"Reign: the Conqueror" : impressions from week 1

I just got around to watching the first weeks worth of episodes of this new show on Cartoon Network, and I must say I am impressed.
It is the story of Alexander the great, with designs by the guy who did Aeon Flux. I definitely liked the style of the show, and the story is pretty interesting- and sticking surprisingly close to what I know of history and the legends surrounding the guy.
Anybody else like it? Not like it?

Uh, NO F$#@ING WAY! (In a good way.)

grendel72, thanks for the heads-up. I had no idea that this had premiered, or was even going to air on the Cartoon Network. I am a huge fan of Peter Chung and Aeon Flux, and I believe this series has been in the works for over a decade now.

Straight from the horse’s mouth, the schedule is:
Feb. 17 12:00 a.m. God of Creation
Feb. 18 12:00 a.m. Secret of Samotrace
Feb. 19 12:00 a.m. Gordian Knot
Feb. 20 12:00 a.m. Here Shall Stand Alexandria
Feb. 24 12:00 a.m. Oracle of Ammon
Feb. 25 12:00 a.m. Persia Shall Fall
Feb. 26 12:00 a.m. Unification Before Division
Feb. 27 12:00 a.m. Vanquished Arise
March 03 12:00 a.m. Prophecy Comes To Pass
March 04 12:00 a.m. Prophecy Born This Day, A
March 05 12:00 a.m. Thunder of Battle
March 06 12:00 a.m. Failure of Diplomacy, A
March 10 12:00 a.m. Ascension to the Throne
March 11 12:00 a.m. God of Creation
March 12 12:00 a.m. Secret of Samotrace
March 13 12:00 a.m. Gordian Knot
March 17 12:00 a.m. Here Shall Stand Alexandria
March 18 12:00 a.m. Oracle of Ammon
March 19 12:00 a.m. Persia Shall Fall
March 20 12:00 a.m. Unification Before Division

It looks like “A Prophecy Born this Day” is the first episode (I’ve missed 4 installments already), and the cycle of 11 episodes starts over on March 4.

Thank you, I’ll certainly be watching it from now on.

Things that I’ve thought were cool so far in the show:
They actually use the legend of Bucephalus being a man-eating horse, although I never heard of any legends portraying it as a cyborg horse.
The action is incredible, although much more violent than anything else the Cartoon Network airs- people get cut in half and decapitated… Hell, when you throw in all of the implied kinkiness it is pretty surprising that this show is being aired anywhere, let alone on CN.
The intrigue and background politics are fascinating, although still pretty shadowy.

Ok, I saw the first episode, but wasn’t p[aying much attention. From the commercials it hadn’t looked good at all, but I admit that it was pretty interesting once I was watching. Unfortunately, I missed everying after that first episode. Anyone care to fill in quick details so I can pick it up next week?

Ep 1: Alexander comes of age and is sent to battle. He tames the legendary man-eating horse Bucephalus, and shows up at the battlefield at the last minute while Lord Attalus attempts to sway King Phillip against the young prince.
Ep 2: Alexander ignores his father’s orders on the battlefield, following his own strategy. The Macedonian armies defeat their enemies, and the soldiers believe the victory is entirely due to Alexander’s actions.
Later, Attalus tries to turn the king away from his wife, Olympas (he tells the king that she is sleeping with Alexander, more or less) and presents his daughter Euridice to the king as a new bride.
Alexander asks his father if he is divorcing his mother, and storms out of the palace when he gets an answer.
Ep 3: Alexander and a loyal crew disguise themselves as slaves to sneak into Persia, so as to prevent an alliance. One of Alexander’s crew is capture and strung up between buildings with a freaky giant blade thingy coming at him. Alexander runs into king Darius while in disguise and sees the hanging garden, before rescuing the guy who was strung up.
Ep 4: King Phillip plans to introduce his new bride and son to the masses. Meanwhile, Aristotle is confronted by the Pythagoreans- and sees Plato’s ghost. King Phillip plans to unveil a statue placing himself in the pantheon. Meanwhile Euridice seems to be going mad after giving birth, but Olympas seems to be responsible for it, using her snake mojo against her enemies.
The statue is unveiled just as Alexander returns home, but catastrophe strikes and the statue crumbles- only to reveal a robotic archer (very similar to the things Aristotle was working on) which fires an arrow at him. Alexander pushes his father out of the way of the arrow, but an assassin appears on stage and kills the king, before being killed by Alexander. The assassin was drugged, using an herb Aristotle claims is used by the snake cult Olympas belongs to. And why did Alexander hesitate when the assassin appeared?

That’s the story so far…