s name).

Though Hawkeye doesn’t believe this.

I recall very distinct reading somewhere (I’ll try to dig up the cite) that Lovie WAS her real name, but they identifed her as Eunice on a radio broadcast the Professor picked up.

The Master Speaks

After many years of dodging the question, Inspector Morse finally revealed that his first name was Endeavor (he was named after Captain Cook’s ship).

On Roseanne, Mark Healy’s younger brother was initially introduced as “Kevin.” Later, when he became Darlene’s boyfriend, he was “David.”

Roseanne later said that “David’s not even his real name. It’s just something Darlene started calling him.” Obviously someone caught the mistake.

Richie Petrie, son of Rob and Laura Petrie on The Dick Van Dyke Show, has an unusual middle name: Rosebud. They did an entire show on it (he got it because all of his relatives wanted him to be named after them and so they put the first letters of all their names together and came up with “Rosebud”).

In the British version of Dear John Kirk St. Moritz’s real name was Eric Morris.

It really annoyed me that the character in the US version was named Kirk Morris, completely losing the joke of the name in the first place.

Venus Flytrap: Gordon Sims.

On Roseanne D.J. Connor’s initials stand for David Jacob. On Full House D.J. Tanner’s initials stand for Donna Jo (or Joe).

On that show, Jesse was initially introduced as Jesse Cochrain (that’s a phonetic spelling…), but later on when it became more convienient for him to be of Greek heritage it changed to Jesse Katsopilous (again, phonetic). There was also an episode which revealed each of Jesse, Joey and Danny’s middle names, but I can’t recall what they were.

What’s the joke?

When Full House started Jesse had a band. It was established that “Cochrain” was his (non-ethnic) stage name, and his real last name was Katsopilous.

I’ve always wondered about D.J. Tanner’s paternity. Her middle name is “Joe,” and she looks an awful lot like Joey.

Homer J. Simpson’s middle name is “Jay.”

On wrestling:

Hulk Hogan - Terry Bollea
Shawn Michaels - Michael Higginbotham
The Rock - Dwayne Johnson
Stone Cold Steve Austin - Steve Williams
Triple H (Hunter Hearst Helmsley) - Paul Levesque
Kane - Glen Jacobs
Undertaker - Mark Calloway
Hurricane - Gregory Helms
Lita - Amy Dumas
Edge - Adam Copeland
Akio - Jimmy Yang
Eugene - Nick Dinsmore
Chris Jericho - Chris Irvine
Rob Van Dam - Robert Szatowski
Raven - Scott Levy
Farooq - Ron Simmons

Also, Fry’s full name is Philip J. Fry and Dr. Zoidberg’s first name is John.

–Cliffy