Recommend some Dance Music for my wife!

Forgot one.

Another one to try - Squirrel Nut Zippers: Hell

How did I miss Footloose?

Jughead - Prince & the New Power Generation

Another three of my recent favorites.

Normally I’d pick songs based on type of dancing desired leaning towards songs popular when the listener was 20-25.

Here, I’ll just list some dance songs I like. First, you could actually dance to them. I don’t know the latest songs, except occasionally when the group has been around for yonks. In no order,

Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right (To Party)
Elvis Presley - Now and Then (There’s a Fool)
Ariana Grande - Havana
The Clash - Should I Stay or Should I Go
Aha - Take On Me
Tom Waits - Anywhere I Lay My Head
Frank Sinatra - As Time Goes By
Avicci - Wake Me Up
The Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
Green Day - Basket Case
Santana - Black Magic Woman
Violent Femmes - Blister In The Sun
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Doors - Love Me Two Times
Blue Cantrell - Breathe
Anthrax - Bring Tha Noise
Zoot Suit Riot - Brown Derby Jump
Offspring - Come Out And Play
Pulp - Common People
Elastica - Connection
Quiet Riot - Cum Feel The Noise
Pixies - Debaser
Journey - Don’t Stop Believin’
Faithless - Drifting Away
Cake - Frank Sinatra
Black Crowes - Hard To Handle
Outcast - Hey Ya
Spirit of the West - Home For A Rest
Proclaimers - 500 Miles
Billy Joel - It’s Still Rock And Roll
The Cars - Just What I Needed
Rage… - Killing In The Name
James - Laid
Madonna - Like A Prayer
Ricky Martin - Vida Loca
Juliette Alize - Mademoiselle
Sergio Mendes - Mas Que Nada
Men At Work - Down Under
Weezer - My Name Is Jonas
Bob Seger - Old Time Rock n Roll
CCR - Proud Mary
Adele - Rollin In The Deep
Pogues - Sally McLenanne
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Blur - Song 2
Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life
Thalia - Sube, sube
Rodolfo - Tabaco y Ron
Toto - Africa

Should be enough to start…

“Come Dancing” - The Kinks

The lyrics are easy to remember! :wink:

Thanks again, everyone. So at this point it looks like the going will be a bit slower here on out, which I’ll explain after sharing these new additions to the playlist:

Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina
Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5
Sir Mix-a-Lot - Baby Got Back
Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)
Backstreet Boys - Larger Than Life

And these, which did not make the playlist:

B-52s - Love Shack
Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day
Kenny Loggins - Footloose
Labelle - Lady Marmalade
Michael Sembello - Maniac
Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok
Re-Flex - The Politics of Dancing
Shanguy - King of the Jungle
Taylor Dayne - Tell It To My Heart
Tone Loc - Wild Thing
Walk The Moon - Shut Up And Dance
Звонкий - Голоса (Denis First & Reznikov Remix)

As you can see, not a lot of new additions, nor all that many new tracks attempted overall. After my last update, I decided to play through the existing playlist once or twice before trying anything new, and when I did I put all of the above songs in the queue. While this was pretty much the same thing I had done previously when introducing new candidates for the playlist, this time didn’t go as well as before.

It started out well enough, with Funky Cold Medina and Mambo No. 5 both being immediate hits, the latter of which she said reminded her of her 18th birthday party. But then, after several consecutive skips, she started to be noticeably bothered and exclaimed “Dahnyshka! What happened to all of the good music?”

After that, there were at least two more skips, but when “Another Brick In The Wall” came on she said she liked that (to which I had a minor celebration - Hooray! She likes Pink Floyd!) and then the run of new songs finished with Backstreet Boys, which also met her approval, before returning to the regular program.

The next day, she made a point of asking me to play the good songs, and when I protested, she just said “You know what I like.”

So while I still plan on adding more, the days of 17-song runs of untested material appear to be over. Overall it’s been a good time and I’ve greatly appreciated all of the suggestions, but it will probably be a while before I make any more updates.

I am reading (paused for some months) The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg and he mentions the music hit “Hey Ya”. You might want to try this method, by adding one song at a time to the approved list and see if it passes muster. This is closer to how radio stations introduce new songs.

Even with my favorite bands, I find it difficult to listen to a new album all at once. Too many differences, especially as some of the bands are continually trying something new. For example, when I first listened to them, I hated “Chemicals” by Halestorm, and also “Don’t Stop” by Nothing More. They have both grown on me and I certainly don’t skip them if I listen to the albums.

Thus, they needed to get people used to its difference by sandwiching it between two sticky songs such as ‘Breathe’ by Blu Cantrell (a ‘sticky’ song is one where there is no station change during its playing). That way, people were ‘softened up’ to the song, allowing it to grow on them.

Looks like nobody’s mentioned Harry Belafonte. “Jump in the Line”:

How about the original version as covered by Xavier Cugat?

Blondie:

“Rapture”

“Heart of Glass”

“Call Me”

Yes, that is pretty much what I have in mind going forward, sprinkling a new track or three throughout the entire playlist rather than dumping an entire double-album’s worth all at once. As a matter of fact, the last couple of songs I’ve attempted to add were presented this way, and while they were both turned down, it was done without any complaint.

You had Poker Face and Just Dance (which I’m amazed she didn’t like.). Did you try Bad Romance?

I can’t quite tell if she likes funk-inspired bands. Have you tried any of the Red Hot Chili Peppers? Aeroplane, Go Robot, are two that immediately come to mind.

This might be strange, but the same guys who did the Sopranos theme, Alabama 3, did a whole lot of other music that might work. Think gospel and country/western mixed with house music.

Ignore the laughably sexist videos, but Alex Gaudino’s Destination Calabria, and Benny Benassi’s cover of Satisfaction, are very danceable, and from the period near where I think you’re finding many of your successes.

@Snowboarder_Bo in his deepest stupor, has forgotten more about music than I’ll learn in a dozen lifetimes. Give him a touch more to work with, and I think he could really expand your playlist.

It is taking quite a bit to not make, “Now iz time for hard baaas,” jokes.

Anyone mention the KLF yet? What Time Is Love, Justified and Ancient, 3AM Eternal: all might work.

Do watch those videos. Not a lot in 1990-1991 looked like what those two got up to.