Resolved: Yankees fans are fucking idiots and Carlos Delagado rocks (kind of lame)

Toronto Blue Jays star, Carlos Delgado opposes the Iraq war. For some time now he has been quitely protesting by reamining seated in the dugout or heading up the tunnel during performances of the wretched patriotic song “God Bless America” at baseball games. Usually, fan don’t even notice. At Yankee Stadium, it was different.

Yes, these “fiercely patriotic” fans are so patriotic that they absolutely can’t abide somebody not standing up for “God Bless America.” never mind that it’s not the National Anthem. Never mind that you’re not supposed to stand up for that piece of shit song. Never mind that standing up for it is in itself a political act. At Yankee Stadium if you quitely abstain from standing up, you get your ass booed off.

Was Delgado trying to make a scene? Was he looking for attention?

Yes what a slap in the face. What a powerful statement of contempt for America. The only way to show him what America is all about is to boo him or chant “USA” at him like a bunch of morons.

Fucking Yankees fans, man. I hope their team misses the playoffs.

Delgado is more of an American than any of those dickheads that booed him.

My Dad brought me up believing that the Yankees (and presumably their fans) and Republicans were the Anti-Christ. Not that he used that term, but that was in essence the meaning.

My Dad is a great and brilliant man. Also foresighted. Although I don’t think even he foresaw events as they have unfolded.

On the plus side, the Mets won the 1969 world series, so sometimes the world actually makes sense. :cool:

So he can express his sentiments but they can’t express theirs? I think it’s fine that he wants to make his protest. Generally a protest comes with a cost. Getting booed and still drawing a multi-million dollar salary doesn’t seem too bad to me. Yankee fans do the same shit to their own players when they’re in a batting slump.

Haj

I didn’t say the fans couldn’t express their sentiments, I’m just expressing my sentiments towards theirs.

It’s not even like Delgado made any sort of active or obtrusive protest. He just went into the dugout tunnel during a song. Since when is it mandatory to stand for “God Bless America” or anti-American not to?

Your father was a wise man. :wink:

Good point, haj.

I think it’s been proven conclusively over the years that the Yankees have some of the most ignorant fans of any major baseball city. Remember when they booed Derek Jeter? Sorry, you don’t do that to the heart and soul of the team you cheer for. It would be like a Dodger fan booing Gagne after a period of blown saves, an Angels fan booing Tim Salmon or Darin Erstad, a Mets fan booing Piazza, or a Mariners fan booing Edgar. It’s just not done.

Hmmm, I guess that is good point. If they’ll boo Derek Jeter, I guess they’ll boo anybody.

Awwwwww… poor Carlos.

Look, it doesn’t matter whether you’re Carlos Delgado or John Rocker, Rush Limbaugh or the Dixie Chicks, Reggie White or Mel Gibson. If you use your position as a celebrity to say things that people find offensive, they’re going to let you know it.

If Carlos doesn’t like being booed, I understand. But he has only two choices, just as we all do:

1. Keep his mouth shut.

2. Say what he thinks, but be prepared to take the heat.

He chose option #2, so he deserves whatever he gets.

And if fans want to boo like a bunch of intolerant, boorish, anti-American assholes I can call them names on the internet.

So y’all got something in common!

…but I didn’t bag on you just for having an opinion and stating it.

Haj

It’s not as if he went out of his way to make his statement. In fact, he’s been doing it all year and it hasn’t been noticed until now, so it’s not as if he’s waving around telling people they’re stupid. It’s come up now because he’s been asked about it in interviews, so he said why he’s doing it. I would hardly call this ‘using his position as a celebrity’.

He did? Because sitting quietly in a dugout sounds a lot more like option 1, and nothing at all like option 2 to me.

Don’t you mean **pro-**American assholes? Those doing the booing perceived Delgado’s stance as anti-American.

Although not verbally spoken, the act of dissent spoke.

Personally, I defend both his right to not observe what he feels is a patriotic song fest, and the right of others to deride his decision. Freedom of speech is a two-edged sword.

