Resolved: Gorilla Glue IS The Shit!

Where does Shinola fit into this?

I bought Gorilla Glue to use in decorating my pumpkins for Halloween (I made a Trump pumpkin and a Pence pumpkin. The Pence one has a giant fly stuck in his hair, so you know it’s him).

Pepper Mill used the glue to put together her Halloween/Thanksgiving yard decoration. It works great! It’s holding even in the rain. As advertised.

I repaired some leather sandals using 3M Extra Strong Glue 3030, because that’s what I had lying around, and it seemed to work. Does anybody know anything about it?

What, you don’t know?

For that, try 5-minute epoxy.

A problem I have with gorilla glue is that it only lasts about 6 months after it has been opened. After that it turns solid in the bottle.

That was a great tip. But has there ever been an innocent video with so much “that’s what she said” and dirty sounding lines? “How to unclog an old caulk tube”?

I like the way you think – highly attuned to innuendo in all its many forms, and acutely aware that it lurks around every corner.

“Unclogging an old caulk tube” may very well be all that Jeffrey Toobin was doing …

I attempted boot repair using superglue and other glues over the years, none lasted long. Then, after roofing my log house, I tried this roofing caulk called Rainbuster 900 that’s used by professional roofers. It’s a flexible caulk like silicone, but it sticks like glue, and man, is it hard to remove it, from any surface it’s applied to. So far the boot sole I glued about 2 years ago is still glued. Thing is, you can’t buy it online, you have to go to a roofing supplier. I used this stuff a lot, so I hit that supplier whenever I’m in the area.

Amazon has it, single tubes in several different colors. Or packs of 24.

I gave that a shot. Epic fail. The magnets are too smooth and slick. Also, so strong, that when they ‘attack’ the metal (that’s the word!) the epoxy shatters. Vicious magnets. They’ll take the skin right off you. I use them to hang trailer hitch receivers to the metal garage beam.

I agree with the OP. I’ve used GG for several tricky applications and it’s been fantastic.

Just have to keep in mind that it expands.

Well, it stuck the magnets to the plexi, but I have little faith in it holding for long. You can see that there is almost nothing actually between the magnet and the plastic. Just a little on the edges. But it might work for what I need, for a while. Glue done been paid for. Might as well use it. I fully expect the other sole to fall off that pair of shoes, so I’m ready for that, too.

I don’t know if it would work in your application, but I’ve had success with using a forstner bit to make a recess for the magnets to sit in into plexi. IIRC it was a 3/4" dia x 1/4" thick neodymium magnet, I drilled about 1/8" into 1/4" plex. The recess gave more surface area for the adhesive. This was a door for a museum exhibit.

I’ve done exactly that for Brio scale trains I made. Wood glue was all that was needed at that point to hold the magnets.

Ideally, that is what I would like to do. A little outside my skill range. I’ve got a cheap router, but never have been able to ever get any decent results and would just break bits and tear stuff up. What I did do, was drill a few holes where the magnet would sit, allowing a little goodness to ooze into the plexi. Still failed. But that was with the epoxy.

Stuck the plexi on the Jeep yesterday and it held. Not much load on it, and the magnets will never fall off the vehicle. You need pliers to get these things off anything.

It would be nice if you could do that with expandable foam tubes. You buy a can of that stuff, use it to fill in a crack or hole, and then the rest of the can is useless because you can’t clean out the application tube. Good thing it’s cheap.

I mean … just how committed to the project are you ?

Thanks. That’s even the brand I have.

Silly question, but if the magnets are that strong, how about using a piece of steel on the other side of the plexiglass to hold them in place? Glue the steel, not the magnet.

I was going to suggest attaching a magnet on each side :slight_smile: Maybe one side of the plexiglass needs to stay flat, though?

Wanted to add, I needed to glue two pieces of metal with a non-negligible gap, and I borrowed from a friend some kind of white stuff in a plastic squeeze tube, Rhino brand. Not sure if it was polyurethane or what, but am willing to believe some professional construction adhesives might do a better job than generic Gorilla Glue for some applications, the same way 3M VHB tape is better than no-name tape.

So, come to think of it, you could try 3M VHB on your magnets…