Reasons to look forward to a film other than the film itself

Who here is familiar with the Underworld series of films? Vampires and werewolves, blue leather, guns, explosions, you got it. First film was fantastic, second film was… not. Third film they were clearly making just because they could. Tonight I saw a trailer for the new Underworld film and my first thought when I saw it was “fantastic! I can’t wait to get the soundtrack”. Apart from the first film the series has blown chunks, but each sound track is some of the best dark rock and metal out there - I can’t get enough and I am seriously looking forward to the next soundtrack being released.

Are there any other films or series of films you can think of where you’ve looked forward to them but not for the actual film? I may have come up with the only reason, but you never know :slight_smile:

For the record I just watch the full trailer of the film and it looks so terrible that I reckon I might get the soundtrack without bothering to watch the film. Bleurgh!

I’ll see a movie just for a particular actor, but I don’t think that’s what you meant.

I’ve also watched a movie because someone I know is in it as an extra, or it was shot somewhere I’m find of.

I suppose one could also be excited about the various merchandising or toys that get produced.

And it’s nice when a film comes out that breaks some sort of social barrier or is about a controversial historical figure.

I would agree with Jackdavinci, that I sometimes watch a movie for a specific actor; sometimes also for the music. Coincidentally, the movie that is most ‘watching an actor’ driven for me, is infact the Underworld series. Kate Becinsale in latex…brr, in the third one replaced by Rhona Mitra…also not bad.

Beat me to it. I was going to say, yes I know the Underworld series of films.They feature Kate Beckinsale in skin tight leather.

Vampires, werewolves blah, blah, blah.

Oh and there was some music while Kate Beckinsale wore the skin tight leather.

The first Marvel character to be in a money-making film wasn’t Spider-Man or Wolverine; it was Blade, Vampire Hunter. I was relieved that Marvel superheroes could get big-screen respect at last, but I really don’t care for vampire movies.

Whereas those of us inclined to men watching the film don’t get so much - we’re informed that Scott Speedman is attractive but I don’t really feel it myself. Although there is that scene in the first Underworld where two werewolves having a fight then turn into naked, buff men panting. Brrrrr.

For the cast…if the cast isn’t attractive then I’m not watching…good story or not.

I can’t recall any specific examples but I know I’ve looked forward to a movie coming out just so it’s commercials would cease.

I always look forward to that giant tub of popcorn showered with butter and lots of salt. Then when the light go out in the theater you can start shoveling fist fulls of it down your food hole like there is no tomorrow. Never mind the fact that half of it never actually makes it to your mouth. It just finds its way to your lap or the floor somewhere.

Seriously, where else in public can you go and it’s OK to act like such a pig?

The buffet.

I was once, many years ago, really excited to go see the Adam Sandler film The Waterboy
…because the first trailer for The Phantom Menace was attached to it. How young and innocent I was.

I do too. And I’m scarred for life by having seen Van Wilder for this reason…that movie contains the only non-gore scene to ever turn my stomach, it does.

Thing is, going to see a film for an actor IS going to see a film for the film, it just might not be a great reason to.

I watched Captain America just for his abs.

It was totally worth it.

That’s still looking forward to the film for something in the film.

I do agree that that made the film far more watchable than it would otherwise have been (although he spent far too much time in that film with his shirt on for my liking).