reprise is a bitch so just fucking ban her...

Isn’t it about time we all grew up a little bit people. It seems like if we don’t have a current troll to pick on then we are lost and have to turn on each other.

I would like to think - and already know from past experience - that when I make an “out of character” post on these boards people recognise the fact that something is “wrong” and offer their assistance. They know that something is wrong and in the moment just give of themselves absolutely.

In the time I have been on these boards, I have never seen an abitrary banning. Nor have I ever seen anyone who was just having a bad day/week and took it out on this board refused readmission.

The community which we create, we create collectively - I think it’s around about time that people stopped concentrating on the published “rules” and started thinking about the making this the kind of comunity they would be proud to belong to.

But that is only my 2 cents worth, and at current exchange rates, it isn’t worth much.

I agree fully… I think…

Somebody rag on you that I don’t know about?

Please stop this fucking train wreck. There has got to be some other grudge match we can play out with this bandwidth. One of you get off the cross. I pray someone else needs it more.

I ain’t trying to promulgate a train wreck- my last post in the other thread stated I thought she was trying to be conciliatory, that I was giving her the benefit of the doubt, and that I was done fighting her.

Then, I see this. I’m asking if she got chewed on by someone else I don’t know about, because it seems like she’s saying some things that might involve me, after I had been ready to declare peace.

If she really feels that bad, well, I still hold my position in the other thread, but am more than willing to apologize to her. In my time here on the boards, there is not a single instance where I have been the first one to be rude. This is deliberate on my part, and done with thought. A person might not have been rude to me, but rude all the same. If I take severe enough exception to it, I have gone to work. When I rip, I don’t do so lightly, and expect to not be taken lightly. I also don’t do so because I believe I’m in error. In other words, I believe my positons are defensible. However, if I percieve I have really hurt someone, as I was thinking might be the case here, I have come back with peace in my mouth. Not always, but more than have done so to me. So, although you might think ill of me, I believe I have made some effort to keep these boards a good place.

If your point is I’m pursuing this to the ground, yes, there is an element of that, as I’ve said previously. I am not happy with myself about it. But then, say there are a bunch of people making unfounded statements about you here.
And every time you open your mouth with something that relates to your position, or some fact, you are attacked, with flights of fancy, etc. You aren’t going to defend yourself?

I really don’t know what’s up with reprise. So, I asked. And if she’s that bad off, and if I had anything to do with it, I am ready to apologize.

reprise, I don’t think like you, I guess.
If your OP has anything to do with me, and our set-to in the other thread has upset you very badly, as the title to this thread suggests, I apologize.

Well, there are the occasional posters that some of us find just plain disagreeable and unlikable. These posters are usually identified by rash hotheadedness and MOLOSTER behavior.

Usually, I choose to ignore them. But every now and then they say something that just needs to be addressed, for the sake of decency.

And the link is to…?

Mystifiedly,

Redboss

God, I come across as so self-righteous sometimes! Only caught it as the preview screen disappeared. So, please disregard previous posting, and accept my apology.

What I meant to say was "maybe this is a private fight, and you don’t care if anyone else is involved. On the other hand I do have a feeling of belonging to a community here, the customs and mores of which I am still learning. If youse guys are involved in a situation I’d like to have the chance to pick up on the background of it.

But if it ain’t my business, that’s okay too."

embarrassedly,
Redboob

inor is talking about this thread. I’m not sure if something else is going on with reprise or if she’s talking about the same thing.

Reprise, I completely agree with this point. To quote George Costanza…“WE’RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY”. I’m not speaking about anyONE or any THREAD in particular (although I have read the thread in question, it gave me a migraine), but it seems that a lot of people just forget that at the other end of the line is a human being.

At some point can’t I, or you or anyone say “Geez, that hurt my feelings” without having a five page rant come back expounding on the glories of freedom of speech and “if you don’t want your feelings hurt don’t post,” and further explanation of how you’re a goat felcher.

Yes, it’s your right to be mean, and some people seem to beg for meanness…but it’s also your privelege to simply be CORDIAL for the love of Pete. I’ve apologized to people on this board more times than a nun with gas on a crowded subway platform, and it doesn’t make me any less of a person.

I’m not suggesting that we have to walk on eggshells around everyone, but it seems (and I’m guilty of it too) that sometimes posters are just sitting around WAITING for something to go off on.

When someone posts something that needs a hefty charbroil, go for it. Ignorance like racism and homophobia and sexism needs to be slapped around. But when someone gets under your skin because they don’t like the Sloppy Joes at The Salt and Pepper Diner on Lincoln, for chrissake, let it go, don’t you think?

jarbaby

Sheesh. It’s none of my business either, but I like Inor so I’m barging in. If this is in fact about the “Wildest Bill” thread, it’s actually on page 2.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=62803&pagenumber=2

If anybody cares.

I don’t see anybody in that thread talking about banning you, reprise. What’s your point–“reprise is a bitch so just fucking ban her…” Huh?

Eh, you barged into that other thread, you posted a “take your crap elsewhere, Inor” comment, along with a lot of other let’s-mix-it-up-in-the-Pit comments, and you expected him to just say, “Oh–okay”, and mosey off peacefully? You repeatedly discussed banning him.

And now you’re here in the Pit, asking piously, “Why can’t we all just learn to get along?” Sheesh.

(and if this ISN’T about the “Wildest Bill” thread, may I suggest, for future reference, that the next time you start a Pit thread you include a link, so the rest of us will know what in the WORLD you’re talking about.)