Let’s not lump all Yankees fans in here. You get “scattered” boos at Yankee Stadium, that’s not too bad. Players get booed there all the time for a whole lot less. Derek got more than scattered boos when he was batting .200 early in the year, and Don Mattingly got a similar treatment when he stunk it up after signing a big contract. It’s a place that feels pretty free to boo and cheer.

They have short memories at the Stadium.

Oh, and for the record, if he doesn’t want to stand, that’s fine by me. Some of these overly patriotic demands get a bit on the creepy side. Have you ever seen the ads for the Tom Clancy video games, with the kids saying the pledge of allegiance? ::shudder:: That thing wigs me out every time.

And don’t get me started on that childish USA chant. :rolleyes:

I couldn’t agree more. With both points.

I’m a lifelong Yankee fan but agree wholeheartedly with Delgado. The patriotic God Bless America 7th inning stretch is an abomination to baseball. Play Take Me Out to the Ballgame- period. It creates an unnecessarily long break in play and puts the visiting pitcher at a disadvantage as he has to stand there and get cold.

It isn’t like Delgado is saying, “hey look at me! I’m a celebrity so you have to listen to what I say”. He is quietly protesting in a manner that does not call attention to himself. Nothing wrong with that. Amazing that the dolts that chant U-S-A and say the the terrorists hate our freedoms are so quick to condemn someone that is merely exercising his freedom.

That’s because they’re morons. Booing dissent is what is anti-American…especially such a quiet and respectful act of dissent as Delgado practices.

That’s a good point. I only direct my ire at those who booed and will now offer praise to those who were respectful or who were at least big enough not be obnoxious about it even if they disagreed with Delgado.

My feelings are not at all colored by being a frustrated Twins fan who is sick of getting his ass kicked by the Yankees…really…that has nothing to do with it…seriously…

You guys are all a bunch of fucking morons, criticising what you don’t understand. The people of NYC are still feeling the effects of 9/11 while the rest of the country has pretty much moved on. Have any of you ever even been to a Yankee game? Just before the song starts playing, the announcer asks for a moment of silent prayer to “remember the service -men and - women who have given their lives in defense of our country…” Is it required to stand for that? No. But I’d rather stand in silence for real people doing a service, than even the fucking national anthem. Oh, and I hate the fact that he says “prayer”, and I’m tempted to get all pissy because I’m an athiest. But I get the point. You see, as a Yankee fan, and Native (displaced) New Yorker, I’m smarter than the rest of the fans in the league. I know that the point is to show solidarity for the poor bastards who died in a stupid war. I also know that my want to protest something I believe very strongly about has nothing to do with the situation at hand.
Also, just so you know, when the poeple at the stadium were booing Jeter, they were booing the performance, not the man. They knew what he was capable of, and didn’t like that he wasn’t living up to it. Jeter said in an interview that he understood that.
And if you’ll remember, when Alfonso Soriano, a man who played like crap last post season, came back to Yankee Stadium as a Ranger, the fans gave him a standing ovation. What a bunch of classless morons they are in the Bronx.
PS, I kinda agree with Haj that you were doing to Yankee fans what they were doing to Delgado, which in and of itself invalidates your point.

PPS, Sorry about your Twins… maybe you can become a Tigers fan.

Also a lifelong Yankee fan and NYer, and I agree with BobLibDem.

At 6 2/3rd innings, it is time to take a bathroom break. I don’t need a religious song to remember the men and women who lost their life on 9/11. I just need to look out my office window. Maybe if they start singing “God Bless Everyone Equally” I’ll be less offended by the song. Maybe if they find a song that didn’t pretend that God favored us or this continent, I’ll be less offended.

Carlos Delgado isn’t the problem. The problem are the NY hack writers who made a mountain out of nothing. Too many sports talkers (even given my low opinion of journalists, I wouldn’t insult them by considering those who write for the sports pages one), too few stories and far too little skill.