Remembering the author of "Conan the Barbarian"

Get yourself down to Texas, posthaste…

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/06/12/books.conanthebarbarian.ap/index.html

His adventure & fantasy stories are a favorite of mine.
But don’t overlook his humerous Westerns, either!

It wasn’t just Conan he wrote. I’ve got a shelf full of his works, and finally got around to reading one of his Breckenridge Elkins stories a couple of months ago. (Imagine Conan as a Texan with an offbeat sense of humor). Solomon Kane, Kull, other adventurers, and Lovecraftian horror-fantasy. nteresting stuff. And he did it all before the age of thirty.

They made a movie about him, The Whole Wide World, which I have yet to see:

The ending surprised Mrs. Plant, despite my telling her about Howard several times.

Here’s a collection of Howard’s humorous Westerns.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0803273541/qid=1150206428/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8187859-2944823?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Dang, now I’ve got to go to 2 places, Cross Plains and Portmeirion Hotel, in North Wales.

I love his stories as much as I love Tolkien. I didn’t know he wrote westerns, thanks for the tip!

Frontier and Pirate stories that were edited by REH and others to feature Conan as the protagonist.
Was it Black Vulmea’s Vengeance that is available as a pirate story and a Conan tale?

Somewhere in storage I have a 1974 anthology of humorous SF stories, Cosmic Laughter – including a hilarious Conan parody, “The Black Sorceror of the Black Castle,” by Andrew J. Offut. Look it up if you get a chance, it’s worth it. Especially the glossary at the end.

While it’s true that others did indeed re-edit some of Howard’s stories to make them Conan stories, I don’t think they did it to any of his westerns. (I’m not familiar with any non-Belit pirate stories). And, aside from one King Kull story that he rewrote into a Conan story, I don’t recal howard himself doing this. It was mainly for the deCamp/Carter Conan series, well after REH’s death.

There’s a frontier story where Conan and a young guy save the settlers from a Pict (Indian) uprising. There is a dog who dies with the young guy. I think Howard did that one. The Giant Chimmerian is wearing buckskins. :slight_smile:

Which King Kull was changed to Conan?
The one where King Conan has to wage war to regain his kingdom seems like Kull, particularly where a citizen uses his own death to trick the bad guy.

My father mentioned the movie and I said I planned to see it, and “don’t tell me anything about it”. So he says "Well, his mother dies and he commits suicide."I thought, you asshole, what part of don’t tell me anything about it confused you. Granted, he may have thought I knew his life story but I didn’t and I prefer to not know much about movies going in. :mad:

“Beyond the Black River”. The kid was named Balthus, the dog was Slasher.

“He was a man. I drink to his shade, and to the shade of the dog, who knew no fear. The heads of ten Picts shall pay for his, and seven heads for the dog.”

Cool.

It’s been done before.

*Then a silence came to the river,
A hush fell over the shore,
And Bohs that were brave departed,
And the Sniders squibed no more;
For the Bermans said
That a white man’s head
Must be paid for with heads five-score

There’s a widow in sleepy Chester
Who weeps for her only son;
There’s a grave on the Pabeng River,
A grave that the Bermans shun;
And there is Subader Prag Tewarri
Who tells how the work was done.*

Rudyard Kipling, The Grave of the Hundred Head

So Kipling stole from REH, the cowardly swine.

Issue #28 of Dark Horse’s Conan comic has a beutiful Kurt Busiek story that’s a tribute to REH.

Is that a current comic?

Yes–that issue came out about three weeks ago.