[sub]And FTR, Inor, you were WAY out of line in the other thread. Jeezum Crow. Time for meds or what? The only reason I didn’t post a “take your crap elsewhere” comment myself was because I had perfect faith in Ben’s ability to defend himself. Some people enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing, flaming for the sake of flaming–I sure hope you don’t turn out to be like that…[/sub]

[hijack]
I just think it’s funny that Lynn’s reason for not banning inor at the end of that thread was that she was under the influence of Nyquil!

Imagine the labeling… “Do not operate heavy machinery. Do not operate on people, yourself or others. Do not ban people from the SDMB…”
[/hijack]

K, DDG, point taken.

Learned- Not to make threats like that. Just do it if I’m going to do it.
(yes, still fiddling with meds- on the second brand, it’s a process;))

I will be more gentlemanly when torching someones ass.

I am disgusted by what happened- both by the fact that I wasn’t able to pull away, and by what I recieved-

Nobody has mentioned that I was accused of lying and being a troll, when neither was the case.

Nobody has mentioned that niether charge was backed up- yet I do not see said accuser being taken to task anywhere.

Nobody has mentioned that in a MPSIMS thread, for christs sake, that I started, there is a pit type post directed at me- So, I’m this awful Board abuser, but these other things can slide?

Except for you, DDG, no one has mentioned that I took more abuse than I gave- natural law- there was more of them than me, I had to ignore some of it, but it was there.

Nobody has mentioned that I stuck to facts and my position, while being attacked with inflammatory, made-up BS.

Nobody has mentioned, again, except for DDG, that except for the threats of violence (clearly NOT physical violence, despite Ben’s last pious post, again, an example of twisty whinery that I despise, and was cdalling him on in the very first comment about taking his face off the stove if he couldn’t stand the heat), All I did was defenc myself from every Tom, Dick and Harry who decided to pile on.
And yes, at least two of those I’ve seen do that before, and I believe they do it when they see a person on an unpopular side, so it’s an easy target for them- they jsut like to get a few cheap shots in- no balls on their own.

Clearly, reprise gets a little irrational at the end there, I contend it was there all along, just more subtle, and I contend that the other’s behaviour was not much better.
Fuck this, I’m bleah, this is stupid

I’ve asked Tuba to ban me, this morning.

I mailed her and Ben, telling him what I thought of his last post, which, btw, he mentions being within his rights to have me arrested- for threatening to flame the shit out of him? Any body who’s read any number of my posts- is’t it pretty clear that not only would it be ludicrous to track him down and hurt him over this, but that I don’t have the means to do so, even if I wanted to? Does anyone believe that had I the means, I would do so over two people I don’t even know? Who I simply admire on an elctronic message board? Because if you do believe that, you are more irrational than I have been portrayed as being.
While his mention of arrest is not so far-fetched.
So, who is threatening who?

Anyway, so I sent him a couple of mails, one telling him essentially what I jsut said, and another one clarifying a statement in the first one, where I had said that I suspected if it could be shown that he had had me arrested speciously, that it would probably come back to haunt him. The second mail clarified that I did not mean that I would comehaunt him, but that the legal system would. After this fiasco, I felt I needed to be crystal clear.

Tuba mailed me and said I was not automatically banned, that it was possible I was going to recieve a final warning, but that I could take off for a while, and in asking to be banned, I would not be leaving under disgrace.

I mailed back, re-iterating my request.
She was gracious, and I think I was too, in my mail to her.

That’s how matters stand. I dont’ know what will happen.

It’s been nice talking to some of you though, I will say that.

inor

'Course, when one says one is leaving, and doesn’t, people wonder. When one repeatedly says one is leaving, and repeatedly does not, people really wonder.

inor, friend, quit acting like an asshole. Take a deep breath and a couple days off to get some perspective. I know you aren’t the jerk you’ve been acting like lately.

But when one is loved, they will be deeply missed…
:frowning:
If you gotta go, inie, lots and lots of us will miss you.
Oh, grrrrrr! I wish I was back at school so I could stay online and read what happened. If I’m out of line for posting this, I’m sorry…

sniffle smooches

[sub]I wish I knew what’s going on…[/sub]

What’s going on is that Inor tried to intimidate me with violent threats, and when other people told him he was out of line, he blew them off and insulted them.

Check the “Wildest Bill” thread linked above, for details.

-Ben

The last couple of weeks there seem to have been a lot of “suicide by mods” posts.

I have already said in the other thread that I would prefer not to see inor banned.

We all have bad days, bad weeks etc. Some of us make the occasional post we aren’t really proud of.

We are a very vocal community and most of the time we manage to get along in spite of our passionately held differing viewpoints.

But no-one can seriously expect to make “ban me” posts and not be called on them. If any one of us wants to leaves these boards and doesn’t trust ourself not to make one more post, we have only to email an admin.

I don’t want to see inor leave these boards. I am, however, concerned about the number of members who seem to have made it their goal in the last couple of weeks to get banned. inor seems to have decided on that course - I would just like to know why.

I still do not want to see inor leave these boards.

This thread is going nowhere fast, please lock it.

thanks

There are two or more sides to every situation. I’m sorry you felt threatned by what inor said, but yes, it is just a figure of speech, a way of speaking. I am one of those that use it. Hell, me and my friend threaten to castrate guys with a limp french fry all the time. Would we ever do it? HELL NO!

Fuck it, I came here too last. Goddamm my luck… Wish I was here earlier.