rice crackers

I love these suckers at $3.00 a box. They were reportedly once “hand made”.
Does anyone have a recipe?

Are you talking about the puffed rice type crackers or the Japanese-style rice crackers referred to as “arare” (ah-rrah-rray, roll the Rs)?

Arare can be seen here: http://www.crackseeds.com/arare.html

Is arare a Hawaiian word? I*ve only heard them called senbei here?

Hmm. I’m fairly sure it’s Japanese…senbei here is a larger, flatter cracker as shown in this picture: http://store.yahoo.com/bvkmall/kamsen7oz.html

and here’s a better picture.
http://www.kippo.or.jp/culture/water/food/img/fd_29.jpg

Senbei are flat cookie-like things made from rice.

Arare are small and round, about the size of a pea.

The ones that are spicy and shiny brown are “kaki-no-tane”, or “persimmon seeds” coz that’s what they look like. They usually come as an accompaniment with beer.

Mmm…beer.

So, Tsubaki, a beer and some arare? :smiley:

Wait…are we not awaiting a BabyTsubaki?

Yeah, but I’m in the fifth month, so chuck me a can of Asahi Super-Dry will ya? :smiley:

Arare is roasted mochi. Mochi is usually translated as “rice cake” - it’s glutinous rice (different from regular short-grain rice), steamd and pounded into a paste-like consistnecy. Store-bought mochi look and feel like plastic, but becomes soft when heated in a toaster oven. I think you can make arare by cutting up some store-bought mochi and roasting it in a frying pan, but I haven’t tried it myself.

Senbei is made from rice flour (regular short-grain rice). I found one recipe in Japanese here but it’s so complex I don’t even want to translate it, let alone try to make it myself. The only ingredients are rice flour (130g) and water (100cc), and the sauce is made from soy sauce, sugar, starch and some dashi (broth, or maybe MSG, I’m not sure which they are referring to). Briefly: you mix the flour and water and knead, boil it for 30 minutes, rinse/cool it in cold water, knead it again, shape into flat disks, dry it in the sun(?) for a day, then roast for one hour over low heat.

The Japanese seem to have a clear distinction between food which you can cook at home, and things you leave to professionals. These senbei are clearly in the latter category so it’s a bit difficult to find good recipes.

All this discussion and we still don’t know if carnivorousplant even meant arare. :smiley:

I’m still thinking about the puffed rice cakes, like the Quaker(?) brand sells. As for arare and senbei, it’s so much easier for me to just go out and buy them at my local supermarket that I have never even thought of getting a recipe for them.

Tsubaki, mmm that sounds good. Although, when I had baby in me, I resorted to drinking O’Douls (which isn’t half-bad for a non-alcoholic brew). :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm… arare… I remember the tourists looking at the ‘menu’ for the food booths at Aloha Stadium and trying to figure out what the heck this ‘ar…a…raarareaa…thingy’ was. :wink: Anyone else here refer to it as ‘mochi crunch’?

munches contentedly on honey norimaki

Since the title is ‘rice crackers’, I’d assume it’s referring to arare or some variant thereof…

<< All computers wait at the same speed. >>

Hmmm… arare… I remember the tourists looking at the ‘menu’ for the food booths at Aloha Stadium and trying to figure out what the heck this ‘ar…a…raarareaa…thingy’ was. :wink: Anyone else here refer to it as ‘mochi crunch’?

munches contentedly on honey norimaki

Since the title is ‘rice crackers’, I’d assume it’s referring to arare or some variant thereof…

<< All computers wait at the same speed. >>

Whoops, sorry for the double post there folks. Grrr. :confused:

Could be worse.
You could’ve apologized twice.

Regarding the OP, does anyone have a recipe?

Well, uh…we’re not really sure what type you’re talking about.

Since your location is possibly on tha mainland(?) what I think are “rice crackers” may be a totally different thing to you.

Is it the aforementioned Arare, or is it “puffed” rice crackers?

In either case I don’t have one on me but I’m sure I could find one for you.

They are the Japanese style, but they are from a joint in California.
:slight_smile:

Mmm. Unforutnately no, I don’t have any recipies to make arare: I can find you a bunch that use it though.

I would assume you get the glutinous rice powder, make it into a dough-like consitancy with water (sugar water?), brush with shoyu (soy sauce) and bake until crispy. Dunno how accurate that would be, nor what proportions you should use.

<< I’ve got a modem and I’m not afraid to use it! >>

Those I have found use rice flour; the package says glutinous rice.
I thought glutinous rice was cooked :slight_smile: so the rice flour recipes must be the ones to try.
Thanks.
Sesame oil, chili oil, Swan soy. Yum.