Reasons to be happy

2001 started off on it’s typical dull note for me. By months end, it turned very gloomy with the my brother’s illness and passing.

After a few weeks of just general crappiness, I have sunshine in my life again:

1. One of our best friends had a baby girl on monday morning. Annika Sigrund Burney, 9#, 22 inches, crop of black hair. Great fun intelligent well traveled couple. Every one is healthy and happy. I was just so damn thrilled for them.

2)Today I am suppose to receive via UPS …(drumroll please) a laptop computer. I am so very excited about this that I keep peeking out the window hoping for the big brown truck to pull into my drive way. I’m practically bursting into song, *" Oh ho the Wells-Fargo wagon is a coming down the road …" * (See #3)

1. Last night on cable I caught the last quarter of one of my favorite musicals, The Music Man. What an unexpected treat. ( I do own this video, but it is just not the same as a random surprise.)

2. I counted up all the money I’ve squirrelled away from watching a friends little one during the week ( not five days, that’s a killer) and when the visa bill comes in for the computer, I have the cold hard cash to pay it in full.God, does that feel good!

5)Something I never take for granted: my kids and ones closest to me are healthy.

What has made you happy lately?

(1) My puppydog Phyllis. (Well, she’s a year old, but still very puppyish.) It’s hard to be bummed or depressed, no matter how hard you try, when she’s around. She’s just so full of joy and enthusiasm!

(2) Mr. Scarlett getting downsized on Feb. 7. No, really! He hated that job, and tended to be irritable a lot. Now his severance package is paying him through May, along with some other payouts; he’s home to work on our perennial remodeling and be “Mr. Mom” to me (I’m self-employed), something he’s always said he’d love to do; he gets to play with Phyllis more, which is good for both of them; and we finally came up with a great self-employment idea for him, and our friends agree it has a lot of potential. He’s more relaxed and enthusiastic than he’s been in months. He’s practically glowing.

(3) I’m healthy (as are my nearest and dearest), and my clients keep me well-supplied with pleasant, good-paying work. (No, I can’t employ Mr. Scarlett – he doesn’t have the skills.)

(4) Music hath charms . . . I’ve recently come back to one of my first loves, playing the piano. We actually have two pianos in our house – one old upright that’s barely in tune, and a lovely console we bought a few years ago. For a while I had drifted away from playing every day, but now that Mr. Scarlett has time to practice his instruments, I’ve dusted off mine. Before Mr. Scarlett, the piano was my soulmate, therapist, and confessor. Nowadays, its value seems to be in the sheer physical joy of playing.

(5) I guess generally I’m just happy to be happy. I think a lot of people spend too much time wishing for what they don’t have instead of appreciating what they do have. I have a fine husband, health, a home, good friends, and work I enjoy. That combination in itself is a wondrous thing.

1. Ok, so it’s no laptop. But I just ordered a few latte mugs for my new place. I’ve been desparate for mugs since I moved in. (As well as desparate for money, but that makes every little thing I buy that much more appreciated.)
  2. Some day, some how, the temperature will rise above 15 degrees outside.
  3. My karate class was extreamly positive last night. In recent weeks, I’ve been getting really depressed about my abilities.
  4. My good friend’s operation was really successful and for the first time in years he doesn’t sound morbidly depressed.
  5. This Saturday is free day at the Walker Art museum! I think I’ll go with one of my friends.
  1. My kitty ran away the other day but she came back that evening.

2. I’ve managed to keep my weight down to 117.

3. I bought a new bedroom set. It’s going to be delivered in three weeks.

1. The sun is shining.

I know, it’s still bloody cold, and they are calling for more snow though we would seem to have had more than our share. But the sun is shining as I write this, glorious and warm coming through the windowpane. I am so seasonally affected, I could almost bask in the sunbeam like my cat does.

My life so bites just now, and it will be a while before any real improvement can be achieved, for all our efforts. It will be a long hard road and we are all ragged from the stress. But just when I think it’s never going to get any better I wake to a day of beautiful sunshine and somehow deep inside I know it will all be okay.

Sunshine. It makes me very, very happy.

Good thread, Shirl

1. Hubby is going to be gone so I’ll have the house to myself tonight!!!

I’m one of those people who needs LOTS of time to myself. “What’s that you say? You want to go play pool with the boys? Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!” So tonight will be a relaxing night filled with a nice hot bath, a big glass of red wine and the living room to myself so I can do my yoga.

1. I’ve been progressing in my yoga.

Finally starting to feel like I can actually DO some of the poses and not just the beginner’s variations. Plus, I swear that its helped get rid of the cellulite on my thighs! Honest!

1. My sister-in-law gave birth yesterday to a healthy boy, Jack Michael.

2. I should be getting my slipcover for my chair in the mail tonight!

Hooray - no more filthy, creme-colored chair!

There’s lots more where those came from but I’ll limit it to those.

I may be breaching protocol by posting here when I’ve got threads elsewhere, but I can’t miss another opportunity to shout from the rooftops. If I AM committing a fox-pass, please just forgive me and chalk it up to a smidge of residual newbie-ness.

We bought our first house.

Polycarp found me a job.

We started a family.

Plus I’m more in love now than I’ve ever been.

Life can be really good. :slight_smile:

Remember Ian Dury’s song "Reasons to be Cheerful"?

1. I worked on my painting for about two hours tonite, and I think I’ll be able to finish it this weekend, yay!

2. I finally got my Kiswahili dictionary, and it is so nice to be able to actually find a work when I need it - and, since this semester has started, I think that it is finally clicking in for me. It might just be in my head, but it FEELS like it is clicking, yay again!

Sue, I lost my godfather last month, so I’m in the same lake as you are. Not the same boat, and God knows I don’t know how you feel. That’s been my least favorite phrase, “Gee, I lost my great uncle Phil 10 years ago. I know how you feel.” BS! No one responds to death the same way, I barely know how I feel, how the hell could you?

Anyhoo, my good things: [ul] [li]I bought this 3 liter bottle of extra virgin olive oil at Costco. So now my new treat is some garlic and olive oil to mop up with bread. Yum. []There is a possible new boy in my life. If this possibility turns out well, I think he could be Something Big in my life.[]I am working out again. Sort of. I’m stretching a lot. I have a screwed up knee, so I can’t do any high impact stuff, and I am too poor to pay for yoga classes. []I rearranged my livingroom, and it looks good. []I have amazing friends. []I have a great relationship with my parents. My dad is one of my best friends. That is a DEFINATE good thing. []I’m getting my hair cut on Friday. I have a perfectly adorable cat. [/ul][/li]Despite all the bad stuff, I feel like waking up tomorrow. I think I’m finally growing up.

1. I’m eating right and exercising. I’ve lost 55 lbs since last March!

2. My ankle has healed to the point where I can continue to run 40-45 minutes, 5 days a week!

3. I bought a Nancy Griffith concert album last weekend. She’s great!

4. I received two e-mails on the same day from former students of mine – both of whom thanked me for being their teacher!

5. I recently discovered the SDMB. My first post got me a welcome from Eve!!!

6. Our school has spring break in 2 weeks, 2 days!

7. I got the ! button fixed on my keyboard!