Return to the Batcave

It was Hollywood in the 60s – who knows what funky drugs and kink that chick may have been into…

Yes, but in my mind I see “stunt doubles” that look like “really obvious stunt doubles”, then close-ups of the actual stars for the witty repartée.

Damn, I remember watching the original series on KOFY TV 20 in San Francisco every morning. Are they going to re-show the movie?

From cbs.com:

She doesn’t even show up on the IMDb.

wow…now that is surprising. And I thought it was just a case of aging actor egos…

I still can’t imagine either of them in those roles. That would’ve been a hoot, though. Can you imagine Burt Ward continuing with the career of Dustin Hoffman: “And now, getting the Academy Award for Rainman: Burt Ward!!!”

Speaking of villain cameos, wasn’t that Lee Meriwether (Catwoman from the 1966 Batman movie) playing the waitress with the glasses in the diner, who just happened to be the female fan with glasses that got Adam West to sign her breast back in the 60’s?

IMDB only has a short list of the cast.

wiidershin A-ha! Maybe. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out who she was… Okay, I confess, anyone onscreen who was above the age of 60 I assumed was a cameo appearance of some kind.

Just to give credit where credit is due–the DVD of Diamonds Are Forever has the Adam West reference on it. The producers (for some strange reason) wanted to make Bond “more American.”

Dana Broccoli, widow of Bond producer Albert R. Broccoli, says :
“Adam West was on a publicity tour in London and he did come to the house–and of course, he was under contract playing Batman. I guess you might say that they had the conversation. He was considered.”*

BTW, according to the doc, had Connery not returned as Bond, the part would have gone to John Gavin, best know as Janet Leigh’s lover in Psycho.

Want a strange world? Imagine Burt Ward starrring in the Graduate and because of the mammoth failure Mike Nichols reteams with Elaine May and gets out of movies.

It is also a convention in expensive movies too.
You know like the button shown early in the film where another character says “Don’t press it or the hydraulic press will be activated” Then we don’t see it again until the end of the film when the hero needs to smoosh the villain.

In the show we had a shot of Adam getting in his car and driving his car so we know (it is established) he has a car and we know what type of car it is.

So When Burt offers his car Adam replies

“Let’s take my car. It’s been established”

The joke, in my mind, was more of a self aware reference to the fact that yes we are acting like actors in a movie and we know it’s a movie. Ahhhh heck it gets less funny as I try to explain it.

I thought it was great.

I think they missed one opportunity though - that was Lee Meriwether. I think they could have had a great time having both Meriwether and Julie Newmar playing the same role - switching from shot to shot (and Eartha Kitt, too, if they woulda gotten her).

Okay, now that really would have been funny.

Newmar (standing next to Gorshin): You’re doomed, has-been!

Adam West: Frank Gorshin and Julie Newmar!.. you stole the Batmobile.

Meriwether (dressed in Newmar’s outfit, standing next to Gorshin): That’s right , we lured you here.