Recovering from gastric flu: recommend me some recipes.

So, I’m just at the tail-end of a very nasty bout of gastric flu, and I’m starting to get my appetite back, but I’m not sure what I can eat. It needs to be fairly bland, as my stomach’s still pretty sensitive, but also nourishing, to replace some of the nutrients I’ve lost over the last few days (along with half a stone in weight). Oh, and it needs to be easy to prepare, as I still don’t have much energy!

So, bearing all that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions? All ideas greatly appreciated!

Some of the stuff I go for in that situation:

• Mashed potatoes with a bit of butter (If you can be arsed, mashing some carrots in along with the taters gives added nutrients. Boiled carrots in general works well for me no matter what state my stomach is in.)

• Lots and lots of plain yoghurt, with some honey on top. Since you’ve lost weight, full-fat or Greek yoghurt is a good choice, plus the bacteria will be good for your stomach.

• Macaroni with scrambled eggs mixed in. Easily digested, and as a friend of mine puts it, easily upchucked too if needed.

• Porridge, preferrably oatmeal.

I hope your poor belly has a quick recovery.

I’ve always heard the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) recommended, and per that link, some recommend yogurt for protein and (assuming you grab the “live cultures” variety) live beneficial bacteria to recolonize your intestines. If you don’t want yogurt, something like tofu or protein powder is needed.

I’ll keep this one in mind for when winter vomiting disease hits.

Sleepytime Tea, put out by Celestial Seasonings, will not only relax you, but it’s very comforting to the tummy. It doesn’t have caffeine in it (obviously), but it does have things like chamomile and spearmint. It tastes very nice, especially with some honey.

If you can handle milk, you might be able to drink Instant Breakfast or a weight loss shake. There’s all sorts of nutrients in those things, though I wouldn’t want to live on them forever.

If you can tolerate canned soup, I like veggie beef or chicken, with a handful of rice or lentils thrown in, and then cooked until the rice or lentils are done. This gives a bit of fiber, which you probably need right now.

I’ll second the porridge suggestion. I usually go for oatmeal or cream of rice or wheat.

I cannot stomach yogurt in any fashion, but I have found some chewtabs that contain the live culture, and they help a lot.

I have IBS, so I have more experience in this matter than I really want.

I make this extremely simple egg-drop soup when I have an icky tummy:

Bring some canned low-fat chicken stock to a boil in the microwave. While this is happening, beat an egg or two until it’s well blended. Once the stock is boiling, carefully remove it from the microwave, and slowly stir the beaten egg into it. It’ll be cooked instantly, forming tender, shreddy curds in the soup. It’s easy to digest and comforting.

Same here. When I have a bad flare-up I eat a lot of mashed potatoes, plain chicken, and macaroni and cheese.

Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie from one of the Moosewood Cookbooks. Layered (bottom to top) tofu/walnuts, thick brown mushroom gravy, chunky mashed spuds. After my Aunt had had major surgery to remove an anurism, I brought some to her house. She said that that was the first thing she had felt like eating since the operation. If it sounds like something you’d like, I’ll reply with the recipe.

Oooh, yes please Hazle! Sounds very interesting.

Went for plain mince and potatoes last night - the sort of thing my grandma used to make (in fact, the last time I’d had it was probably when I was at school and would go to hers for a meal afterwards). It was tasty and filling enough, and I kept it down. Yay for digestible food!

Tonight I’m trying fishcakes with potato wedges (when ill I turn to potatoes for solace, I think it’s the Irish in me). Normally I do my wedges spicy, with garlic and chilli, but I’m leaving them plain for tonight.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Shepherd’s Pie (from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant)
4 Large Servings

Tofu Layer
1 cake tofu, frozen, thawed, and shredded
1 large onion, chopped
2 T vegetable oil
¼ t thyme
½ t ground coriander seeds
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
½ c walnuts, toasted and chopped
Juice of ½ lemon (about 1 T)
1-2 T tamari soy sauce to taste

Potato Layer
4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 T butter or margarine
½ c milk
Salt to taste

Mushroom Gravy
2 T vegetable oil
½ lb. mushrooms, sliced
3 T tamari soy sauce
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ c hot potato water
2 T cornstarch dissolved in ½ c water

Start the freeze-thaw tofu procedure at least the day before.

For the tofu layer, sauté the chopped onions in the oil with the thyme, coriander, and black pepper until the onions are translucent. Stir in the walnuts and shredded tofu until heated through, and then stir in lemon juice and soy sauce. Remove from heat.

Boil potatoes until soft. Drain (don’t forget to save the water for the gravy!) Mash the potatoes with the butter and milk. Salt to taste.

For the gravy, heat the oil in a skillet and stir in the mushrooms, soy sauce and black pepper. Stir occasionally until mushrooms are tender. Add 1 ½ c of the potato water and bring to a boil. Slowly stir in cornstarch mixture and cook at a low boil, continuing to stir until the gravy is clear and thick.

Oil a 9” square casserole dish or use a 10” round cast-iron skillet. Layer the tofu mixture, then the mushroom gravy, and then the mashed potatoes. Dot the top with butter or margarine. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the top becomes golden.

My notes:

I omit the tofu, butter and cooking oil (use a cooking spray) to take the calorie count way down. Calories will come down to 350 per serving.

When I get sick and lose my appetite, I can always stomach Campbell’s Chunky Chicken soup. Plus, very easy. :slight_smile:

My last bout of feeling gross, I ate a lot of baby digestive biscuits (arrowroot biscuits). I also drank a lot of watered-down cranberry juice.