Rick's and Johnny's mini-Dopefest

Rick was up in Vancouver yesterday, and we decided to meet in Bellingham. Unfortunately, Scotticher had to work and couldn’t make it.

Apparently Osama had tried to crash the border or something, as Rick was delayed there. I hung out at the Bay Street coffee house and read the alternative papers and drank coffee. Rick arrived and we chatted about stuff and drank some coffee. He has lots of British car stories, and I’m always happy to hear them!

I’d taken the Herald to the shop for brakes, and to see about getting my reverse gear back. I was told I need to get a caliper rebuild kit and brake pistons, and that I’d have to take the transmission to a transmission shop. Rick and I went to the shop, which was only a couple of miles away, and he looked at it. We rode in the Volvo convertible he was using. Sweet ride! Rick told the guys at the shop that removing the transmission from a Herald was an easy job – the only car you can remove the transmission from whilst sitting down. They decided they’d have another look at it.

Soon, we headed back to the coffee house so we could go our separate ways. We’ll have to do it again!

And, Rick: Nice watch! :slight_smile:

Sorry I just got on line for the first time since Sunday. It’s a bitch when work cuts into your doping time. :smiley:
JohnnyLA has always been one of my favorite dopers, and I have missed seeing him at the last couple of LA shindigs, so when I planed this trip, I tried to arrange the travel between YVR and SEA so that we could get together.
Bellingham is a way cool town, seems like a wonderful place. Coffee was good, stories were good, we went and saw harold the herald. Harold is just like the one I worked on, god was that really 35 years ago?
Anyway I have to go back to YVR in two weeks, so we may get Bellingham dope fest part duex on sunday the 26.
Scotticher are you in?
PS thanks for the comment about the watch, yours is way cooler however. :slight_smile:

Nah, mine’s definitely un-hip. That’s one of the reasons I like it!

Say, you were talking about that fully-restored chrome-bumper MGB GT for 20 grand. How about $3,000 (currently) for a '67 with o/d in good condition in San Diego?

You know you want to.

And since you liked the Herald, here’s one currently at $99 in Texas. The bad news is that it’s a 1960, which means it’s a 948cc model. The good news is that it doesn’t have an engine, so you can put whatever you want in it! :smiley:

Oh, and you’ll need a transmission as well. So why not swap in a 1500cc Spitfire engine and transmission? Okay, it also needs a new windscreen. And upholstery. And a dashboard, since the one it has is in poor shape. The car has a little rust… But you could Save A Herald!

(Looks like there’s a GT6 in the background, too.)

I’ve ordered the caliper repair kit, brake pistons and rotors from Victoria British. Hi Tech said they haven’t looked at the transmission yet, but I missed a call yesterday and it looks like their number. VicBrit has reman transmissions for $900, not $1,000.