Resident Alien, aka Quincy, E.T

When they show up in town that kid is going to go nuts. I can hardly wait.

I do hope they’re going to deal with the question of why the kid sees the true (alien) head. (But not the body; why?) They’ve now established that not all kids his age have that ability, so…?

We actually saw the scene where “Harry” takes on Harry’s shape. His body shrinks, he loses the smaller pair of arms, his tardigrade legs become human-like, and so forth until his body generally takes on human proportions. That’s how he’s able to fit into Harry’s clothes, drive a car, and so forth. The kid does see what “Harry’s” alien body truly looks like now - normal human proportions. That part is actual, physical, transformation. The rest of it, where “Harry” takes on human facial features, skin tone, hair, etc., is apparently…some sort of illusion (psychic?) that the kid can see through.

That was established in “Harry’s” internal monologue. One human in a million has a genetic quirk that lets them see through the disguise ability of “Harry’s” race. It’s just his bad luck that this small town has a kid with that mutation.

[“Harry”]This is bullshit![/“Harry”]

I actually think that if KidSnowflake saw Harry naked (in a swimsuit, etc) - he would see all of the alien features - his hands are alien, convenient for flipping him the bird, etc. Otherwise, you are correct that the transformation shrunk the alien down to otherwise human proportions.

‘We’ (the audience) get to see Harry both ways depending on the scene in question - I guess we have a quirk to - that is so cool.

We see his alien face in all reflections too. I wonder if that’s true of everybody in the show, or just a conceit for the audience’s sake.

I think the mechanics are something that we have to try to ignore for the sake of the comedy of it. (In the comics he was psychic and messed with people’s minds instead of changing his shape. And the one it didn’t work on was his nurse sidekick, who saw his face as a blur. But she rolled with it because Indians Got Spiritual Powers And Stuff.)

I do recall the transformation scene but not this part (about the genetic quirk)–guess I need to go back and watch again. Actually, that will be a pleasure!

\

Good question…

\

Very true, but it’s always appreciated (by most viewers, I think) when the writers/creators make an effort to make things consistent, even if they have to resort to ‘alien tech’ explanations.

It never occurred to me that it was anything but Harry-alien seeing himself as he really was, in his mind. A conceit, as you said. I really doubt someone’s gonna catch his reflection in something and see Harry-alien, because if it is, I won’t be able to stop myself from exclaiming, “That’s just STUPID!” at the TV. I dont’ see why that would work at all.

That was my thought originally, but then we’ve seen it so often, it seemed less a conceit and more a specific point being made. But yeah, it’s too easy to stumble on a reveal. Presumably openly being an alien is not where it’s going.

I think its so the audience can see ‘funny alien dancing’ or ‘funny alien puts on cowboy hat’ - neither of those scenes are as effective if its just Harry - it has to be the Alien doing ‘human things’.

Whiskey does improve the rational thought process!

BTW, I watched the first three episodes on SyFy’s app on my Amazon Firestick, which SyFy apparently streamed before they aired on the network. As of yesterday, the fourth episode wasn’t available; I think it airs on SyFy tonight. Does anyone know what SyFy is going to do with the streaming going forward - are episodes from now on going to be available after they air on the network, or were those first three a free taste, and do I now need a subscription to watch the rest of the series?

They only did that for episode 3.

The places he hangs out the most - a medical clinic and a bar - all have numerous shiny, reflective surfaces. Think about the reflective qualities of the lake he lives by and hangs out on.

If the bar has a mirror behind it like most places I’ve been to, he wouldn’t have lasted past the first day.

One thing I didn’t quite catch:

At the end of the first episode, he opens the casket, sniffs the guy’s face and determines that he had been poisoned. Since this had been a few days after the event and the corpse had presumably been washed and prepared, would there be any way to recognise the smell of poison?

I don’t think it was smell (he clearly got that wrong at the beginning of the episode) - but more looking at the throat/wounds and coming up with the next crazy thing to say.

well, I was half right anyway…

great cliffhanger as well…

Episode 4 certainly ended with a fun surprise. I notice there’s a big emphasis on First Nations characters and stories on this show.

I’m still figuring gout this firestick thing - how does one acquire this SyFy app?

The app is free to download. There are a couple of ways to get it.

1. I find it’s easier to do through the Amazon website on a laptop or tablet. Visit the Amazon website and search for “Syfy app.” Click on the first result. On the right side you’ll see a dropdown menu labeled “deliver to.” Choose the option that corresponds to your Fire stick.

2. Alternatively, you can do it all through the Fire stick. On the horizontal menu bar at the top of the home screen, navigate all the way left to the search function. Start entering “syfy app,” and results will start appearing below the virtual keypad. When “SyFy app” appears in the results, click on it and follow the instructions to download. In theory you should be able to use the voice commands (if you have a remote with that function) but I have not been able to get it to recognize “SyFy” when spoken aloud.

By the way, episode 4 was released for streaming on the app sometime yesterday. Still free with ads.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try tonight.