Religious Pilgrims vs. The Airport

Might have to start carrying stink bombs in the glove box. Gets attention and is non-lethal :slight_smile:

You do realize I was joking, right?

Robodude

Perhaps you and I have a different Bible. Mine makes it quite clear that it is acceptable to massacre entire cities for no reason other than their religion differs from yours. And since “Love God” comes before “Love your neighbor”, it does follow that “Love your neighbor” is secondary to doing the will of God.

Broomstick

Well, Jesus rather violently threw the merchants out of the temple. If someone sincerely believes that an Indiana airport is a sacred location ( :confused: ), and that the presence of people not of their religion profanes it, is it not consist with the example of Jesus to obstruct their use of the airport?

kabbes

He said “corollary” not “converse”. And the converse of “All Christians are nice” would be “All non-nice people are non-Christian”.

You ARE still joking, aren’t you, The Ryan?

On the off chance that you’re not, you might want to check into a concept called “context.” For example, your first allusion to the Bible comes from the Old Testament. When Jesus was born, He introduced a new covenant and did away with the old “eye for an eye” retribution as seen in the Old Testament. (For what it’s worth, I personally have a hard time understanding God’s stance on things in the Old Testament.)

In your second reference, again, the concept of “context” would help. Or even just reading the event you discuss as described in the Bible would probably throw some light on the subject. Jesus threw moneychangers out of the temple, because they were engaging in an act that wasn’t appropriate for the location – i.e., they were using a place of worship as a shop/bank. I seriously doubt that Jesus would attempt to throw people out of an airport for wanting to get on a plane. He might get upset if a pilot attempted to land an airplane in a church, though.

I thought he was the patron saint of chimpanzee-fuckers. I always get my patron saints muddled up.

When religious zealots are on a pilgramage in Indiana and call you a witch out of pure spite, you wish that God has a sardonic sense of humour and would manifest a torrent of horse shit from the sky.

OK Ryan you got me. Strictly, the converse should be as you said. But of course syntactically the sentences are the same and I was striving for consistency with what goboy actually said rather than strict accuracy.

As for “corollary” vs “converse” - I assumed that goboy simply used the wrong word, sense I don’t see how you can extrapolate a non-converse corollary from that simple logical phrase.

pan

Sauron: my point is that anyone, no matter what their beliefs, can find something in the Bible to support their views. That’s the beauty of inconsistent axioms; you can use them to prove anything you want. Saying “I don’t see this in the Bible” is silly because everything is in the Bible. If you look hard enough.

kabbes: actually, I screwed up. What I gave was the contrapostive. The converse is actually what goboy gave as the corollary (and “corollary” just means “something that I think is related to this statement”, so it can be pretty much anything you want).

Or turn their water supply into an assload of flies, or something like that. But then, that’s just me.
I tend to be pretty intolerant of the intolerant myself.

As for the Chimp Fuckers(dingdingding: Band name!)
Thei patron saint was Tarzan, right?

b.