Recommend a movie not a lot of people have seen

In the recent thread “Quickly review the last four movies you’ve seen,” RealityChuck throws off a comment about a movie I’d never heard of before, Cashback, in a way that totally intrigued me – I not only added it to my Netflix queue, I put it at the top.

It’s a great freaking movie. Not a fancy, complicated, profound movie – but an entertaining and engrossing movie with a nice mix of characters that had me smiling throughout. And I never would have come across it in a million years if RealityChuck hadn’t just seen it.

So – let’s recommend some really cool movies that not everyone has already heard about.

My pick (other than Cashback) is The Dead Girl, a mystery, kind of – a drama, anyway – about a girl who gets killed, and some of the people whose lives intersected with hers or with other people’s. That sounds a bit cryptic, but the thing about unexpected delights is going into them without, um, expectations, right?

Seconds. It’s a very weird, trippy, b/w John Frankenheimer film from 1966 starring Rock Hudson. RH is the protagonist and is very entertaining in a role unusual for him. Then there’s the music by Jerry Goldsmith, not to mention great titles by Saul Bass. This movie will freak you out (in a good way).

Real Genius. Delightful romp about brilliant physics students at a prestigious California university who discover how much of a jerk their professor is. Features a very, very young Val Kilmer. One of the most quotable and hilarious movies I’ve ever seen.

I loved *The Dead Girl * and wrote a review of it on Netflix so my friends would see it too.

My recommendation:

Ponette, which is a French film about how a 4 year old girl copes with the death of her mother. The star is Victoire Thivisol, who you may have seen as Juliette Binoche’s daughter in Chocolat. The actress was actually 4 years old when she starred in this movie, but she is amazing and won a couple of awards for her performance. I don’t think I’ve ever been so moved by a film. Bring tissues.

The Execution of Private Slovak - about the only American to be shot for desertion in WWII. Made for TV, but it was fairly well done, starring Martin Sheehan I believe.

The Movie Hero starring Jeremy Sisto was a pleasant surprise. It’s about a guy who thinks his life is a movie and (of course) he’s the hero. He acquires a “sidekick” and a “love interest” (his therapist), and he’s chased by a mysterious man who might be “the bad guy” – all good movies need those things. I ran across it while channel surfing one day and couldn’t stop watching.

Hope and Glory

Local Hero

A Bronx Tale

The Quiet Earth. Offbeat Australian science fiction in which a man awakens to find himself apparently alone in a world empty of people.

Moonlight Mile is a great film. I can’t understand why it didn’t do better at the box office–oh, wait, that’s right: it was intelligent with complex characters portrayed well.

The Navigator: A Mediaeval Odyssey (1988). It doesn’t get much cooler, or weirder, than that.

I liked Cashback when I saw it a while back, but some of the nude scenes were oddly placed. But not the sort of odd that one of his other mentions, Tideland, is :wink:

My recommendation is The Quiet Room. A small girl who refuses to speak tells us about her parents’ impending divorce.

That was a New Zealand film, not an Australian one.

One of my all-time favorites. Moral struggles and quandaries are all wrestled with by males, and developing manhood is left to the hands of men, with no interfering feminine presence; masculinity is front and center. By the way, what the fuck happened to C’s mother in his later years? Not that I mind her absence, I’m just sayin’. And hey, remember the wisdom of giving a girl the button test…

Spatial Rift 47, ya gotta be kidding. Everybody’s seen Real Genius.

Dead Man is a fun film (in black and white) with Depp.
Waking Life is pretty much just a series of short monologues tied together by an overarching plot, but it’s tirppy and delicious.

Cunctator: Ha! Good one! Everyone knows Australia is IN New Zealand!

Twickster: You might check out Last Night, a Canadian film by Don McKellar. (I think I first heard about it here on the Dope.)

It does something that I almost always enjoy, which is to examine what would happen if the actual world we live in were changed by one material fact, but otherwise left intact. (Other works to do this include the movie Touch and Kafka’s The Metamorphosis.) In this case, the scenario is “What if everyone knew the world were going to end in a few weeks?” It doesn’t go into why the world is ending; the movie is not about a struggle for survival, but about how people choose to spend time when they know with certainty that time is limited. Very interesting movie. Also it stars the fetching Sandra Oh, of Sideways and Grey’s Anatomy.

Primer, a very-small-budget ($7K) film sci-fi/thriller that won the Sundance Grand Jury prize back in 2004. Really, really difficult to follow (at least for me) but intriguing and intense at the same time. How confusing? See this timeline. Although it’s classified as sci-fi, don’t let that scare you off, it’s about as far from what you’d think “sci-fi” is as can be.

The Long Good Friday - an English mob boss finds his world torn apart (literally, by mysterious bombings) as he tries to go legit.

My favorite movie is Snatch. Brad Pitt, Jason Statham, Vinnie Jones, Guy Ritchie directed.

Pretty well known names. Yet whenever I mention it, no one has heard of it, let alone watched it. (Well, ok a couple of people, but not too many.) I just don’t get it.

Was this movie ever released theatrically? I saw it many years ago on TV and thought it was a terrific movie.

eta: an Irish friend recommends “Once”. Never heard of it, he says it’s very good.

Le Dernier Combat == French post apocalyptic film. Very odd, well-dome, and not a single word of dialogue.
Creator – Peter O’Toole plays a Nobel Laureate who’s tring to clone his dead wife. As far from the usual cliches about cloning as you can get. Well-written, witty, no special effects, and a cast that includes Mariel Hemingway, David Ogden Stiers, Virginia Madsen, and Vincent Spano.
The Adventures of Mark Twain – Will Vinton’s feature-length claymation epic covers one of my favorite topics – Mark Twain’s writings. Includes “The Celebrated Jumping Froog of Calaveras County”, “Captain Stormfield’s visit to Heaven”, “The Mysterious Stranger”, and parts of his “Adam and Eve” works. Some of it’s hilarious, and some is surprisingly moving. With James Whitmore as Mark Twain.
Mirage – the dark brother of the upbeat Charade, with the same director (Stanley Donen), scripter (Peter Stone) , and some of the same cast (Walter Matthau, George Kennedy). But rarely seen. I don’t even know if it’s available on video. Gregory Peck stars as a man who finds himself in a building during a power blackout. He follows a woman down into several evels of sub-basement, but loses her. He finds that he has amnesia and can’t remember who he is. When he returns to the building, he can’t find the stairs to the basement, or his office, or any sub-basements. But people are tying to kill him.

Wilby Wonderful is a beautiful film about how a small island town handles scandal and non-natives. It also has Sandra Oh showing us what Christina Yang would be like if she became a realtor instead of a doctor.