Resolved: Gorilla Glue IS The Shit!

I was skeptical, and normally don’t fall for advertising. But I had this very comfortable, but cheap-ass shoe. The entire sole fell off. Hummm….

Thought maybe something like caulk or that construction goop, but didn’t have any and didn’t want to waste a whole tube of it, 'cause once you open it, well use it or lose it.

Got a small bottle of GG, not expecting much, but DAMN! That stuff is genius! You use just a tiny bit, and it almost expands like that expanding foam does, but it gets HARD and bonds like mad!

Good stuff. So, like Rain-X, Gorilla Glue is a product that works like they say it does on TV.

Just don’t start flinging it.

Funny, that was exactly my last use of Gorilla Glue too. I agree it’s amazing.

I had grabbed a pair of old athletic shoes off the closet shelf without checking them too closely earlier in the year on a work trip to San Francisco. I was going to rent a road bike and tour the Marin Headlands, etc. on the Sunday. Normally I wear clip-in-shoes, but I assumed that wouldn’t be an option on the rental. They literally fell apart within a few minutes of getting on the bike. Complete sole detachment on one.

Slathering a whole bunch of Gorilla Glue from a Walgreens over them kept them intact enough for a day of riding. Very impressive.

Oddly Gorilla Glue is a terrible wood glue for outdoor use on hardwoods or really just anything harder than pine.

But hey, if it works for shoes, good for you. Those tubes of dollar store super glue gel work well on shoes too. Reminds mean of the old glue Duco Cement.

I’m not sure I agree entirely with that. While I was partial to TiteBond, there were times when Gorilla Glue was all I had.

It’s activated by moisture, so a hit on both sides of the joint with a damp sponge, and … Bob’s your uncle.

But it wasn’t ever my go-to glue.

To the OP … maybe a minor thread jack, but …

This … for me … was utterly life-changing :slight_smile:

My experience has been that it expands more than is useful for repairs where neatness counts. So I avoid it.

Titebond is one of the best for wood working. Gorilla Glue I found no better than Elmer’s Wood Glue. But that’s for wood, not shoes.

I take it you aren’t Dutch :wink:

Personally, for shoes, I would’ve grabbed a tube of Shoe Goo.

Skateboarders wear through athletic shoes on the side of the toe, from rubbing them on grip tape doing kickflips. So you see a lot of Shoe Goo’ed Shoes.

Next attempt: Glue magnets to Plexi-glass! I’ll let you know how that works out.

(Hopefully,) Feeding the Knowledge Base …

The reverse, however, is not true. The shit IS NOT Gorilla Glue. Do not attempt this substitution!

I was totally unprepared for the amount of expansion when I used it to assemble some wooden shelves I had built. I spent more than a little time carving that shit off.

Has anyone used the clear Gorilla Glue, which is not supposed to expand?

That expansion. The third rule is “Clamp It!”

I seem to recall Broomstick (ex-cobbler) pleading with people to never, never, never, never use Gorilla Glue for shoe repair.

That was funny.

I’ve never had any luck with glue for shoe repair, I find the shoe moves too much and the glued parts separate pretty quickly. Then again, I’ve never tried Gorilla Glue.

My Teva river sandals are getting up there, age wise. I know at some point they’ll fail, then I’ll glue, then that will fail. I should just buy a new pair; I know I eventually will.