Recommend me some good punk music

Okay, that should read Thee Michelle Gunn Elephant, and it was kuroashi, not sven. not enough sleep, too much coffee.
Gabba Gabba Oy!

Ok, for a change of pace, how about some really bad punk bands?

Green Jello

DI

Gwar

Sex Pistols (a couple of good songs, the rest is utterly forgettable)

Dead Kennedys (cool name, cool shirts, but please)

And pezpunk, no I haven’t heard any new Bad Religion. I think the last album we bought was the All Ages compilation (or was it All Access?).

PS- although the Jam and the Who are strong influences for most punk bands, they are not punk.

How about some crusty anarchist collective punk, a la Crass?

– CH

There always the Repo Man soundtrack for a good overall spread. Some non-punk stuff on there though…

Why have the Buzzcocks not been mentioned yet? I mean, that’s like criminally negligent to have forgetten them for so long. For shame, people!

And EJsGirl, calling the DKs “Bad Punk” is, like… um… something you don’t hear every day.

I really don’t like punk, but I do like Bad Religion. So listen to them.

(In the same way I don’t like rap, but I like NWA. I don’t like Anime, but I like Dragonball.)

Slowly he hits the ‘Page Down’, no one has mentioned them yet…argh! Semp jut mentioned them. D’oh! Buzzcocks, yes.

Also Liliput was an all-girl band from Switzerland or somewhere over there that was pretty good.

Stiff Records had a bunch of stuff back then-Ian Dury and the Blockheads(Sex & Drugs & rock and roll), Damned, Wreckless Eric, and others. I bet they have a compilation out by now.

Try L7’s Smell the Magic or Bricks are Heavy. The former is more fierce while the latter is more produced. Don’t worry about that, though, Butch Vig was at the helm. Aside from that, I got some wackier punk you could try.

Le Tigre’s self-titled album is punk, but they’re out there, man. They got drum machines and go-go organs goin’ on in some of their tracks. And to say they’re concerned about feminist issues is a severe understatement. They kind of represent the line where punk ends and genres that end in -core begin.

Brassy is punk and with a hip-hop kick to it. The lead singer is Jon Spencer’s big sister Muffin Spencer. Might be too funky for punk purists, but they’re no joke, my friend…

And what the hell, pick up Let’s Knife by Shonen Knife just to hear girls with thick Japanese accents grind out dense Ramone-ian punk chords while singing about cute kittens dancing in space.

HERESY! HE-RE-SY!

Shellac. Shellac. Shellac. You will poop on yourself.

Trans Am.

Unrest.

The Pixies’ first album (Surfer Rosa).

Bad Religion sucks. Or at least they did the last time I heard them.

Dead Kennedys had their moments. That is all a fan can ask. You can’t tell me that “Kill the Poor” and “Holiday in Cambodia” weren’t massively clever. “Efficiency and progress is ours once more, now that we have the neutron bomb.”

Blonde Redhead can hit it just right sometimes.

Japanese band called There is a Light That Never Goes Out kicks my ass.

Damn. I was afraid I got that wrong, but couldn’t find my dictionary. How can I continue to live this way?:frowning:

I think maybe he has to grant punk bands favors one the day of his daughter’s wedding.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I don’t like music that really sucks, but I like Ricky Martin, for some bizarre reason.

From the context, I’m guessing this is a recommendation, or else they have discovered the elusive “brown note”.

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations, all. I’ll have to check some of it out next time I’m at the music store (yeah, there’s mp3s, but that seems so unsupportive)

Some good suggestions already made. Check out the Decline and Fall of Western Civilization for the classics.

Don’t forget the Texas bands:
The Dicks and later incarnation Sister Double Happiness
Really Red
Millions of Dead Cops (first album)
Butthole Surfers

Two LA bands that have been missed earlier in the thread
Minutemen
Husker du

For a classic, do not miss any DOA

For the English stuff, someone has already mentioned Subhumans (from the cradle to the grave) and I would add the Poisen Girls.

Wow. Judging by the number of bands listed that I like, I’m really into punk. I honestly had no idea.

Gotta check out The Minutemen’s “Double Nickels on the Dime” and “What Makes a Man Start Fires?”, Husker Du’s “Zen Arcade” and “New Day Rising”, and the Butthole Surfer’s “Rembrant Pussyhorse”

If you want something more recent, try The Oblivians “Soul Food” and “…Play 9 Songs with Mr. Quintron”. They don’t call themselves punk, but one listen to their cover of “Vietnam War Blues” let’s you know where they’re coming from.

Let’s see…I’m trying to stick to bands that haven’t already been mentioned, but before that, I feel a need to say Misfits! Ramones! Minor Threat! Dead Kennedys!

Now, check out:
The Exploited
D.I. (not to be confused with…)
D.R.I.
The Muffs
Suicidal Tendencies (they grew out of punk and into metal and funk after their first couple albums, but all that is good too)
The Meatmen
M.O.D. (which was an offshoot of…)
S.O.D. (which was an offshoot of Anthrax)
The Beastie Boys. From before License To Ill. Check out a cd called “Some Old Bullshit”

This is one of my favorite topics. Thanks.

I really like Rancid. Especially And Out Come the Wolves and Life Won’t Wait. Shelter’s Mantra disk is also refreshing.

NP: Moonspell - Irreligious

Right on, I love MDC! I missed your post the first time. Do you have any idea how long I searched for the mp3 of Skateboards From Hell? I must have been looking hard for that thing for six months. Finally found it though. :slight_smile:

Some of my faves (in my cd/MP3 collection)

MDC
Dr. Know
AFI
Lagwagon (if you wanted to get pop styled stuff)
NOFX
The Accused
Descendants (and to a lesser degree All)
Dead Kennedies
Circle Jerks
Black Flag
7 Seconds
Minor Threat
Ramones
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (for awesome covers)
The Vandals
X
Eyes
Avengers
Rhino 39
Randoms
dils
Weirdos
deadbeats
Cough Flambeau
Headcoats/Headcoatees
Straw Dogs
Prisonshake
Aggression
Bad Brains
Misfits/Samhain
Rancid

Just a sampling…

If you want some MP3 samples of some of these bands talk to me perhaps i can point you in the right direction of where to find promotional stuff.

WHat I meant was the Dead Kennedys and Couch Flambeau

Damn lack of an edit feature!

Also I did forget to mention Bad Religion DRI and a few others…

Wow, I didn’t know that Couch Flambeau was known outside of Wisconsin. Mmm… The Zoo Is Cool…