red ghost

At least one of you is kidding, right?

The only decent thing to put on eggs is chile.

I was kidding about the peanut butter, although I wouldn’t be surprised if Sauron did fancy that.

He wasn’t kidding about the ketchup though. Yum, yum! But the ultimate egg topping is… Curry! Preferably tomato-based, vegetarian curry, although lamb is okay too.

This should really be over in the French Toast Toppings thread. There’s a whole lot of “more disgusting than thou” going on over there.

I’m just depressed that I found this thread too late to really jump in the middle of the cute but bloodthirsty battle between ya’ll.

No, Im not from the south…I just like the word ya’ll today.

What would be the modern urban legend form of the Red Ghost story? A pizza delivery truck with the body of a former employee strapped on top…and a skittish driver that won’t make his deliveries for fear of getting arrested?

And just WHAT is wrong with peanut butter on toast?

(Actually, I’ve never tried that, but I’m just being contrary. You should appreciate that, Eris.)

Ketchup on eggs is a plot from the devil.

Long live dead men on horses OR camels! (So to speak.)

Peanut butter on toast is fine. It’s when you add eggs that it becomes something worthy of a good hurl.

Actually, I really like peanut butter on toast.

And I appreciate contrariness in myself, but not in others. Oh, there’s a word for that, isn’t there… one that starts with a “b”…

Vunicorn - You didn’t have to tell me you aren’t from the South. Number one, you did not capitalize “South” as any good Southerner knows is proper. Number two, the word is “y’all” - a contraction of “you” and “all”. I’m headed over to the “pet peeves” thread, look for me under “fake Southern accents”. Pass tha grits ‘n’ gravy, momma.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you will suck forever.

Everyone seems to take at face value the story from the state guide book. Marks from leather straps that held a corpse to the back of the camel.
Oh yeah, everyone has seen those before.

The version that I heard was that after the camel cavelry experiment failed or lost funding, the camels were just turned loose. Sighting an unfamilar animal, uneducated 19th century pioneers thought the CAMELS were ghosts, and panicked. Not so strange, when you remember that there were few zoos or circuses in America at the time. And books usually did not have photos. Given a dark night, and a curious camel moving quietly into the firelight–yeah, some newly arrive immigrant mope [like my ancestors] might think it was a ghost. Your “sources” [insert superior sneer here] are fusing a myth [dead man on horse] with historically verifyable fact.Fie on the two of you.

JKB–are you sure you’re not getting the camels in the US story mixed up with the legend of El Cid, the Spanish hero? After El Cid died, his men strapped him to his horse and set him in front of the army. The Moors believed that he had come back from the dead, and were routed by the Spanish.

BTW, this story is probably not true, but just part of the legend of El Cid.

Daniel, a dead guy found tied to a horse in the late 19th century is not “historically verifyable?” Of course not. Such a thing would never be documented. And even if it was, the Illuminati would never allow such a document to be viewed by the general public.

Anyway, here’s a web site that presents the story in more detail. http://www.simmons.edu/~jacobs/legend.html Pretty true to the Arizona Highways story. The main difference being that AZ Hwys doesn’t mention that the body eventually became detached (although it doesn’t mention that the body did NOT become detached either).

I probably wasn’t clear about it before, but I was trying to determine whether the story was being presented as fact or fiction. My main objective was to discuss the story, true or not. The thing that made me think that the legend is presented as fact is that the articles give dates and, in the case of the AZ Hwys article, IIRC, names. However, since I’m still not quite clear as to how the story is being presented, I’ll contact the research department at Arizona Highways with two questions: 1) Is the Red Ghost story presented as fact or fiction? 2) If fact, what are your sources? Incidentally, at least one source is given on the last page of the aforementioned web site.

Also, daniel, if you had done any checking, you would see that my “source,” Arizona Highways, is a reputable periodical providing readers with articles on Arizona history, nature, events, etc. i.e. it ain’t the Weekly World News. And your source would be …? Fie this.

“I wept because I had no shoes, then I met a man with no feet. So I took his shoes” - Dave Barry

“Arizona Highways” is a publication dedicated to promoting tourism in Arizona–a dull and dusty place full of dull and dusty people. You think those mopes are going to research anything that makes the place sound all folksy and romantic? As for the sources for camel cavalry, check out any good history of the US Army Cavalry.

daniel, you’ve obviously never been to Arizona, except for maybe Yuma or - our favorite source of jokes - Gila Bend. Either that, or you just prefer to sit around on your butt rather than going out and having a good time. In any case, I’ve contacted Arizona Highways asking the aforementioned questions. I’ll post what I find out when I hear from them, including any references cited. Personally, I don’t see what’s so damn unbelievable about a dead guy being tied to a camel, especially given the other strange things that have happened and still happen in this state.

“I wept because I had no shoes, then I met a man with no feet. So I took his shoes” - Dave Barry

people: I have re-read a book of old English folklore, and what do you think I found? A story about a highwayman [read-armed robber] that tied himself to the saddle after being wounded by the local law [to avoid falling off if he passed out] and died. Allegedly, he was seen for years afterwards, still tied to the horse> Co-incidence?

Strain, I went to that site you posted on camels and am curious about a line from the “story”. Quote-“Many Arabians roamed through Texas, California, and Arizona.” Huh?

Still haven’t heard from AZ Highways. Guess I could go to the library to research the “true or false” aspect of the legend, but my curiosity isn’t strong enough and I hardly find the likes of daniel to be worth going through any special effort for. To get to your question, popokis, “Arabian” evidentally refers to a type of camel. (Was that your question?)